New York

Seamstress

Hey ladies, its Bridgett, long story short I had to delete my account and start over.

Ive decided I need to start looking into having my dress tailored but I have no idea where to start. My dress was only $600 so I dont want to spend a lot but at the same time its 9...yes 9 (!) layers thick so I need someone good. Any ideas?

Also, when should I have it tailored if Im getting married in may? I plan on losing weight, but I don't think thats an issue with my dress...its really the length (Im pretty short). So should I have it done soon, or wait to see if any weight loss affects the dress? Mind you, Ive put on 5lbs since buying it and want to lose 10ish..
May 2011-December Siggy My favorite registry item.
(I managed to shatter the glass in our coffee table so we have none!)
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seamstress

• edited December 2011
    I would get started on sooner rather than later... especially if the length is the only issue.  Many of my friends had to have one "big" inital alteration then one or two small touch ups within the few months prior to the wedding.
    I would give your tailor plenty of time to work on it so he/she is not rushed.  I plan to get my dress altered immediately after I buy it, then have a final fitting 2 months prior and a second alteration if necessary (I don't plan on gaining or losing any weight, but you never know I guess).
    I use a tailor in Cicero (right across from the big shopping center with Panera, Buffalo Wild Wings, Price Chopper, etc)... it is family owned with the most adorable little Italian guy and his wife... I am not sure of the name, but I have trusted my military uniforms to them and have been very pleased with the results.  We have very strict standards for our uniforms and he did a fantastic job.  I am not sure if they do wedding dresses, but if they do, I will most likely get mine done there.
    I have heard good things about the bridal consignment shop.alterations place (also unsure of the name, sorry) on Eerie Blvd... across from Sams. 
    I have not purchased or had my dress altered yet, but once I do, I can let you know who I use.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am using a woman who works out of her home in Liverpool. Her name is Mary Golden. My dress needed the sides brought in, the halter shortened, and a bustle. The dress shop quoted me $150 and she quoted me $40. If you are interested I can PM you her address and phone number.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The place across from Sam's on Erie Blvd. is Something Old, Something New.  I REALLY love that place - I got my dress there during their 50% off sale (they're going to stop doing retail, I think).  The lady that runs the place does alterations, and she was SO GOOD with my dress.  It was a 2-piece dress, size 12, and I needed the top taken in a LOT.  She did that, fixed a broken clasp on the skirt, and instead of telling me that I needed to pay a ton of $ to have the skirt hemmed, she told me she could just add crinoline.  It worked out perfectly.  The dress was not easy to work with - very complicated - but the grand total was $54.  Stop in sometime and talk to her - she and her daughter are so nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards