Jewish Weddings

Parent's Ketubah?

Hi Knotties,

In searching for our own Ketubah, I stubmled across this concept of a 'parents ketubah' - something you give as a give to your parents as  a 'thank you' for raising you, blah blah....

I thought it was a very unique concept, something special to give our parent's as a thank you.

Has anyone ever done this or heard of it? Not eve sure their is a 'jewish' reason behind it.

Thanks!
Jen

Re: Parent's Ketubah?

• edited December 2011
    I don't quite understand it.  I think of the ketubah as the marriage contract, and contracts are generally forward-looking, so I don't get how you could do a "thank you ketubah" or what that would be.  Maybe someone else has heard of it, though. 

A lovely piece of Jewish art would be a beautiful parent gift, though, and you could have the design personalized.  Maybe you could include the text of the blessing parents say for their kids on Shabbat?  Just a random idea!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep. We gave them (the ones from ketubahketubah.com). My parents have it hanging in their bedroom, and my ILs have it out somewhere (I forget where). It's not a ketubah like a wedding ketubah, but it basically follows all the promises in a regular ketubah and thanks the parents for teaching you about those things. It's just a gift, there's no reason to do it.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • edited December 2011
    You are probably referring to the parents’ gift ketubah. We got one for my parents from theketubahcompany.com.This is basically a mini print of your Ketubah with a thank you text instead of your text, that you give the parents as a thank you gift. This came out as a really beautiful gift an my parents got really emotional over it!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I am a Ketubah artist. I like the idea of a parents' gift. I have an art print website where I offer personalized prints for special occassions such as the one you mentioned above. If you would like to check out my sites please visit www.allysonblockartprints.com and www.allysonblockjudaica.com

Thanks,
    Allyson
  • edited December 2011
    My sister-in-law did this too.  She bought them from www.ketubah.com in designs that matched her ketubah- in canvas which was gorgeous!.  There is no Jewish reason behind it, just a beautiful way to thank your parents. I believe the sizes are standard so you can just buy a standard store bought frame- nothing expensive or fancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards