New York-New York City

NY Name Change Law

I was reviewing the name change rules on the Marriage Bureau website today, and was surprised to see that you can only change your surname through marriage, and not your middle name.  A lot of women I know (not in NY, just in general) who change their last names when they marry change their middle names, too.  I had been hoping to change my middle name when I get married.  Did anybody else run into this issue?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NY Name Change Law

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can't do it on the marriage certificate, but when I went to get my social security card, I put my name in as my First name, Maiden Name (as middle name) and my husband's last name as my last name.  They didn't give me any trouble with this.  Once you receive the social security card, you can use this to update all of your other important paperwork (passport, driver's license, etc).  I
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Rachel; the Social Security department is a lot more lenient on placing your name.  I plan to just add my married name as my second last name, just so that there'll be a record of it somewhere as I plan to keep my name, mostly for professinal reasons.

Otherwise, I like my middle name too much versus my maiden name.
  • edited December 2011
    Very interesting!  It seems like a strange loophole (that someone can change their name with SS after marriage when the marriage certificate didn't allow it, and all without going to court), but if it's open, I'll take it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards