Favors

Best favor you've ever received?

Re: Best favor you've ever received?

• edited December 2011
    What does everybody think of this one?  My wedding is a winter theme 12/11/10largeImage.php.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mcclurekelleymcclurekelley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best:  box filled with homemade candies.  Chocolate, caramels...yum!
    Worst:  A set of glass coasters that said "LOVE".  I sold them at a charity garage sale for 25 cents.
  • jpharisjpharis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite honestly was not getting a favor, because all the favors that have been given at the weddings I have been to were to me a waste of money. They were either food items or a pic of the couple or something with their wedding date on it. When I got married 1.5 years ago we decided not to do favors because most people we know could care less about the favors. We just made sure to publicly thank everyone for coming, and made sure to speak one on one with each of the guests during the reception and thank them for coming and chat a little bit. I think that was more meaningful than giving them a gift for coming and it saved money.
  • illybeanillybean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't think of any great favors which is why I am struggling to come up with some for ours. My fiance wants to do personalized pint glasses but then again who wants a glass with my name on it?  I like the food idea but agree it needs to be unique or its just boring. I did see a couple that did smores kits at the tables, doesn't fit with my "theme" (we don't have one which I know....gasp)  I am more than open to suggestions!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-youve-ever-received?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:e0497ed8-f605-4ee9-a618-de7a6c08c676Post:86ce88bf-81ee-4717-b77b-6c2d0cb344d3">Re: Best favor you've ever received?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't think of any great favors which is why I am struggling to come up with some for ours. My fiance wants to do personalized pint glasses but then again who wants a glass with my name on it?  I like the food idea but agree it needs to be unique or its just boring. I did see a couple that did smores kits at the tables, doesn't fit with my "theme" (we don't have one which I know....gasp)  I am more than open to suggestions!
    Posted by illybean[/QUOTE]

I don't like things that are personalized either, I am doing hand painted wine glasses for my favor.
  • lucy2113lucy2113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best? I can't really think of any... Most of the things I have gotten from weddings just go in the trash :( (its going to be hard to choose a favor for us! I don't want people to just throw things away like we did:(     )

Worst? I was the MOH in my Best Friends wedding  and they just give 4 or 5 pieces of candy in a tiny clear box and when they ran out they put them in a patch of tulle and gave them out that way. She didn't want to spend money on anything! So she was very cheap about 75% of her wedding.
    Holiday
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't even remember all the wedding favors I've received, but the last one we went to was great.  The bride and her family dipped oreos in colored chocolate.  Each guest got two oreos in a box with the b and g's initials.  They were absolutely delicious!!!!My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  
  • edited December 2011

The best was my sister gave tic-tacs with a sticker that had both their names and date on it. The worst was also my sisters wedding...she gave matchbooks with their name and date. It was an odd mix tic-tacs and matches...

• edited December 2011
    Best ones include:
    - A buddha head statue (wedding was in Bali)
    - Rose Quartz - (symbolizes love)

• edited December 2011
    The best favor we ever "received" was a donation to an autism awareness charity. The bride is a special education teacher so there was a lot of meaning behind it. The worst... a plastic (I guess it was supposed to look like crystal) swan with jordan almonds inside. In general I hate knick knacky dust collector type of favors.

My fiance and I are doing a winter themed wedding also and our favors tie in with that. The place cards are actually going to be mugs personalized, one side will have our names and the wedding date and the other side will be the guest's name and their table. However for those who hate personalization, never fear! It will be printed on a vellum label so you can always remove it if you don't want it... at the table their favor will be a mason jar filled with hot cocoa mix, junior mints and mini marshmallows that they can use their mugs to make :)
  • edited December 2011
    IF I REMEMBER THIS CORRECTLY THE WEDDINGS THAT IVE GONE TO IN THE PAST EITHER DIDNT HAVE FAVORS OR HAD THE SAME FAVORS WHICH WEE THE LITTLE COLORFUL MENTS.
  • RavenBeautieRavenBeautie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate is my favorite to get ;o) My least favorite are the figurines. They go in the garbage after a month.

I did a CD for mine. It is a mix CD of love songs. I made CD covers and wrapped them like a gift with bows.
    Danielle & Anthony 10~31~10
    Our Photo Book!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been to many weddings but one wedding I got a Tiffany ice cream scoop. I still have it, its alittle too fancy for me but its still very nice, if you have that kind of dough to spend on a favor. I think the worst thing to get is those little match books. We are giving out wine bottle stoppers which is kind of tired since a lot of people do that but our family is big into collecting wine so it fits us. They are Murano glass.
  • edited December 2011

Best favors are edible favors and I love my heart shaped wine cork...  I love wine so it really comes in handy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hanson2Bhanson2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  So many ideas!  Thanks everyone!  This makes me think I might just do a candy table with little bags at the table, so people can take candy home if they want it, but they don't have to.  Although I like the personalized Tic-Tacs and the chocolate covered Oreos idea, too!!  Hmmm... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We were married in Vegas and when we had a party back home we had a deck of cards and shot glasses filled w/ smarties (picked smarties b/c we're both smart asses - so it was cute) And I heard all positive comments about our choices. The cards are still enjoyed and by people of all ages - and when the guest heard why we picked smarties they all giggled (cuz its true, lol)

I read the comment above about lotto tickets - what a nice idea!
    Anniversary
  • Coll&RossColl&Ross member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best: CDs are always my favorite

Worst: Jar of peach jelly the bride made - left mine on the table.
  • edited December 2011
    personalized candels from my cousins wedding; i was a bridesmaid and so it was fun assisting with the diy part of the favor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Best: I went to a fall wedding where they gave out real maple syrup in the cutest containers...we all used them on our pancakes the next morning!

I've received a lot of bad ones though... like blue/silver engraved shot glasses at one wedding and tiny packs of bath salts at another. Hardly anyone even took home the bath salts...you would need three packs for a full bath/lots of people don't bath/most men are not too keen on filling up a bathtub and throwing in some lavender salts.
  • edited December 2011
    The best favor I think I've ever gotten was a bottle of wine with the bride and grooms new last name and ate of the wedding.

The cutest favor I've ever gotten was an airplane cookie. The couple who was getting married met on an airplane and got engaged on an airplane--they attached the story to the cookie. It was ver cute and very clever.
  • edited December 2011
    Best favor was a CD personalized for the B&G, I still listen to it today! Something edible that was truely yummy were chocolate covered sunflower seeds!

Worst was a box of matches with thier personalization - it wasn't a cheap wedding so the favors just seemed a little out of place.

We've almost decided to do a destionation wedding and our favors will be welcome bags, including flip flops, list of local events and activities, our itinerary, coupons to local places and various other helpful hints!

Best of luck!
  • oka1cacoka1cac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A CD the couple put together of their favorite love songs.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-youve-ever-received?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e0497ed8-f605-4ee9-a618-de7a6c08c676Post:b21dfe18-34c5-4139-af08-5cbaf9b4225b">Re: Best favor you've ever received?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The best I ever got at a wedding was a scratch off lotto ticket.  I didn't win,  but a lot of people won a few bucks, and it was something that everyone enjoyed and used.  I also love getting bottles of wine, and once I got gourmet chocolates.  The worst was probably a mini picture frame with jordan almonds.  I now have learned that there is meaning behind them as favors, but I'm not a fan. <strong>We had a photo booth at our wedding, so we had photo strip frames at every seat.  They get their copy of the picture and the frame</strong>, and many people told us it was the best favor ever.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the frame for that size?
  • Michaela2290Michaela2290 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are giving personalised fortune cookies, the message inside will have thank you on one side and a love or romantic quote on the other... havent chosen those yet.. but by far the best favour ever was at my mom's cousins wedding, she is japanese and they came to his home for a white wedding, her parents couldn't make it although they had another wedding in Japan, but her father made hand-crafted wall decoration page things that can be folded up, each with a different japenese symbol and its english translation for each guest, i still have mine... they were beautiful and hand crafted with such attention and care...
  • NHill1283NHill1283 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents went to a wedding 2 years ago and the favor was the picture & frame from the photo booth.  They loved this idea so much, my dad basically told me that's what we are going to do at our wedding!
    Don't really have a "worst" gift, but my cousin gave out coasters and has so many left over that her parents were pretty much begging people to take a bunch home.  Not a very useful gift to have lots of.
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding this summer between two recently graduated engineers. they gave out mechanical pencils with a punny saying, thier names/date etc. They were perfect because they fit the personalities of the b and g, jfit thier budget as recent college graduates, and are useful for everyone especially the rest of us who havent graduated yet. I can handle personalized gifts in situations like this. who really cares if your pencil has someone else's name on it? lots of people took extras. i am always losing my pens and pencils so this was one favor i was happy to take.
  • edited December 2011
    the best favor is NO favor...do a donation.  people end up throwing out anything you're going to get.  the other option is candy of some sort, i guess.

the worst is definitely CDs of the couple's favorite songs, cuz frankly, who listens to CDs anymore??  i don't even own a CD player!  and another was coasters w/pics of the bride and groom.  that's great, but not offense i don't need your pics plasters all over MY coffee table.

go with a donation...by FAR the best favor, cuz then your guests don't have to schlep anything home!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I love this post.. gave me so many great ideas!
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • starryeyed13starryeyed13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The besty favor i ever received was a note that said that in lieu of favors a donation had been made to a charity that the bride and grrom were supporters of. My fiance and I are planning on doing the same thing and donating to a charity that we both feel strongly about - I think this will mean alot more than a bag of M&M's in our wedding colors, or a heart shaped cookie. 
  • edited December 2011
    Best favor I ever received was a pair of flip flops.  The  bride took the time to decorate flip flops for each female guest!  After I rsvp-ed she called to ask me what size shoe I wore...lol.  I don't remember what the guys got, but every female guest was thankful and we danced the night away in our bedazzled flip flops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards