Options

Today on the Four Men in the World Show

TNpuffs
Not Ranked
Joined on 12-19-2010
2,558 Points
TNpuffs is online. Last active: 03-31-2011, 10:46 AMNewbie

DH and Pets

We currently have one dog, a yellow lab named Lex.  H have had Lex since 2001 (I think), even before I met him.  Although I hated the idea of having Lex, they were a package.  I think it would have been too much to ask for him to get rid of the dog after we got married.

I've told H that I don't want anymore dogs in the future.  But he seems to be ignoring my side.  My experience with Lex has not been good at all.

Reasons why I don't want another one:

1.  We can't easily go on trips.  H is against kenneling.  So, Lex has to go with us if we want to go on a trip.  Or, "drop off" Lex at ILs who live 15hrs away to go on a long/far away trip.  So, we rarely go anywhere.

2.   Hard to keep our house looking good. 

a.  I constantly have to sweep/vacuum Lex hairs (and they stink).  They seem to accumulate sooo fast.  And they are sooo hard to remove on carpets.

b.  Almost everytime she sits on the carpet, she leaves a spot where her butt has been.  So, I always have socks on and I won't let DD walk around.

c.  She have scratched our hardwood floors everywhere. And she pees on them often.  She's an inside dog.

3.  To me, she stinks all the time.  And unfortunately, I lost the battle of not letting her sleep in the master bedroom.

4.  She's not obedient at all.  You have to tell her over and over and over to sit still and stay out of the way.

5.  She barks a lot.  It really annoys me when she wakes up DD, especially when DD was an infant and I was totally sleep deprived.  Since we want more kids, I would hate to have a dog around again with an infant.

6.  I tried to walk her once hoping that will help her and be better inside the house, but she goes crazy.  She was dragging me.  Her leash actually hurt my hand and I got a cut.

H keeps telling me that I'm just being too negative and that there's a lot of advantages or good things about having a dog.  I don't know what they are though.

Thoughts? Am I ridiculous?

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51324041.aspx

If you saw that this is how he took care of his dog, would you procreate with him?  (As a side note, I originally typed "dong" instead of "dog" as a typo, but thought that wasn't entirely applicable.)

Re: Today on the Four Men in the World Show

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think that the girl is a b*tch personally, but hey I'm a dog lover. 

And she needs to be more outspoken with her spouse.
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Since we want more kids, I would hate to have a dog around again with an infant.

Yes, she should definitely have more kids with this man.   That seems like the best solution to all their problems.

and LOL @ dong.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

b.  Almost everytime she sits on the carpet, she leaves a spot where her butt has been.  So, I always have socks on and I won't let DD walk around.

Is this dog on diet pills that cause an oily discharge?  This is not normal.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Damn that dog for behaving like a dog!

I have a feeling she's exagerrating about these problems. If you don't like dogs, all their quirks are "OMGBADDOGBADDOG!" worse than they actually are. 
  • Options
    dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I get the sense when she wants the dog to "obey" commands, she wants him to be like the Wheel of Fortune ceramic dalmatian of old.  Then again, it doesn't sound like obedience is enforced.  IMO for bigger dogs, it's critical.

Although I'll agree with zsa.  No dog, cat should be leaving a wet spot on the floor like that on a regular basis.  Should be seeing a vet for that.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sounds much more like an owner issue.  Has the dog only ever been on the one walk?  No wonder it went crazy.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I dunno - it seems like the dog is ill-trained, never bathed, and has some sort of butt problem it should see a vet for. If this were the dog I had, I wouldn't want another one, either. Y'all who call her a dog-hater - would you want this dog? Seriously? I mean, I love cats, but I had to put one we had outside because she refused to pee in her clean litter box. I won't ever get a kitten again because I don't want to take a chance on a pet not being housebroken. 

That said, I would have solved the dog problem before having children. So yeah, she's an idiot, but it's not because this dog is awful. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this dog is also elderly -10+ years is getting close to end of life for a big dog like a lab. she's going to have more health issues - accidents in the house, etc.

it sounds like this is just a dog being a dog.

why is she married to this guy?
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

i'm with kuus on this one.  lex sounds like a stinky ill-behaved mess, and it is fully on the dude's shoulders.  i've never heard of an "inside" dog that never, ever went out for a walk, and it sounds like they never take the dog out.  if i wasn't allowed to go outside, i would scratch the floor and shake my butt problem all over the duvet in the master bedroom.

• Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_today-four-men-world-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:8b5df9c5-9a3a-4aed-aa88-53c21256ed79Post:1a65298f-2f47-47c8-9218-509234bd0cfe">Re: Today on the Four Men in the World Show</a>:
    [QUOTE]I<strong> it seems like the dog is ill-trained, never bathed, and has some sort of butt problem it should see a vet for</strong>. Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

this is basically an owner issue. they need to train her, bathe her, and give her routine vet care. for a 10+ yo dog, it's probably too late on most of the training, but they don't sound like they are taking care of her. when our dogs get stinky, we give them a bath. if they get sick or injured, we take them to the vet. both of them misbehave from time to time, but they also know a whole range of commands, and obey about 95% of the time. if they get too rowdy, all i have to do is tell them to "go to bed" and they'll go lay down in our laundry room on their beds.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    edited December 2011
    If he takes care of his dog this poorly, I shudder to think how he takes care of his kid.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If H had a dog like that before we got married it would have been a dealbreaker. I am the first to admit that I was not a dog person until we got one, but we did an excellent job training her (if I do say so myself) and we have none of those problems.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Barbie, the OP isn't responsible for training the dog. It was her husband's dog, and she inherited it when they got married and then had kids. I'm saying if that's the dog I inherited? I wouldn't want another one, either - and that's the point of the OP's post.

Her problem is that her husband is an idiot who shouldn't have a pet, and she's an idiot for marrying him and then having a kid with him. I'm not saying this is the dog's fault, but I can't imagine not being irritated about the damn dog, either. 
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    edited December 2011
    ::::agreeing with baconsmom for the 5,000,000th time this month::::
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree she's not *responsible* for training it, but if it is as awful as it sounds, you'd think she'd want to *TRY* training it for her own sanity. But she's obviously rather be a martyr.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011

i agree her H should have trained the dog when he got it, but she needs to play a role in training the dog too. The dog does not respect the OP as a member of the pack - if she had started training the dog when she came into the relationshio (husband/dog), it would likely behave much better. She needs to enforce whatever training the dog may have had - if it's not reinforced by both OP and her H, the dog (i just typed dong there) will not listen to them.

I did a bulk of the "training" with our dogs, but DK uses the commands I taught them, and continues to enforce the same rules. The dogs listen to both of us - me a little moreso than DK.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards