Wedding Etiquette Forum

Look here...

Re: Look here...

• KJB, was he in a relationship when he died? I've noticed if you're status is 'in a relationship' but then the other person changes their status it now automatically changes yours to 'it's complicated'. 
  • Oh car seats are totally different. For the most part, you'll have to put your head to the window to see a car seat.

A decal? Those are just there for the drive by. And sometimes they have the names, ages, activities....

yeah. Car seats are way, way different. That requires someone lurking in your windows. One drive through a target parking lot with a car with decal, and BAM. Potential victim.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • There's a new sticker that I see more and more on cars around here. It says "Surf Life" but the way it's written I read it as "Slut Life".
  • Not gonna lie, I've always thought the family decals were kinda cute but after this thread I will never ever get them. I'm officially scared to put any child related decal on my car in the future. 
  • A friend of mine died in the Christchurch earthquake a year ago. A memorial FB page was made when she was still missing, and I think it helped to know so many people loved her and hoped she would be found.

To my knowledge, no one ever got memorial tattoos or put stuff on their cars.
  • I have a friend that has his Hawai'ian name on the rear window of his SUV with his, his wifes, and their kids names on the windows corresponding to where they sit in said SUV.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • I think on a memorial page it makes sense Special. But just on the person's regular FB page? Posting I miss you, wish you were still here, etc. The person's never going to see it. Unless God has a direct link to FB. Which he might. I don't know.
  • For those of who with a Kindle, do you recommend getting the Amazon Prime account to get more free books?  I'm debating about how I want to spend the money I've allotted out of my tax return for something that I want versus something that I need.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:a2d17e10-e3db-455b-9f28-929d8da9b7e3">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would NOT do that, Ciara.  No way.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. That is just asking for trouble.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:75518c05-f4a0-4af6-aab1-8e86e6725933">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think on a memorial page it makes sense Special. But just on the person's regular FB page? Posting I miss you, wish you were still here, etc. The person's never going to see it. Unless God has a direct link to FB. Which he might. I don't know.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.
  • I didn't even know you got free books with Prime.  Obviously no I don't have it.  But i might look into it now.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Strlz I have no idea. I have a kindle but I don't have prime.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:503d73e7-6e58-40aa-9733-f20393ac3799">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend who was killed in NY just about 3 years ago. His FB page is still open by his mom.<strong> It always throws me through a loop to see people posting on it.</strong> I haven't once. IMO posting things like that is just AWing your grief. I guess some people feel it's necessary, but it's not for me.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

<div>A good friend of mine growing up (neighbor since I was 6) was killed in a car accident my junior year of college.  He was a freshman.  I still have the last e-mail he sent me that was full of all the fun he was having at school and all the new stuff he was trying (it was in October, so not far into the school year).  I hadn't responded to it yet.  At one point a week or two after the funeral, I responded to the e-mail.  It was probably a closure thing to me, but it made me feel better at the time to think he could get that message one way or another.  After 3 years though, it's a little weird.</div>
  • edited February 2012
    My father is super paranoid about personal safety, and has passed that onto me. For years, he's been predicting stalking and kidnapping for anyone who puts the stick figures, soccer balls and other assorted decals on their cars. He's kind of a downer, but there is no way I could ever put those on my car.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:ef0eca6a-4aad-47e4-b312-c97bd35aa42b">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't even know you got free books with Prime.  Obviously no I don't have it.  But i might look into it now.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

You can get some books for free with the prime account, like the HG series for instance.
  • I have a trutle and a plumeria on my car.
  • Stlrz - if I understand it correctly - you get one free book per month - and I THINK it might be more like a loan where your access to it runs out after so long than an actual free book that you can read again in the future.  But I don't have Amazon Prime, so I might be totally mis-informed.  From what I've heard it does not really make up for the $80 annual fee to be in Amazon Prime by itself.
  • yes, it was his personal page and he was in a serious relationship.  she was managing his page, and i assume still is.  I mean, I get that she has to move on, it was just weird to see.  it was also weird to see "Dead FB friend is now friends with  Jos Schmo" after he died.  
    Photobucket
  • Ciara, does your friend think that's a good idea?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:49bc4f90-4ebf-46ba-9833-bb11588f0e1c">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stlrz - if I understand it correctly - you get one free book per month - and I THINK it might be more like a loan where your access to it runs out after so long than an actual free book that you can read again in the future.  But I don't have Amazon Prime, so I might be totally mis-informed.  From what I've heard it does not really make up for the $80 annual fee to be in Amazon Prime by itself.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>That's exactly what i just read.  One free loaner a month from their library.  Not worht $80 up front for me.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loopy again I see that definitely as a closure thing. Who knows who may have read it, but odds are no one did and it was a private way for you to grieve. I'm just not in to the in your face grieving thing. Maybe that makes me an asshole. Maybe I just don't want to be reminded randomly that one of my good friends is no longer here. I don't know. Everyone has the right to grieve in their own way, some ways are just not for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:49bc4f90-4ebf-46ba-9833-bb11588f0e1c">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stlrz - if I understand it correctly - you get one free book per month - and I THINK it might be more like a loan where your access to it runs out after so long than an actual free book that you can read again in the future.  But I don't have Amazon Prime, so I might be totally mis-informed.  From what I've heard it does not really make up for the $80 annual fee to be in Amazon Prime by itself.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Well if that's the case I don't want it.  I may have to do some more research into this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:ace828ed-6125-44ac-b45a-33002728bf08">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ciara, does your friend think that's a good idea?
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea. I have never actually asked him.

Have a good night ladies. I have to get Edmund a bath so that we can head out. It was great talking to you tonight.
  • That is weird that she's adding friends at this point. 
  • MK - I'm not into the "in your face" grieving either.  It's just uncomfortable for anyone around.  Especially when it's not recent any more.
  • That makes sense, MK. When it comes to really emotional stuff, I'm generally a very private person. I have a hard time even letting my husband see me grieve.

Reading my friend's memorial page was comforting to me, but then I felt weird about being comforted by other people grieving. I still think about her, and I still look at the page every now and then.
  • Hi!  Just got back from the TB Lightning game.
  • I don't think my friend's mom works his account, she just keeps it open. He was her only child and his death just about killed her.
  • After a certain time it just becomes awkward (posting on a deceased friend's FB wall, that is).  For my friend that died last weekend, people are still posting some stuff on her wall, and I'm sure a people from camp will probably post stuff once July gets here and it's time time to go to camp, but beyond that I find it strange.  Of course, I'm still in denial that she's actually gone, so I may think differently about it on down the road.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_look-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b9d3c35f-5df1-48f0-95ac-fea6fe342f68Post:1850d7ea-f2d4-42c7-a38f-29d353a7e543">Re: Look here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend who died did not have anyone working her account as far as I am aware.  I looked at it about 2 years after she died and it was identical to what it looked like when she passed.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>When someone dies, you can ask FB to "memorialize" their page. It locks it down and leaves everything the way it was. I think it's kind of creepy, but whatever helps people.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards