Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding Cake question?

My daughter wants a red velvet wedding cake. I know everyone doesn't like red velvet so I was thinking about doing a 2 layer red velvet cake for the actual wedding cake and having chocolate, butter cream, carrot and maybe lemon cakes also. I  want to use the tree trunk cake stands in different heights with the red velvet being in the center tallest. Would it look weird if the other flavor cakes are just like the premium 2 layer cakes from publixs or a local grocery store without being decorated the same as the red velvet wedding cake?

I want to use the tree trunk stands as a sentamental thing because my daughter's FI was a "log truck driver" when they started dating. He owned his own 18 wheeler.

Re: Wedding Cake question?

• There are people who don't like red velvet?!

FWIW, we had multiple cakes, all with cream cheese icing. Red velvet, devil's food, carrot, and vanilla. But ours were all decorated the same. I think if they were different, people would feel like they weren't getting part of the actual wedding cake.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Why are you picking out your daughter's wedding cake?

She and her FI should be making this decision.

Do they want grocery store cake? Do they want a tree trunk cake stand?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:3425773c-10f2-4cca-819e-4f995161ab1b">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why are you picking out your daughter's wedding cake? She and her FI should be making this decision. Do they want grocery store cake? Do they want a tree trunk cake stand?
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not making the decisions for them. They agree that they need different flavors. She loves the tree trunk stands. In fact she said her FI granddaddy that still hauls logs can get the materials for us to make our own. </div>
  • itzMSitzMS member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:27ec4d53-1393-493a-9d01-ce0657d77655">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : I'm not making the decisions for them. They agree that they need different flavors. She loves the tree trunk stands. In fact she said her FI granddaddy that still hauls logs can get the materials for us to make our own. 
    Posted by thiott[/QUOTE]

Then I don't see what your question is. If your daughter and her FI already want to do different flavors on the tree trunk cake stands, then they should go for it.

Always remember, it is her wedding, not yours.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:3441c3f6-9814-47c1-95a0-4c52f2881b80">Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter wants a red velvet wedding cake. I know everyone doesn't like red velvet so I was thinking about doing a 2 layer red velvet cake for the actual wedding cake and having chocolate, butter cream, carrot and maybe lemon cakes also. I  want to use the tree trunk cake stands in different heights with the red velvet being in the center tallest. Would it look weird if the other flavor cakes are just like the premium 2 layer cakes from publixs or a local grocery store without being decorated the same as the red velvet wedding cake? I want to use the tree trunk stands as a sentamental thing because my daughter's FI was a "log truck driver" when they started dating. He owned his own 18 wheeler.
    Posted by thiott[/QUOTE]

i think your daughter is really thoughtful for wanting other flavored cakes for everyone! (and yes, i am one of those people that don't like red velvet).

Me being a baker--it would annoy me that the 2 layer cakes of different flavors are not the same as the wedding cake. I would also be worried that people would be able to tell that it was from a local grocery store. Can you get all three cakes from the same place?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:c8eef83f-6e08-4845-9526-cc8f0c11ba80">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : Then I don't see what your question is. If your daughter and her FI already want to do different flavors on the tree trunk cake stands, then they should go for it<strong>. Always remember, it is her wedding, not yours.
    </strong>Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I don't see why this comment was neccessary. She is helping her daughter and her FI with cakes for the wedding. Her questions were about the flavors of the cake and if she should make sure all three cakes are decorated the same. She is helping them get what they want. SHe is not stepping on anyone's toes or being overbearing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:e7160bf6-3ae1-42fd-8073-dbce71d4c550">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : I don't see why this comment was neccessary. She is helping her daughter and her FI with cakes for the wedding. Her questions were about the flavors of the cake and if she should make sure all three cakes are decorated the same. She is helping them get what they want. SHe is not stepping on anyone's toes or being overbearing
    Posted by Daizy106[/QUOTE]

<div>THANK YOU for understanding what I'm trying to do. This is not the first question that I've posted on these boards and had comments about me taking over her wedding. I've got alot of usefull info and ideas from this board but I've also got some comments that is very uncall for. If my daughter and her FI doesn't have a problem with what I'm helping them do then I don't see why strangers that don't know us would.</div>
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:3441c3f6-9814-47c1-95a0-4c52f2881b80">Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter wants a red velvet wedding cake. I know everyone doesn't like red velvet so I was thinking about doing a 2 layer red velvet cake for the actual wedding cake and having chocolate, butter cream, carrot and maybe lemon cakes also. I  want to use the tree trunk cake stands in different heights with the red velvet being in the center tallest. Would it look weird if the other flavor cakes are just like the premium 2 layer cakes from publixs or a local grocery store without being decorated the same as the red velvet wedding cake? I want to use the tree trunk stands as a sentamental thing because my daughter's FI was a "log truck driver" when they started dating. He owned his own 18 wheeler.
    Posted by thiott[/QUOTE]

So, the red velvet would be a cake from a professional baker and the other two would be from a grocery store? I have that right, correct? I think it would be confusing to have them all together as one unit then. As a guest, I would expect equal quality then. If you don't want to have all the cakes done by one bakery, I would put the red velvet in a cake stand, and the others on separate platters.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:f711c083-3963-4d4a-9eb0-9cc754bc221b">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : THANK YOU for understanding what I'm trying to do. <strong>This is not the first question that I've posted on these boards and had comments about me taking over her wedding</strong>. I've got alot of usefull info and ideas from this board but I've also got some comments that is very uncall for. If my daughter and her FI doesn't have a problem with what I'm helping them do then I don't see why strangers that don't know us would.
    Posted by thiott[/QUOTE]

But that's the point. Coming to an online forum and asking questions about planning your daughter's wedding (and decisions she should make with her future husband) comes across as a bit overbearing.

It rubs me the wrong way when a MOB gets too involved with aspects of a reception or marriage that the couple should decide for themselves.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but if your daughter has questions/concerns about her wedding, SHE would/should be posting here.
  • We haven't talked with anyone yet about baking the cakes. By everyones input I think we should definitely go with all the cakes decorated the same. She has been looking at pic online to decide how she wants it decorated. We were waiting on her to make a decision about that befor we talk with anyone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:f65ebee2-2e57-4e00-848a-f15178c29ae0">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We haven't talked with anyone yet about baking the cakes. By everyones input I think we should definitely go with all the cakes decorated the same. She has been looking at pic online to decide how she wants it decorated. We were waiting on her to make a decision about that befor we talk with anyone.
    Posted by thiott[/QUOTE]

I think you should decorate them the same if they are all from the same baker.

If not, it would be misleading to do so. I'd decorate the "better" cake fancy, and then decorate the grocery store cakes plain, but in a coordinating color.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:cffd9200-f8ae-4687-9a90-2115b8a35c79">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : But that's the point. Coming to an online forum and asking questions about planning your daughter's wedding (and decisions she should make with her future husband) comes across as a bit overbearing. It rubs me the wrong way when a MOB gets too involved with aspects of a reception or marriage that the couple should decide for themselves. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but if your daughter has questions/concerns about her wedding, SHE would/should be posting here.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

That's none of your business. That wasn't the question she asked. And yes, it is a public forum...blah blah...but still, it remains none of your concern.
  • julie650julie650 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Oh, and I agree with the fact that it should be decorated the same. But it is also acceptable to have it presented on a different display as another poster suggested. Also, if its because of budget, you could also have your baker make a fake layer or two then the cakes being served would be from a sheet cake that they provide. This cuts down on costs, people will still get good quality wedding cake, and no one actually knows where their cut piece comes from.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:4f3bb056-4078-4276-bd4e-5111c6b302fb">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : That's none of your business. That wasn't the question she asked. And yes, it is a public forum...blah blah...but still, it remains none of your concern.
    Posted by julie650[/QUOTE]

Thank you, so very much, for using one of your 30 posts to share that with me. I am so happy you enlightened me.  *sarcasm*

I didn't say it was my concern, it is my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion, much like the OP is entitled to plan to her heart's content for her daughter's wedding. I can't stop her, but I certainly do not have to agree.

If her daughter and FI are happy with the cakes, that's all that matters in the long run.
  • Would something like this work? There is one tiered cake, but I don't feel like the others feel "less than." I'm planning on going in this direction, but none of the cakes will be tiered.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:adcdb18a-63a9-425c-94f6-cff8f9f84f1c">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would something like this work? There is one tiered cake, but I don't feel like the others feel "less than." I'm planning on going in this direction, but none of the cakes will be tiered.
    Posted by JennaMichelle88[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what we were thinking sbout doing. Having the red velvet as the two teir so they will have  the top layer for 1st anniversary. Bottom layer of red velvet and the other flavor ckes for everyone to enjoy at the reception. Thanks for posting the pic its like you were reading my mind.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:c751c2d9-18e7-41bc-bf20-7f4c9ac1f8c1">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : Thank you, so very much, for using one of your 30 posts to share that with me. I am so happy you enlightened me.  *sarcasm* I didn't say it was my concern, it is my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion, much like the OP is entitled to plan to her heart's content for her daughter's wedding. I can't stop her, but I certainly do not have to agree. If her daughter and FI are happy with the cakes, that's all that matters in the long run.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I don't think it matters if she's only had 30 posts - it's not like she didn't know how to think before she came to the Knot.  Her input is still of value.

As for the cakes, I love that picture of them!  I agree that they should be decorated similarly, but it is okay to have one larger than the others.  Another idea - can you do just one large cake with differnt tiers of flavors?  We are doing white wedding cake with strawberry marscapone filling and chocolate ckae with chocolate cannolli filling, they're just on different tiers. 

Now I want to eat some red velvet cake!
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:adcdb18a-63a9-425c-94f6-cff8f9f84f1c">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would something like this work? There is one tiered cake, but I don't feel like the others feel "less than." I'm planning on going in this direction, but none of the cakes will be tiered.
    Posted by JennaMichelle88[/QUOTE]

That's very pretty. And as you can see, having it this way makes the cakes that are not identical, look better. If you did go to the store and get a few cakes, as long as they are coordinating, people probably wouldn't have any idea that they were from a grocery store.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:0560f74f-5f0b-4890-92b9-fbdfd55c7854">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Cake question? : I don't think it matters if she's only had 30 posts - it's not like she didn't know how to think before she came to the Knot.  Her input is still of value. As for the cakes, I love that picture of them!  I agree that they should be decorated similarly, but it is okay to have one larger than the others.  Another idea - can you do just one large cake with differnt tiers of flavors?  We are doing white wedding cake with strawberry marscapone filling and chocolate ckae with chocolate cannolli filling, they're just on different tiers.  Now I want to eat some red velvet cake!
    Posted by julibug86[/QUOTE]

Haha, thank you. She is entitled to hers but we are not entitled to ours ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:2e9cc13d-635b-485f-982d-3b8fa534342a">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>There are people who don't like red velvet?! </strong>FWIW, we had multiple cakes, all with cream cheese icing. Red velvet, devil's food, carrot, and vanilla. But ours were all decorated the same. I think if they were different, people would feel like they weren't getting part of the actual wedding cake.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>YES!!!! </div><div>
    </div><div>FWIW, I hate red velvet! :)</div>

Anniversary
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to Re:Wedding Cake question?:[QUOTE]There are people who don't like red velvet?! Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    I love red velvet cake, but I loathe the cream cheese that it's so often paired with.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Could you also look into the idea of just completely different desserts?  Retread brought up a good point with allergies.  Maybe do the red velvet cake and then also have a dessert buffet of various items (cookies, fruit, etc.).  Our venue has a minimum food revenue amount and our RSVPs were far below what we expected, so we made up that revenue with extra desserts.  I think it's going to work out well because we have diabetics who would rather have the fruit to keep their insulin in check!

White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:6634b533-3e30-4b9c-b244-fa0d812a9e01">Re:Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Wedding Cake question?: I love red velvet cake, but I loathe the cream cheese that it's so often paired with.
    Posted by SKPM[/QUOTE]

OMG, the cream cheese icing is what makes it so heavenly!
  • red velvet is, in essence, chocolate cake. so having another chocolate cake would just be redundant.

• hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    duplicate
  • Have you considered just 2 cakes - one the wedding cake and one a grooms cake? Or have the wedding cake larger and a couple of grooms cakes.

I had a three tier cake with 2 different flavors so understand the desire to have a choice for guests. We also had blueberry cobbler as the grooms cake.
  • my initial thought would be to have different flavors but decorate them the same...but the picture in a PP actually looked pretty cool.  Show your daughter some options and see what she likes.  Nice of you to help her out!

Anniversary
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f8467641-b078-4bde-be47-91e4d20c1265Post:c43cfaa0-cef0-44d8-b7c2-f00d6794fb36">Re: Wedding Cake question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]red velvet is, in essence, chocolate cake. so having another chocolate cake would just be redundant.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

<div>NO!!! It would not be redundant at all!!!!</div><div>
    </div><div>Red velvet may be a variation of chocolate cake, but it doesn't taste like chocolate AT ALL!!!! The amount of red dye and whatever other ingredients they add severely alters the taste and ends up nothing like chocolate! Not in the least!</div><div>
    </div><div>I am a chocolate purist. I love anything chocolate, especially chocolate cake. I have never tasted a red velvet that I've liked because it doesn't taste like chocolate. IMO, it tastes weird. </div><div>
    </div><div>So it's not redundant at all when neither cake flavor taste the same. </div><div> </div><div>OP, PLEASE have different flavors and PLEASE don't leave your chocolate loving guests with only red velvet... it totally doesn't count!</div>

Anniversary
  • I hate red velvet cake, and chocolate cake.. so would appreciate a different option myself.

I like the photo that PP posted of the different cakes.  We are having one tiered cake with 2 different flavors. Just another option.

I would definitely want them all made by the same baker and of the same quality. You could have one cake in the front for cutting, and sheet cakes to the side
  • I think the cakes on the tree stands look beautiful.  Have you see the birch bark and moss-covered bark vases and pots on www.saveoncrafts.com? These would be lovely (lined in perhaps a similar linen napkin) for the silverware and paper napkins, and maybe for a bouquet of daisies or something.  I'd also consider having pie and a cheesecake as choices.  How about a lemon meriangue pie, a pecan pie, a cherry cheesecake, and a dutch apple pie?  Also, how about a German Chocolate cake?   

I am sure she will have a lovely wedding!  Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards