Wedding Invitations & Paper

Honeymoon Fund invite wording

Hi All,

A friend of mine is getting married and has signed up on honeyfund.com since they already have a house and everything they need.  It's a website that guests can go to and select from the list of things that the bride and groom would like to do on their honeymoon.  Once the guest selects the honeymoon gift, it gives the guest a voucher to print out and give to the couple including the cost of the voucher in a card at the Shower (i.e., dinner on the beach for $25.00, the guest would "pledge" the $25, print out the voucher and give it in a card along with the cash amount).

We are looking for ways to communicate this to the guests, but not really sure how to word it.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Honeymoon Fund invite wording

• When people ask you tell them. Registry info of any kind has no place in the invites.
    imageimageimage
  • I apologize, i should have been more clear.  It's for the bridal shower invite not wedding invite. Sorry about that.
  • Honeymoon registries are not particularly well liked on here.  It is generally accepted that for a SHOWER you can list where they are registered, but that's it.  No cutesy wording, and definitely not in the actual wedding invitation.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • okay, thanks for your help! 
  • I apologize. You can just list "John and Jane are registered at: xxx"
    imageimageimage
  • No problem.  Will do, thanks!

• I'd also recommend advising your friend to register at a brick and mortar store.

If I'm going to a shower, I'm not giving her money (which is what a honeymoon registry essentially requests).

• Dito Banana.

What are people going to ooh and aah over at the shower? 
  • Yea, I would not attend a shower where people aren't giving actual gifts.  That's the point of the shower.
  • Every shower I've attended has been about the bride AND the gifts.

And if all you're asking is for me to contribute my cash rather than perhaps something tangible and heartfelt, why should I bother going?
  • If she only has a honeymoon registry, she shouldn't have a shower.  The whole point of the shower is to give gifts.  No one wants to go to a shower and give gift certificates or watch the bride open a bunch of them.  

She's really going to offend people if she's asking for cash at her shower.  A honeymoon registry is just asking for cash, and people know that.
  • [QUOTE]Personally if i had someone like you who i invited to partake in my special day and you turned me down or got upset because I decided to register for a honeymoon as MY GIFT then i wouldn't bat an eyelash if you didn't go.[/QUOTE]

OK two things:
    1) Why would you be throwing your own shower?

2) I love how me not liking registries for cash  (what a honeymoon registry is) and choosing not to partake in them, suddenly gets a "If I had someone like you on my guest list," snide comment. 

You're right that at a shower people don't need to buy off the registry.  However often guests do exactly that - and they want to SEE the gift.  This is particularly relevent with the older crowd of ladies who go to showers - and they're often ones who are more "up" on their etiquette than the younger generation.

Remember, the gifts are FOR you and your FI (or husband depending on when purchased) but they need to be appealing to your guests in price range and type - because THEY are the ones buying the presents so ultimately, it's up to the guest exactly what you will receive.

If you can't see the beauty in some items, that's unfortunately short sighted.  Every morning I make smoothies in an effort to keep DH and I healthy.  And I bring him that smoothie as he gets ready for work in the morning.  Every day he smiles at me as I give it to him.

The kitchen bowls I have are used for things like making DH's favorite chocolate chip cookies, meatballs or other tasty items.  And our guests love eating them too when they're over.  Do you want me to tell you about how special our sheets are?

BTW, my honeymoon was well over two years ago but I still have those wedding gifts and I use at least two wedding gifts every day that we're home.  Now we get to continue to make our own memories years later.
  • A shower is to "shower the bride" with gifts.  While having it rain cash might be fun when it's time for shopping, it's really strange at the shower. 

Here's the thing:  most of us who are "regulars" here HATE honeymoon registries.  I dislike them because they keep a percentage of my gift!  I'm giving the bride and groom a gift - not some corporation.  If I wanted to give you cash, I'd do just that.  Otherwise, I would give you a physical gift off your registry.

That said - AS LONG AS you have a regular physical registry too and you realize that part of what your guests give will be lost to the company, if you want a honeymoon registry - whatever.  BUT - at a shower it is the gift giver's choice of what to give, so please don't push/demand/etc that they use the HM registry.  Just note where they're registered, and move on.  Best of both worlds, right?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_honeymoon-fund-invite-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:ad0b55d0-971d-4dde-93d8-d7bc4d4ae370Post:218cade2-10cb-43f0-8f34-eab2dc4f9a59">Re: Honeymoon Fund invite wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK two things: 1) Why would you be throwing your own shower? 2) I love how me not liking registries for cash  (what a honeymoon registry is) and choosing not to partake in them, suddenly gets a "If I had someone like you on my guest list," snide comment.  You're right that at a shower people don't need to buy off the registry.  However often guests do exactly that - and they want to SEE the gift.  This is particularly relevent with the older crowd of ladies who go to showers - and they're often ones who are more "up" on their etiquette than the younger generation. Remember, the gifts are FOR you and your FI (or husband depending on when purchased) but they need to be appealing to your guests in price range and type - because THEY are the ones buying the presents so ultimately, it's up to the guest exactly what you will receive. If you can't see the beauty in some items, that's unfortunately short sighted.  Every morning I make smoothies in an effort to keep DH and I healthy.  And I bring him that smoothie as he gets ready for work in the morning.  Every day he smiles at me as I give it to him. The kitchen bowls I have are used for things like making DH's favorite chocolate chip cookies, meatballs or other tasty items.  And our guests love eating them too when they're over.  Do you want me to tell you about how special our sheets are? BTW, my honeymoon was well over two years ago but I still have those wedding gifts and I use at least two wedding gifts every day that we're home.  Now we get to continue to make our own memories years later.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Who said that I would throw my own shower? I am pretty sure that when i do have my shower which my MOH is throwing i will give her a list of family and friends that would be there. My point is if you are that concerned on what i decide to register for than your not a good friend. Because its not about what you want and like. As the OP said they already have the bowls and cookie sheets to make those memories its a waste of money to have people buy things they wont use. Maybe to this bride a honeymoon is more important than some smoothie. To each person things are different. Also like i said not one time in the OP did they ask. Hey what do you think about people registering for a honeymoon. Not everyone cares what you think about their wedding. Answer the question if you don't like the question look past it.
  • It sounded like you had a hand in throwing your own shower.  My apologies if that's not what you meant.

As for your comment,

[QUOTE]My point is if you are that concerned on what i decide to register for than your not a good friend. Because its not about what you want and like.[/QUOTE]

That's really a loaded statement.  If I disagree on a moral or social level with something my friend does then I'm not a good friend?    Wow.   Part of being a good friend is being able to be honest with one another and also to be able to express opinions with each other.

If you were my friend and I chose not to support your honeymoon registry I wouldn't stop being friends with you.  But depending on our level of closeness, I might tell you why such a registry can be perceived as offensive.

And I know my dear friends don't decide that I'm a bad friend simply for not supporting a belief of theirs or for something that they chose to do.  We can agree to disagree in a civil manner without feeling like there's an ultimatum placed on the ties that bind our relationship.

And to add, it's an open forum.  When you post on it, you have to expect that people will not necessarily answer just the question at hand. 
  • What is up with the dead threads? @knotporscha? ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards