Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it tacky if...

Is it tacky if I "share" my wedding registry on facebook and other social media sites?
Of course there are plenty of people on there that haven't been invited but amazon and target give me the option to do so...Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are!

Re: Is it tacky if...

• Options
    Yes it would be tacky.  You should never tell people where you are registered unless they ask you directly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Tacky to the extreme.

• Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:4d29d22b-eed4-4a95-9e21-da86728d6c4f">Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it tacky if I "share" my wedding registry on facebook and other social media sites? Of course there are plenty of people on there that haven't been invited but amazon and target give me the option to do so...Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are!
    Posted by caitystevenson[/QUOTE]
    Yes it's tacky. There is no reason for anyone who isn't invited to know where or what you've registered for. It comes off as gift grabby and AWish and I'm sure that's not what you want.

Just because Target and Amazon gives you the option to share, it still doesn't mean you should do it. I mean, I read a super controversial article this morning on gun control. The news site gave me the option to share the story. I chose not to lol.

ETA for clarity
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:cd7576c7-bfd0-4f6d-9e1c-7bb772c5862d">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is it tacky if... : Yes it's tacky. There is no reason for anyone who isn't invited to know where or what you've registered for. It comes off as gift grabby and AWish and I'm sure that's not what you want. Just because Target and Amazon gives you the option to share, it still doesn't mean you should do it. I mean, I<strong> read a super controversial article this morning on gun control. The news site gave me the option to share the story. I chose not to</strong> lol. ETA for clarity
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]
    Yep - this exactly.  Also - please don't mail out the registry info with your invitation.  Macy's & other stores WILL give you the inserts.  Throw them in the trash.
  • Options
    Yep, it's tacky. The only time registry info should be sent to guests is for the shower (that you aren't throwing yourself).

Unless, of course, you're inviting all of your FB friends and their SO's to your wedding....
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you have to ask if it's tacky, then ....
  • Options
    Yes.  You should only mention your registry if and when someone asks you.  That means, among other things, keep it off Facebook and social media sites.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:f9775ecc-5bff-497b-bd09-d46e1459bdf8">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, it's tacky. The only time registry info should be sent to guests is for the shower (that you aren't throwing yourself).<strong> Unless, of course, you're inviting all of your FB friends and their SO's to your wedding....</strong>
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

And even then... don't.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Tacky and rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:3dd51aea-6577-4152-a685-698d8c64cfab">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have to ask if it's tacky, then ....
    Posted by NYCMercedes[/QUOTE]

exactly.</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I always thought it was better to wait until someone asked you about your registry ("Hey, are your registered?  I'd like to get you something for your wedding") to provide that info.  I suppose whoever is throwing you the shower (if you're having one) could also give out this information.  I just think that any time you share info on social media you've got to be careful.  People not invited to your wedding might think you're trying to gift-grab (I'm sure you're not).  My friend said "Unless you'd be willing to gather all those people in an auditorium and make a public announcement, don't put it on facebook."  pretty good life advice.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:51b9ac55-dd68-49b1-8da3-5af1b25e0ab1">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always thought it was better to wait until someone asked you about your registry ("Hey, are your registered?  I'd like to get you something for your wedding") to provide that info.
    Posted by bopple321[/QUOTE]

I believe Etiquette Hell put it best saying that registry information should always be "pulled" from the bride/groom, not "pushed" upon others. a.k.a. It's good etiquette to let people ask for that information, and bad etiquette to shove it in other people's faces...
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Super, super tacky. 
  • Options
    Way tacky.

If I saw that a "friend" had posted that info on FB I would TOTALLY snoop to see what they had registered for, but I'd also side eye it big time while I was doing so. 
  • Options
    Well everyone pretty much has it covered, but yep, tacky. 

Dont tell unless someone askes. Are you inviting your entire FB friends list? If not, its like you're saying "hey I dont really know half of you, but incase you didnt know, Im getting married and heres where you can buy us some stuff"
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Is it tacky if...:[QUOTE]In Response to Is it tacky if...:I mean, I read a super controversial article this morning on gun control. The news site gave me the option to share the story. I chose not to lol. ETA for clarity Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I wish my Facebook friends were as tactful as you...some of the stories they share I think, "Really???" Lol
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:eac6f93d-5ac0-4731-bb13-f7e791501911">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it tacky if... : Yep - this exactly.  Also - please don't mail out the registry info with your invitation.  <strong>Macy's & other stores WILL give you the inserts. </strong> Throw them in the trash.
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

<div>So that's what those are for! My registry consultant at Macy's gave me those cards and I was like 'What the heck are these for?'</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:5c32e7a3-8640-43d9-95ba-3877420e3fdc">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it tacky if... : So that's what those are for! My registry consultant at Macy's gave me those cards and I was like 'What the heck are these for?'
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, that's what they WANT you to use them for, but don't actually do it.

</div>
  • Options
    Fun story: a girl I'm friends with on FB shared her HOUSEWARMING registry on FB.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Yeah, I've had friends post their wedding, baby, birthday, and graduation registries on FB. I judge the crap out of them. 
  • Options
    I've never heard of registries outside of wedding and babies. Who has a BDAY registry?!
  • Options
    What you can do is make a wedding website, and put on there where you're registered. Then tell people to check out your website for up to date wedding info. That's what I've done.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:51cd3f80-a4dc-48fb-aad7-53df09b79bfdPost:5cd16a49-1826-42f0-bba0-f1a1f0fad79f">Re: Is it tacky if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it tacky if... : Well, that's what they WANT you to use them for, but don't actually do it.
    Posted by Domino04[/QUOTE]
     Yeah I definitely won't. If they want to know, they'll ask. Or my aunt will tell them...because she's like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Is it tacky if...:[QUOTE]Yep, it's tacky. The only time registry info should be sent to guests is for the shower that you aren't throwing yourself. Unless, of course, you're inviting all of your FB friends and their SO's to your wedding.... Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]
    Yes I was wondering about this myself, the places I registered gave me the option and I said no because most of the people on my facebook aren't actually invited to the wedding. I think most have heard it is tacky to send the registry cards with the invite for sure but it is okay for the host of the shower to include them in the shower invites and make a wedding website with a registry page. If people really want to get you something they will look there, ask someone or trust their own taste. Just don't let it look like you are gift hungry lol which I am sure your not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards