Maine

Maine Knotties Roll Call! (Fun Post!)

Good morning ladies! Let's get this board more active! 

Your Name:
FI's Name:
Wedding Date:
Ceremony Location:
Reception Location:
Where are you with wedding planning?:
Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:
Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?
Did you grow up in Maine?
Did your FI grow up in Maine?
Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
The truth behind a well laced dress

Re: Maine Knotties Roll Call! (Fun Post!)

• ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: JennyFI's Name: TomWedding Date: September 10, 2011 Ceremony Location: Fort PophamReception Location: Lewiston RamadaWhere are you with wedding planning?:  Booked my venues, caterer, photographer, and baker, have a florist and DJ lined up. Picked out my dress and will be purchasing it over Thanksgiving when my sister is in town, we will also be picking out bridesmaid's dresses at that time. I've also done a ton of DIY stuff.Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Negotiate with your vendors, a lot of them are willing to work with you on the price. It is possible to have an affordable wedding in Maine with everything you want.Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? We are currently living in mid-coast MaineDid you grow up in Maine? I grew up in Topsham, and went to Mt. Ararat! Did your FI grow up in Maine? Nope, he was born in Texas, and spent his childhood between Chicago and Kansas City. He just moved to Maine in July. Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? We moved to Maine in July so that I could be closer to family, and my FI fell in love with the landscape. So now we are planning the oceanside wedding of our dreams.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: Holly
    FI's Name: Eric
    Wedding Date: 7/16/11
    Ceremony Location: Fort Williams
    Reception Location: Howard Johnson's Portland Convention Center
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Venue, photographer, DJ and officient booked, favors purchased, centerpieces designed and materials for 1/3 are purchased already, going dress shoping next Friday.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Know your budget before you do anything else!  And if you have contacts who work in the wedding business...use them if you can.  I'm getting a good deal on the DJ (a long-time friend) and my officient is the principal in my school.
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Live in Portland but I've taught in Bath for 13 years.
    Did you grow up in Maine? No - Born in MA, 6th-12 grade in NH, came to Maine for college and never left.
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yup - Born and raised in Portland.
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? We live here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name:Sara
    FI's Name:Nick
    Wedding Date:7/30/11
    Ceremony Location: Laurel Hill Chapel (Saco)
    Reception Location: The Captain's Galley (OOB)
    Where are you with wedding planning? I would like to think I am about half way, some things I have completly figured out like my centerpieces and some things I havent even touch yet like invitations.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides? Research! No wedding website is going to tell you the BEST places---most likely just the pricy ones.
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? I do, Southern Maine
    Did you grow up in Maine? Yes, Central (went to MCI)
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yes Saco (went to TA)
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Born, raised and will always be a mainah where else would I get married ; )

ivyrose OMG i love your ceremony location!!!! I didnt know there was such a beautiful fort in that area!!

hcorrigan : Let me know if you have gen questions about fort williams my FI and I photographed a wedding there this past summer and I attended one 2 summers ago. Depending on location i may make up a sign or two, to try and make people aware there is a wedding going on, so many random people ended up being in pictures, but that is what will happen at a public place
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name: Rebecca
    FI's Name: Matt
    Wedding Date: 9.17.11
    Ceremony Location: Lakewood Inn Restaurant in Madison
    Reception Location: Same as ceremony
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Right where I need to be, DJ is next on the list
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Keep it fun and the DIY projects are the best way to add a personal touch and save some $$$
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Central Maine
    Did you grow up in Maine? Yes
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yes
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Found the right venue at the right price! It was going to be Maine or New Hampshire either way.

• edited December 2011
    Your Name: Danielle
    FI's Name: Nana
    Wedding Date: June 25. 2011
    Ceremony Location: Bethel United Methodist Church
    Reception Location: Sunday River Grand Summit Ballroom
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Pretty much done all the big stuff, all vendors booked, dress bought.  Just working on all the little details at this point.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Try to have fun, and enjoy every minute.  We only get to have this experience of being engaged once!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Yup, central maine
    Did you grow up in Maine? Sure did, a little town called Peru :)
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Not even close, lol.  He grew up in Ghana, West Africa
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Its where we and most of my family live.  Since FI family would have to travel no matter where we had the wedding they would have had to travel.  Bethel is close to where I grew up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name:  Jen
    FI's Name:  Josh
    Wedding Date:  6.18.11
    Ceremony Location:  Harbor View at Jones Landing
    Reception Location:  Harbor View at Jones Landing
    Where are you with wedding planning?:  Good question, need to finalize everything.. have most big things taken care of, dress is picked out I just need to go put the deposit on it (was hoping to lose weight.. oh well), bridesmaid dresses are picked out and just need to be ordered.. etc.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:  Don't drag your feet like I have!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Yup, Southern Maine (Westbrook)
    Did you grow up in Maine?  Yup, Portland
    Did your FI grow up in Maine?  Yes, Abbot 
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location?  It's breath takingly beautiful!!
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: RachelleFI's Name: KevinWedding Date: 10/8/11Ceremony Location: not sure yetReception Location: Sunday RiverWhere are you with wedding planning?: Trying to book my vendors and thinking about dresses.Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Nope, I live in Boston.Did you grow up in Maine? Nope! Just love the area. Did your FI grow up in Maine? Nope - we are both from MA.Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Gorgeous backdrop for a fall wedding, it's affordable, we wanted somewhat of a destination wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: Amy
    FI's Name: Andy
    Wedding Date:  Summer 2011
    Ceremony Location:  TBD
    Reception Location: TBD
    Where are you with wedding planning?:  square 1!
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:  Not really because I'm a huge mess with planning and making decisions, you don't want to be taking advice from me!!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?  Freeport
    Did you grow up in Maine?  Yep, Hudson (30 min outside of bangor)
    Did your FI grow up in Maine?  Yep, Kenduskeag/Stetson
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location?  Staying nearby, as I love my home state.
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! It's a pleasure to meet all of you!

amshaw1: come join us on the September 2011 board! the ladies are great and don't bite (hard) 
  • edited December 2011

Your Name:  Mel
    FI's Name:  Glenn
    Wedding Date:  10/11/09
    Ceremony Location:  Westbrook-Warren Congregational Church
    Reception Location:  Keeley the Katerer's
    Where are you with wedding planning?:  happily married...  :)
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:  enjoy every minute of the day, it goes by SO fast.  Take a moment with your new hubby to take it all in, all your hard work and effort (and $$$). 
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?  We're just across the border now, in Dover, NH
    Did you grow up in Maine?  yep, Westbrook. 
    Did your FI grow up in Maine?  yes, York Beach
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? My parents are elderly and Dad has Parkinson's Disease.  It was more important for me to have my wedding in an easily accessible place (for him and other older/mobility challenged family members) than for it to be in the place of my dreams.  It turned out to be the perfect combination of both, and I wouldn't change it for anything.  Two of my aunts and an uncle have died since the wedding, and they were all overjoyed to have been able to make it.  If I had the wedding anyplace else but Westbrook, they wouldn't have been able to.

• lindsaycamirelindsaycamire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: Lindsay
    FI's Name: Nicholas
    Wedding Date: 12-31-10
    Ceremony Location: Frontier Cafe, Cinema, and Gallery, Brunswick ME
    Reception Location: Same
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Down to the details
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: We live in a beautiful state, so we really cannot go wrong with location :)
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Sabattus
    Did you grow up in Maine? Yes, Biddeford
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? No, Salem Massachusetts. 
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? We live here, it is easy travel for most family and friends, and Maine is beautiful.  Frontier is an old mill space with exposed beams and large windows over looking the river.  It also has a small cinema attached that will be converted into our "dance club".  We will use the projector and movie screen for a slide show and fun countdown at midnight. 
    For you I'd wait, til kingdom come. 12-31-10 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: Brittany
    FI's Name: Zac
    Wedding Date: 8/20/11
    Ceremony Location: His Uncle's 'beach house' In Harpswell/Cundy's Harbor
    Reception Location: Same as the ceremony
    Where are you with wedding planning?: I've done most of the big things-got my dress, photographer, caterer, rented all the tents tables and chairs-cake and dj next. 
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: I'm so laidback that all the details and questions start to overwhelm me..I've learned to just go with my gut. My photographer and caterer were the first people I met with and I love them. I'm happy I didn't spend a ton of time doubting myself and shopping around.
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? We do, in Bath.
    Did you grow up in Maine? Sure did, in Bath where we are now.
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Ayuh, up north in Lincoln.
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? His uncle's property and his private beach are gorgeous, the first time I was there I knew I'd marry him on that beach :)

• edited December 2011
    Your Name:  Kaitlyn
    FI's Name: David
    Wedding Date:  7/16/11
    Ceremony Location:  Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland
    Reception Location: Mariner's Church Hall
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Booked almost nothing and planning to do almost everything ourselves
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Saco

Did you grow up in Maine? Kennebunk
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Portland, Westbrook
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Beautiful place and really no place better!
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name:Trisha
    FI's Name:Nolan
    Wedding Date:1/2/11
    Ceremony Location:Holiday Inn West
    Reception Location:Holiday Inn West
    Where are you with wedding planning?:OMG 54 days left.....everything is done but my aisle runner!!!
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Off season rates are incredible.....we got about 50% off everything!!!  Florist, photographer, DJ, site fees, Officiant.....everything was a discount!!!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?  We are Mainers......Cumberland County
    Did you grow up in Maine? Both of us are true Mainers
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location?  No other place that could mean more to us!
  • meganyanimeganyani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your Name: Megan
    FI's Name: Zack
    Wedding Date: 10/10/10
    Ceremony Location: his grandpa's house, Dedham, ME
    Reception Location: inside the house
    Where are you with wedding planning?: had it a month ago :)
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: You don't need to go with the biggest/priciest vendor. So many awesome small ones to choose from!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Now I do. We live in a small town near the coast outside of Bangor.
    Did you grow up in Maine? No, I'm from South Dakota.
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yes, he is from this area.
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Because we live here and it's beautiful.
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name:  Christine
    FI's Name:  Curtis
    Wedding Date:  9/4/11
    Ceremony Location:  Ski Esta House, Newry
    Reception Location:  Same
    Where are you with wedding planning?:  Have hired all vendors, have our outfits, guys outfits, found the dress my girls will most likely wear, half-designed invitations, timeline done and have a bunch of DIY left to do.  Other major item left is rentals and planning the rehearsal dinner.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?:  Not advice on Maine specifically, although being out of state it was tougher finding vendors.  So I guess my advice to out-of-staters is to start early and plan mini-vacations to your wedding area to interview vendors and enjoy the area.  We have already made 2 trips and have at least 1 or 2 more before the big day.  The area is already special to us.
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?  Nope, MA people born and raised although we live close to the RI border.
    Did you grow up in Maine?  Nope.
    Did your FI grow up in Maine?  Nope.
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location  We were looking for a close-by destination wedding location and wanted something different.  We found our venue online in one of my searches and we were blown away by the beauty.  We knew it was just what we wanted!
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name: Anna
    FI's Name: Bryan
    Wedding Date: July 30th 2011
    Ceremony Location: Future parents in Laws backyard in Ellsworth
    Reception Location: Future parents in Laws backyard in Ellsworth
    Where are you with wedding planning?: I guess right in the middle. We just booked the tent and rentals next on the list cake and food. It's all so exciting :D
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Not yet but I bet I will be wiser after the wedding ;)
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? We are trying to find work in the Ellsworth area right now so we can move here, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
    Did you grow up in Maine? I am from Germany, my FI always spend his summers here and went to UMaine
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? In the summers yes ;)
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Because it is such a gorgeous place! I fell in love the first time I saw it!
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name: Stacey
    FI's Name: Lee
    Wedding Date: 8-27-2011
    Ceremony Location: The Woodlands
    Reception Location: same
    Where are you with wedding planning?: we have almost all vendors books other then the florist and dj but we are only waiting on the contract from the dj, i have my dress, the tuxes are picked out and reserved so we are pretty much down to the details!
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?D: look around and price people out sometimes the vendor you really like will come down on price to match someone elses price!!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Yes we do, we live in Cumberland County
    Did you grow up in Maine? No, i grew up in Vermont, joined the military and was stationed here
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? He grew up in Falmouth
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? its beautiful and all his family lives here!
  • kizzyringskizzyrings member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Name: Leesha
    FI's Name: Jeff
    Wedding Date: 5/25/2012
    Ceremony Location: Either The Carriage House or Ramada Inn
    Reception Location: Same
    Where are you with wedding planning?: We just need to make a decision between those two sites for ceremony/reception and actually put money down and purchase things.  I know which dress I want, bridesmaid's dresses, and have most everything budgeted and figured out. We bought our toasting glasses at Goodwill for $1.00 and are using a cake server passed down from my parents.
    Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Remember that it's YOUR wedding, not your mom's or FMIL's!
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state?Yes, I recently moved to Lewiston to be closer to him.
    Did you grow up in Maine? Yup in Milo
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yup in Southern Maine
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? Because this is where we were born, live and hope to grow old!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name: RebeccaFI's Name: RonWedding Date: 8/6/11Ceremony Location: undecidedReception Location: Foster's in York HarborWhere are you with wedding planning?: Ummmm...pretty far behind I think.Do you have any advice for other Maine brides?: Remember it's about you and your day - but if you make it tough for other people, it won't be fun anymore.Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? Not anymore.Did you grow up in Maine? I grew up in Lebanon, spent a couple of years in Limestone.Did your FI grow up in Maine? Yup, he lived in Augusta, Portland, Westbrook and then I made him move to Colorado with me.Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? We grew up there, we love it there, our families are there....
  • edited December 2011
    Your Name: Amy
    FI's Name: Chris
    Wedding Date: 05/28/11
    Ceremony Location: Stone Mountain Arts Center
    Reception Location: Stone Mountain Arts Center
    Where are you with wedding planning?: Much of it is included in the venue (catering etc.), I have my dress and bridesmaids dresses, a lot more is planned but not yet executed :)
    Do you live in Maine? If so, what part of the state? No, currently residing in Ohio
    Did you grow up in Maine? Yes, Yarmouth HS graduate :)
    Did your FI grow up in Maine? No, he's from Georgia.
    Why did you choose Maine (if you did) for your wedding location? My family still lives there and it remains my favorite place on earth!

If anyone knows of other brides who are/have used SMAC please let me know!  I'd love to hear about your experiences.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards