Snarky Brides

What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:a690cbc6-90fa-4ef3-a944-83b4f4c91b0f">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm almost done with Red Mist.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  Number, I feel like our libraries are probably almost identical ;)
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ha! I should look up your good reads for idea.</div><div>
    </div><div>I will be honest. I read a page of Book Thief and lost interest. I found it tough to get into (maybe two pages in).  But it's still on my shelf. Along with my other 'intelligent' books, like Water for Elephans and Glass Castle. Sigh. As I said, I don't read enough. </div>
  • You know?  Some of my RL friends don't "get" the whole forum thing.  Especially a wedding forum, you know, after your wedding is over.

But damn it, I've met some awesome people here, I get my favorite recipes here, and some of my favorite books I've read from recs from here.  Not to mention beauty products, etc.  It's amazing.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I will check it out blue, I really like it so far. I'm forcing myself to move away from my regular authors and types of books so I need new ideas.
  • You got it by just knowing it's an excellent book :-)

That's a good list.  I've read a few and liked all but Lord of the Rings.  I'll have to look at it more closely later and download some of the books to my Kindle.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:16bad261-8e3b-4089-84fc-5a8d4891ab4c">What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]1: What are you reading
    The Girl Who Played with Fire

2: Whats it about?
    It's the follow-up book to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  It's the same characters as the first and they have a new murder mystery to solve.

3: Would you suggest it?
    I have found both book to be kind of hard to get into at first but once the pace picks up they get much better.  It took me months to get through the first half of Dragon Tattoo but I finished the second half in two days.

4: Finished any books since last time?

I finally finished Wicked.  I was sad at how it ended, but I did enjoy it.  I just wish it was a faster read.  I also read Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  They were both really good.  I was a little disappointed in the ending of Mockingjay though. Right now im reading Blue Bloods.  Its a YA vampire story.  Its ok.  Im only about 60 pages in, and the story is moving slowly but its a fast read (if that makes sense). I had a hard time getting into a book after reading 2 really good books, but Im really trying to meet my book goal this year since I bombed my goal last year :)
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh, the Maze Runner trilogy is on my have to read list. I will read those for sure.

Also, if you can take some fantasy, try the Golden Compass series. I didn't think I would like them because I love Sci Fi WAY more than Fantasy but I really did love it a lot. I think I read all three books in the span of a few days. Its one I love so much I want to read them again.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:acc7004d-0517-43be-b90a-3a4df3c4496c">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will check it out blue, I really like it so far. I'm forcing myself to move away from my regular authors and types of books so I need new ideas.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

The Plague is like a staple in philosophy courses, lol.  There is so much to talk about with that book.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited January 2012
    In terms of stuff that I have read and loved:

A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - amazing, I read it in high school, loved love loved it. 

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving. LOVE, tied with the above for one my favourite books ever.

Lamb by Christopher Moore - not for people with strong conservative Christian opinions, the books is a satire, a book from the perspective of 'Biff, Jesus' best friend' on the life of Jesus from a young boy to crucifiction. It could be offensive to some. I laughed my ass off.  

Cain and Abel by Jeffery Archer (or anything by Jeffery Archer)

Blue Like Jazz, Velvet Elvis, Love Wins, Searching for God Knows What, Sex God - these are all on my 'Christian books to read' - clearly not for those who are Atheists - unless you like reading that kind of stuff!
  • oh, two more:

Hey Nostradamus by Douglass Coupland (Canadian author - also wrote Generation X)

and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.
  • Another good book I've read recently? 11/22/63 by stephen king, it was so good. I'm biased cause I love him but it was a really easy read, though long.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:6f3f3369-fe9b-4ef4-9acc-5ed1b973511a">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another good book I've read recently? 11/22/63 by stephen king, it was so good. I'm biased cause I love him but it was a really easy read, though long.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I will agree with this- loved this book! I have just started getting into his books, I am thinking I will read The Dome next.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:5a535be2-6dfd-4e72-93e1-86773d681ac7">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I finished Mockingjay last week. I loved it, but the last 4th of it or so, not so much.  And I really didn't like the ending.   Right now I'm reading Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock, and it is pretty good.  It's kind of a modern day parable. <strong><u>  I'm also reading Decision Points by George W. Bush.  I like it too.
    </u></strong>Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Fantastic book.  I think all Bush haters should be required to read it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Under the dome is excellent, I've enjoyed it everytime I've read it. I prefer is insanely long books. You feel like you know the characters so intimately by the end.
  • George W. wrote a book?  Interesting.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Children of Men was an awesome book.  PD James is the shiit, even that it's not even close to what she normally writes.

J, koda explains Song of Fire and Ice well.  Medieval Fiction.  I sort of dont' want to read Dances with Dragons now, becuase I don't want anyone else to die.

Speaking of books and dying, how about when the authors dies before finishing the series?  I'm looking at you Robert Jordan.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I should probably admit that around a year ago I discovered Jodi Picoult and unfortunately I like her books, even though they aren't all that deep. I do find them entertaining. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:27adda6f-cee3-45a2-ab24-1f02b5301a57">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]George W. wrote a book?  Interesting.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

I think all former presidents write their memoirs.

He explains so many things about his presidency.  It was an eye opener for sure.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ah I did not realize that it's a memoir. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • I love Stephen King. I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of his books that I've read. The only one that I wouldn't read it again is probably Bag of Bones but that's probably because it kinda bored me. I loved how he described his early writing methods in On Writing. He was so down on himself as a writer when he first started out, and he had actually thrown the manuscript for Carrie (his first novel) into the garbage, and his wife is the one who encouraged him to finish it. Good woman. And if I remember correctly, he said he was so strung out on drugs that he doesn't remember writing one (or some) of his books. I can't remember which book, though, (Cujo? Christine? Maybe)
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:99fad09c-ce47-40bf-9554-8d38120be49e">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and I should probably admit that around a year ago I discovered Jodi Picoult and unfortunately I like her books, even though they aren't all that deep. I do find them entertaining. 
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

This is so me, except it was more like 2 1/2 years ago. I'll go to read heavier stuff, dislike it, then circle back to Jodi Picoult's books. What's funny is, I still have yet to read <em>My Sister's Keeper, </em>and that's usually the book that people start with.
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:cb4c49a2-edb2-4f9e-9b49-3e3941bb4af4">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Under the dome is excellent, I've enjoyed it everytime I've read it. <strong>I prefer is insanely long books.</strong> You feel like you know the characters so intimately by the end.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Then I would say you would probably enjoy The Passage. It was long but just sucked me in.
  • He was for a lot of his early books. There are a few I don't like - I'm not a big fan of most of the richard bachman books, I hated the long walk, blaze, the running man, the ones with peter straub, that warewolf one (I'm pissed I spent money on that) and maybe one or two others. My faves are the dark tower series, liseys story, the stand and the shining.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:e2bc8b0d-7a42-4576-a4c5-bd00dd252489">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah I did not realize that it's a memoir. 
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

yeah, its all about his presidency.  It also opens with his family history and they way he talks about his parents is really sweet. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:99fad09c-ce47-40bf-9554-8d38120be49e">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and I should probably admit that around a year ago I discovered Jodi Picoult and unfortunately I like her books, even though they aren't all that deep. I do find them entertaining. 
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

I like her too! She's not very dynamic, but I find her highly entertaining as well. I also like her way with words. Her characters always seem to have a very specific way of expressing themselves. That's a plus for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:c05d2a96-a863-4af0-a8c9-dbf8797dbdd3">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : This is so me, except it was more like 2 1/2 years ago. I'll go to read heavier stuff, dislike it, then circle back to Jodi Picoult's books. What's funny is, I still have yet to read My Sister's Keeper, and that's usually the book that people start with.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

Mehg, I didn't start with My Sister's Keeper, either. I started with The Tenth Circle and read that one later. I'm glad I didn't read it first or I don't think I would have read any more from her. I thought it sucked.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:c5a44f4b-5aaa-4eb4-a213-6667f2f9e3cf">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He was for a lot of his early books. There are a few I don't like - I'm not a big fan of most of the richard bachman books, I hated the long walk, blaze, the running man, the ones with peter straub, that warewolf one (I'm pissed I spent money on that) and maybe one or two others. My faves are the dark tower series, liseys story, the stand and the shining.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

My favorites are <em>Misery, Different Seasons, The Shining,</em>  and <em>The Stand.</em> And of course<em> It. </em>I read most of his stuff back in 2004 when they had them at the library on my ship.
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • I liked it. I have a weird havit of eschewing books adam tells me to read (he kept pushing gunslinger and it at me) and once I end up reading them, I love it. My heart skipped a beat when it and 11/22/63 overlapped a bit. Everythings connected.
  • RailWayWifeRailWayWife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    I am reading Model Land by Tyra Banks

its not the best book in the world but I thought I would give it a try, I am about half way through it now and its not too bad
  • 1: What are you reading
    I just finished a book yesterday (Outlander), so I haven't started a new one yet, but next on my list is Divergent.

2: Whats it about?
    I'll describe Outlander since I just finished it.  It's about a English woman in post WWII that somehow timetravels through an old monument in Scottland to 1743. 

3: Would you suggest it?
    Yes, it was really long (didn't know that before I started reading it on my Kindle), but very good.  I'm planning to continue to read the series.

4: Finished any books since last time?
    Outlander
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb9e571a-80f7-426a-acc2-127c5259a6fbPost:9ea61ad8-1317-46f5-bdb0-937b936dad9f">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : I've noticed that a lot of King's characters overlap into other books. Ace Merrill in The Body (the book the movie "Stand By Me" was based on) re-appeared in Needful Things . And Teddy Duchamp from The Body originally appeared in Carrie . I like that he does that.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

the connections are amazing. Like how liseys husband did that bool thing in liseys story and then "bool!" Was said in the 3rd dark tower book, big or small connections, they're there. Did you see the promo site for the bag of bones show? It was tons of photos of the show but they incorporated well over a hundred references to other king books in the photos. It was amazing and I probably only caught half of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards