Snarky Brides

Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics

Wow it has been forever since I've been able to even participate on these boards, H and I have been extremely busy and both of us have been working OT. Our lives have been eat sleep work and I'm sure as hell glad that's over.

So, friday I was at work, just a normal day, was going to take 2 dogs back in the kennel to be boarded.  I took one dog from the owner and brought him back, then came for the other dog.  Only a few dogs actually like going back to the kennel, and he wasn't one of them.  He wasn't growling, or giving me the "whale eye", wasn't tense either.  He was actually standing behind his owner and wagging his tail.  I knelt down on his level as we are trained to do so the dog won't see you as a threat.  He came towards me like every other dogs does, I went to put the leash on and BAM. It was like getting hit in the face by a rock with teeth.  I was knocked backwards, and immediately knew that something was very wrong.

I ran in the back of the clinic screaming and holding my face.  There was huge drops of blood all over the place so my coworker took me to the med center (my boss wasn't at the clinic yet).  On the way there I was holding a towel to my face and crying, my coworker looked at me and said, "well, whatever you do, don't look in the mirror", so of course I looked in the mirror...and should have just listened to her.  My right nostril was split in 2, and the side closest to my face was just flapping away everytime I breathed.

So, Super long story short- the med center sent me to the emergency room after cleaning me up a bit.  Because I was bit in my face, they wanted me to see a plastic surgeon and have him stitch my wounds up.  So he comes in and tells me the good news is he can fix my face pretty easily, the bad news is 1) My wounds are full of dirt and bacteria and crap, so they have to be scrubbed and cleaned, and 2) Since I ate this morning, all they can do is give me local anesthesia.  So, I got 5 injections of lidocaine in my face, 2 of which were in my nose-one in the actual nostril and one in the hard catrilage that separates your nostrils.  I wanted to frickin kill someone, it hurt so bad.

So now I have to go back to the plastic surgeon on tuesday to have my sutures out and my face evaluated.  Because of the nature of my nose laceration, my nose might not look the same after it heals.  I guess the scar tissue is really thick when it's on thick skin such as your nose, so the scar tissue might actually pull my nostril up and back as it heals, kind of like a pig.  So, I may have to have actual plastic surgery in 3-6 months if it doesn't heal right.
After the med center, onthe way to the emergency room

After the plastic surgeon stitched me up

Bright side is, it happened after the wedding!

ETA: I was reading through some threads this morning and holy hannah's I can't believe all that ish with the banning.  I'm sure you guys are sick of talking about it, but wow.  And Nebb, congrats on the new car! 

Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics

• Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry that happened. How are you feeling now? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy crap, that sucks. I hope everything heals well.

When I worked at a vet's office, they never had us kneel down at eye level. We just took the dogs back and did our thing since a lot of the dogs got aggressive and we needed the upper hand, so to speak. Maybe your office now will rethink that policy.
  • Oh my goodness!  I'm so sorry!  I hope you have an easy recovery.
  • I'm so sorry, what a terrible experience.  T&Ps for good healing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-and-prayers-please-got-attacked-by-a-dogkinda-long-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e5492bd9-2f26-4430-b2a9-85531fedfad3Post:fa8940a5-7f8a-4982-86de-52253e003b4f">Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy hell! The dog owner is going to cover this I hope?
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

He better. If not, I'd be filing a claim with his homeowners/renters insurance pronto.

I'm so sorry about the bite. I hope the healing process isn't too painful. :(
  • Oh, wow! I'm so sorry this happened!

And 5 lidocaine injections to the face?!? YEOUCH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-and-prayers-please-got-attacked-by-a-dogkinda-long-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e5492bd9-2f26-4430-b2a9-85531fedfad3Post:c5341650-b425-4628-848a-c7aaf2d3f3ae">Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy crap, that sucks. I hope everything heals well. <strong>When I worked at a vet's office, they never had us kneel down at eye level. We just took the dogs back and did our thing since a lot of the dogs got aggressive and we needed the upper hand, so to speak. Maybe your office now will rethink that policy.
    </strong>Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

We never did that either.

I hope the healing goes well!
  • Oh my goodness!  That's awful!  I hope you recover quickly, and I hope you don't develop a fear of dogs after this.

On another note, you're really pretty.  Even with your face all beat up.
  • Thanks everyone.....to answer some questions:

Sesh- Yeah, definitely will not be doing that again.  I've never had a problem before, but still.  The ER nurse told me if I had been standing over the dog though, he would have most likely gotten my neck :(

Dot: thats thefuckked up part.  I guess after we left, the groomer was waiting up front for my boss to get there, and all the owner said was "So, what am I supposed to do with my dogs now? I still need to board them this weekend and I'm assuming they can't stay here anymore".  Yeah. WTF.  But actually, workman's comp is covering everything, I never thought about him paying for treatment because of that.  The sheriff has already gone to my work and then out to his house but I don't know if I'll ever hear any more about it, he's been fired as a client now.

Let'sHike: i feel like crap.  Like I've been hit by a bus.  The tetanus shot definitely didn't help, but my face just burns and throbs.  Vicodin is a hell of a drug though :)
  • Good God!

I hope you're feeling better soon, and I'm so sorry this happened!!!
  • edited August 2012
    Wow jujub that is just horrible. I hope everything heals nicely, and I can't believe the owner had no empathy or anything. Wow. What a bag of douche.
  • What a douche. Did he even ask if you were okay? I'd assume your office would cover it but if not I hope he gets stuck with the bill.
  • annieoldfieldannieoldfield member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Wow sorry, hope you recover well! :(

But also, serious post/sig
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, he didn't even say anything when it happened and I ran in back.  If it had been my dog that bit someone, best believe I would be trying to help in any way I could.  That's what baffles me, he just stood there like it was no big deal.....I wonder if it's happened before?

And thank you Elle.  I've been looking at some of my wedding pictures and telling myself I'll still look like me after this is all said an done, and if not, it probably won't be too noticeable.  The ER nurse told me not to be surprised if I have panic attacks, nightmares, or fear of dogs at work for awhile. Doesn't help that I already have anxiety, but I've been on meds for that for a long time.  She said being bit in the face tends to emotionally affect people more than when they're bit on an arm or a leg, for example.  But, I love dogs, all animals, and I think because of that I should be ok.  I might be a little hesitant for awhile though.
  • I was bitten pretty badly by a cocker spaniel when I was kid, and I still have some [probably unfair] wary feelings about the breed.  I wasn't bitten on the face, though.  I can imagine that's harder to overcome.

Nobody will blame you if it takes you a while to feel normal around dogs again.  Was it a large dog that attacked you?
  • Holy crap!  Im sorry that happened to you!

My neighbors kid got bit in the face when she was little.  Dog took her cheek off.  You cant even tell now.  Dont worry about your pretty face, it will be back to normal in no time!

That looks like it came from a big dog.  Ouch.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • That sucks Elle!  I would think it would be more traumatizing as a child, you wariness is warranted for sure. 

It was a pitbull that bit me, which I hate telling people because of the "breedism" against them.  I've been bitten before, not seriously, by an australian cattle dog.  I've seen a co-worker almost get attacked by a golden retriever (this does not happen frequently--I don't want to send the wrong message that my boss doesn't care about our safety.  I've been at this clinic for 8 years now). And like you said Elle, you were bitten by a cocker spaniel.  Every single doctor and nurse asked me what type of dog bit me, and you could see the change in their expression as soon as I told them.  I'm sure they see bites from them more than we actually hear about, but it still makes me sad.  They explained to me that, while they see bites from all different breeds of dogs, pit bull bites tend to be the worst because they are such a strong breed.   I have friends and family that have pitbulls and they are so sweet and play with my pugs just fine.
  • Oh no!  That makes me sad that it was a pit.  It also makes me want to punch the owner in the mouth.

I own a pit so I hear you on the whole breed stuff, but the dog still bit you and thats not ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-and-prayers-please-got-attacked-by-a-dogkinda-long-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e5492bd9-2f26-4430-b2a9-85531fedfad3Post:96d53ccb-19e0-446d-b1f2-e245105b133f">Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh no!  That makes me sad that it was a pit.  It also makes me want to punch the owner in the mouth. I own a pit so I hear you on the whole breed stuff, but the dog still bit you and thats not ok.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

See blue, that's the thing.  I'm pissed that it happened, but I don't know the owner or the dog well enough to know who's fault it really is.  They've only boarded their dogs once before, and aren't regular clients. My MIL wants the dog euthanized ASAP, but I can't really agree or disagree with her, and she thinks I'm crazy because I'm not jumping on that bandwagon.

It's weird because most animals will give a warning growl, or warning "bite"- you know? like a nip or attempt to nip, not actually causing injury.  This dog gave me no reason not to trust him.  I've relied on my ability to read animals for 8 years now, and since this happened, I've really been questioning that ability.

And Blue, your pit is adorable :)  I saw a pic that you posted of her in one of the threads about the banning fiasco.  She looks so happy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-and-prayers-please-got-attacked-by-a-dogkinda-long-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e5492bd9-2f26-4430-b2a9-85531fedfad3Post:e6cbb824-fccc-4527-9b67-0b7794243d89">Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics : See blue, that's the thing.  I'm pissed that it happened, but I don't know the owner or the dog well enough to know who's fault it really is.  They've only boarded their dogs once before, and aren't regular clients.<strong> My MIL wants the dog euthanized ASAP</strong>, but I can't really agree or disagree with her, and she thinks I'm crazy because I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. It's weird because most animals will give a warning growl, or warning "bite"- you know? like a nip or attempt to nip, not actually causing injury.  This dog gave me no reason not to trust him.  I've relied on my ability to read animals for 8 years now, and since this happened, I've really been questioning that ability. And Blue, your pit is adorable :)  I saw a pic that you posted of her in one of the threads about the banning fiasco.  She looks so happy!
    Posted by jujub423[/QUOTE]

Awww I really hate this knee-jerk reaction to a dog bite.   This needs to be looked into but the dog doesn't necessarily need to be put down. I'm glad you are being rational about it since you are the victim.  I'm sorry that happened and I hope you recover quickly.  
  • In my town there is a 3 strikes rule with dog bites.  If they are un-provoked, which yours was, there are rules the owner will now have to follow.  Leash at all times, fence in yard, and possible muzzle?  (im not sure on that one).  If it happens 3 times, you have to put the dog down.  But it gives you a chance to rehabilate the dog or put it somewhere safe for people, like a rescue place or something.

I dont think you did anything wrong.  The dog was probably nervous or scared, and may be a dominant dog that would not show the signs outwardly.  Still not an excuse and absolutely not your fault.

Or sometimes dogs are just animals and bite for no reason.

Again, im so sorry that happened to you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-and-prayers-please-got-attacked-by-a-dogkinda-long-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e5492bd9-2f26-4430-b2a9-85531fedfad3Post:e6cbb824-fccc-4527-9b67-0b7794243d89">Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts and prayers please-got attacked by a dog...kinda long-pics : See blue, that's the thing.  <strong>I'm pissed that it happened, but I don't know the owner or the dog well enough to know who's fault it really is.</strong>  They've only boarded their dogs once before, and aren't regular clients. My MIL wants the dog euthanized ASAP, but I can't really agree or disagree with her, and she thinks I'm crazy because I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. It's weird because most animals will give a warning growl, or warning "bite"- you know? like a nip or attempt to nip, not actually causing injury.  This dog gave me no reason not to trust him.  I've relied on my ability to read animals for 8 years now, and since this happened, I've really been questioning that ability. And Blue, your pit is adorable :)  I saw a pic that you posted of her in one of the threads about the banning fiasco.  She looks so happy!
    Posted by jujub423[/QUOTE]

Looks like you have a really rational outlook on this.  I hate how people instantly blame the dog when a pit is involved in an attack, while plenty of responsibly-raised pits are wonderful, gentle dogs.  I feel like it's more often the owner's fault than it is the dog's.  Then again, I like most dogs a lot more than I like most people.
  • I'm so sorry. This is horrible. I'll go coockpunch the owner for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah based on how douchey the owner's reaction was I'd assume he's a pretty crappy owner.

So sorry that happened. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    June 16, 2012
  • OH MY GOODNESS!! i am soorry to hear this- the guys reaction was such an awful reaction. If it was my dog, i would have been like what can I do, can i take you to the hospital? ya know, normal human reaction!!

i hope your healing goes good and you feel better soon!! keep us posted!!
  • Holy cripes, you poor woman! How scary and it also looks/sounds very painful. Good healing vibes and a pox upon the douchecanoe dog owner. 
  • Ugh! I'm so sorry that happened. I'm in the "owner's a douche" camp. I hope you heal quickly!!
  • Oh man! I've had muscle pulled from bone from a horse bite and that was a b*tch on its own, but good God you're a tough cookie! II couldn't imagine having that happen to me. I hope your healing process goes smoothly and that all heals like it should.

Im also in the 'owners a douchebag' camp. WTF is wrong with him? I would have been freaking out if either of our dogs did something like that and I certainly would have been trying everything to make sure you got all the care you needed. I agree with another poster that I might suggest having your boss call the local vets and give them a heads-up.

All animals are unpredictable and I hate that pits have such a bad rep. My family has one and she's a freaking baby and one of our dogs is mixed with pit and he too is a cuddle bug and has never shown any sign of aggression (except for flies, he hates those little bastards). I think your mind set on trying to figure out the course of action is very leveled, especially considering what you just went though.

I really hope you start to feel better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • omg i HOPE YOU WILL be okay. Opps stupid capslock. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards