Registry and Gift Forum

question for coffee drinkers

Neither FI nor I really drink coffee. (I don't mind the occasional cup, but only at a social function.) 

But since we're registering, we figured it would be nice to register for something that can make coffee for when we have guests over for a nice dinner and want to make coffee for them! (a few times a year?)

So, there are the regular coffee makers, we would probably get a cheap one since we will use it so rarely for around $40, 

OR, I was wondering about a french press.
It looks pretty and doesn't take up much space. (right now our kitchen is kind of small, but we hope to be moving into a bigger house in the next few years.)

So... since I really don't know anything about coffee, coffee drinkers, would you care if you went to someone's house and all they had was coffee from a french press? (what is the difference? is it just stronger?)
Anniversary

Re: question for coffee drinkers

• Register for the most basic coffee maker you can find. They're usually under $20 and simple to use. It makes sense not to bother with an expensive one since neither you or your FI drink coffee.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker http://hannahandalec.weebly.com/ My Planning Bio-Updated 9/18
  • Before I forced myself to stop drinking coffee every morning, I used a french press, and I liked it quite a bit and I would definitely not mind if I went to someone's house and that's what they had.  However, it's good to get a coarser ground bean to use with the french press or else you get more grounds in the coffee, and typically you have to get whole beans and grind them (you can generally do that in a store or coffee shop, but the bags of pre-ground coffee aren't ideal for french presses).  Also, if your purpose is for entertaining, you might want an electric coffee pot that will keep the coffee warm in case the person isn't drinking it right away.  I've seen an insulating sleeve for a french press, but that might be more than you want to get into.  
  • I voted french press because I love mine. Actually I have two different sizes. But that's not the point....haha. Jessica really is spot on, the coarser ground isn't as conducive to sporadic use, and if people ever were to bring coffee over as a hostess gift or something, it would most likely be for a drip maker. 
  • Honestly I LOVE the Kuerig machines and so does my family...when I moved to NJ for a few months my roomate LOVED it...you can buy a mixed box of K-cups on sale at Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond and put them in a drawer, it makes ONE CUP at a time...no real mess to clean up. I own one now but registered for an upgraded version...if I get the new one I will give my grandmother the other one as she loved is so much when I lived with her. She hated cleaning a whole pot ect for one person
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • DH and I have a French press and use it to make coffee for ourselves.  French press coffee when done right is actually some of the best-made coffee, so there's nothing to be ashamed of when serving it. 

However, most French presses aren't huge and when we've tried to serve 4 people with ours everyone only gets a small cup of coffee.  Also, French presses need a little more attention in terms of first boiling water, then pouring/mixing, then waiting the right amount of time to depress the press.  Traditional coffee makers are more hands off and can be set up in advance so it's easier to entertain guests.

Even though we already had a French press, we registered for (and received) a regular coffee maker to use when we entertain.
  • I second PP about the Keurig!  I'm not a big coffee person, but we wanted something to have on hand when coffee-drinking guests come over.  There's a small Keurig, and as PP said, if you buy K-Cups it can do so much more than coffee-- it also makes hot chocolate, tea, cappucino, etc.  We registered for this one, which, I believe, is the smallest one they have: http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=476403&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-77-_-MP677
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    I 2nd the french press and regular coffemaker!  I love my kitchen aid stainless steel one.  I wouldn't register for the cheapest one you can find just because you don't drink coffee.  I would at least get a decent one around $40-$50, and if you go have guests over often (especially overnight guests) an $80 may not be bad either.  Especially if you can get it to match your appliances.  Either way, definitely get a programmable one so when you do have overnight guests you can set it for them the night before. MUCH appreciated!
  • I would registar for a regular coffee maker.  All thought the French Press is nice, it only makes a little bit of coffee and I would assume you would be trying to make coffee for multiple people.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • I love having a french press but I think it is more hassle than it is worth for non-coffee connoisseurs.  You could get a small Keurig too- that way you just keep K-Cups on hand for the occasional guest and always have a variety to offer.  I love my Keurig!
  • I voted for the regular coffe maker. FI and I don't drink coffee but when we have guests, it is very easy and quick to make some. We just put the coffee maker in a closet when we don't have people over so it doesn't take up space.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-coffee-drinkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:19ab9af3-15c9-4fd8-b3a1-a124fee761bcPost:dea3048f-1152-4057-a325-93cbf136713f">Re: question for coffee drinkers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would registar for a regular coffee maker.  All thought the French Press is nice, it only makes a little bit of coffee and I would assume you would be trying to make coffee for multiple people.
    Posted by StacyJenniges[/QUOTE]

I have a 6 cup french press.  and it does make the coffee stronger/fresher tasting.
  • Stock up on Starbucks via and call it a day! LOL Only teasing!

I vote for the Keurig machine. You can make tea, hot chocolate, cider and even iced tea with a Keurig, so it may be something you end up using yourselves and can just keep a box of the coffee inserts on hand for guests. 
  • thanks, everyone! :-)
    Anniversary
  • If y'all aren't experienced coffee brewers, go with the no-fail $20 Mr. Coffee or the like.  Keep the box, foam pieces and all and pack it up in your top shelf the 363 days a year you don't plan to use it.

French presses can make phenomenal coffee, if the operator is experienced, the grind is just right and the temp is just right.  They are elegent as well and beautiful on the coffee tray.  But, if it's not done just right, or if you're serving more than two to four people, it's just not realistic.

PS. keep your coffee in an airtight container in the freezer.  Only let "thaw" what you will use that day and the rest will keep until your next party.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-coffee-drinkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:19ab9af3-15c9-4fd8-b3a1-a124fee761bcPost:e592c946-1929-49c9-8ff7-60c9ae92c88a">Re: question for coffee drinkers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second PP about the Keurig!  I'm not a big coffee person, but we wanted something to have on hand when coffee-drinking guests come over.  There's a small Keurig, and as PP said, if you buy K-Cups it can do so much more than coffee-- it also makes hot chocolate, tea, cappucino, etc.  We registered for this one, which, I believe, is the smallest one they have:  <a href="http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=476403&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-77-_-MP677" rel='nofollow'>http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=476403&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-77-_-MP677</a>
    Posted by lsvensson[/QUOTE]

Please please make sure you saw this in person, It was 2 Christmas ' ago that I asked my mom for one and they had one on sale (Normally like $99) for $14.99...she said it was pure crap (I have since seen it in stores and it looks like a cooking toy from the kids aisle)....so the $129 version is beautiful and sturdy (sometimes 119, but with kohls coupon or BBW coupon cheaper) the one we registered for this time is the 149.99 that holds water on the side and can make 6, 8, and 10 oz cup sizes
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • French presses are difficult for novices.  If you only make coffee once or twice a year, then you will drive yourself nuts.  Get a simple regular coffee maker.  Instant coffee is bad....very, very bad.
  • I agree with the others, a regular coffee maker is better than a French press for your situation because of the type of beans and overall effort involved for a French press.  I do like them, but it's unecessary for just a few times a year.  A $20 garden variety coffeemaker will be just fine.

If you think you and your FH would use it for other beverages (tea, hot cocoa) regularly, a Keurig might work for you, but if not I don't think it's a good choice.  It's much easier to make a large pot for a group of people rather than a bunch of individual mugs, plus the cost isn't really worth it.  Since you don't drink coffee, you probably won't keep a variety of coffees on hand, so the individual cups lose their appeal and just become an inconvnience in your case. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-coffee-drinkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:19ab9af3-15c9-4fd8-b3a1-a124fee761bcPost:f5c0c4b3-35cc-4e56-9472-4162be2cd4db">Re: question for coffee drinkers</a>:
    [QUOTE]If y'all aren't experienced coffee brewers, go with the no-fail $20 Mr. Coffee or the like.  Keep the box, foam pieces and all and pack it up in your top shelf the 363 days a year you don't plan to use it. French presses can make phenomenal coffee, if the operator is experienced, the grind is just right and the temp is just right.  They are elegent as well and beautiful on the coffee tray.  But, if it's not done just right, or if you're serving more than two to four people, it's just not realistic. PS. keep your coffee in an airtight container in the freezer.  Only let "thaw" what you will use that day and the rest will keep until your next party.
    Posted by OuachitaTrixie[/QUOTE]

<div>I completely agree with this.  I love a french press, but if you aren't a coffee drinker, you probably won't want to put the effort into learning how to use it correctly.  Also, 99% of people are just fine with a cup of regular drip coffee.  I agree that there is no need to choose one that is more than $20-25.  The simple models work just great.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But I would say choose one that has the alarm setting.  If you have guests, it's nice to assemble your coffee and then have it start brewing on it's own while you're finishing dinner or still upstairs in the morning.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Keuregs are nice, but unless you would really use it for the cider/chocolate, it's probably a waste to spend/register for a $100 appliance that you won't really use except for guests.  </div>
  • How often do you actually have guests who drink coffee?

I personally think if it is less than 4x per year, don't even bother with a coffee pot.  It is not that big a deal.

If you do have people over often and/or you have enough storage space in your kitchen, get a cheap drip coffee pot.  The french press isn't worth the effort, especially if you don't drink coffee at all.

The Keurig is a huge waste of money/space if you guys will only use it for guests.  That's silly.
  • I'm voting coffee maker.  We have a Keuring and we love it, but it's inconvenient when you have multiple people who want coffee.  We also have a French press, and like PP pointed out, it does not make a lot of coffee.  If you're going to be hosting a group, the coffee maker is certainly the most convenient way to go.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_question-coffee-drinkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:19ab9af3-15c9-4fd8-b3a1-a124fee761bcPost:c0024629-6648-4510-a7e4-ea4ffec56a96">Re: question for coffee drinkers</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I have a French press and use it to make coffee for ourselves.  French press coffee when done right is actually some of the best-made coffee, so there's nothing to be ashamed of when serving it.  However, most French presses aren't huge and when we've tried to serve 4 people with ours everyone only gets a small cup of coffee.  Also, French presses need a little more attention in terms of first boiling water, then pouring/mixing, then waiting the right amount of time to depress the press.  Traditional coffee makers are more hands off and can be set up in advance so it's easier to entertain guests. Even though we already had a French press, we registered for (and received) a regular coffee maker to use when we entertain.
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

Sara, you have a PM. =)
    Anniversary
  • I have gone to the homes of non-coffee drinkers and they just offered me tea. Why buy something that isn't for you? Then you have to buy coffee, creamer,etc. Just have a nice variety of tea on hand.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVE my Keurig, it's actually turned me into more a coffee drinker.  It's so quick and easy to use.  You can also use it for hot chocolate and tea. 
    Photobucket
  • I would get both.

French press makes the absolute best coffee ever but it's only, 32 oz, I think.

Get a larger cheapo coffee maker for when you have more guests
  • I would actually go with a percolator over a regular coffee-maker.  They are able to make more cups, they take up less space, and they keep the coffee nice and hot.
  • Most coffee afficianatos would prefer a French press. It makes for strong, flavorful coffee. But it's more work than an automatic drip machine - you have to grind the beans, boil water and set a timer. I wouldn't mind drinking drip coffee at all, and honestly, I drink that most often at home as well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited May 2011
    My FI's parents have this a-MA-zing Philips Senseo coffee maker. Only makes a cup at a time, but the stuff it produces is not only steaming hot, but also tastes wonderful. I'd go this route if I were you as it only gives you one cup of really great coffee instead of a big pot of bad stuff.  It is soooo quick and easy too--just pop in a pod and press the button. It will definitely impress your coffee drinking friends!
    "He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards