Snarky Brides

tk confessions

Re: tk confessions

• Oh. It's definitely a regional thing. A few of the places we looked at wouldn't even ALLOW a full open bar for liability reasons. 
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    One thing I hate about this place is how everyone needs to take a moment to talk about themselves. Re: cards. We now know what everyone did with their cards, awesome. Or cakes this morning. Glad we all got a chance to share that. It derails the flow of the thread away from its purpose and its freaking BORING.
  • edited June 2012
    Joy-

I will agree that is is actually very regional, and I don't think I have ever been to a fully hosted bar wedding in my life. And people totally get excited if there is anything hosted at all, and tend to overdrink in those cases.

ETA: aaaaand a little too slow on my response, I see. 
  • LOL @ shitty beer.  Our keg was Miller Lite which Ben and I both like to drink but I've definitely been to weddings where the keg beer was PBR or Busch Lite.  Classy! :)
    panther
  • I think people around here expect to get wasted at a wedding at no cost.  A friend was talking to me about a wedding she was at that had a hosted bar, but only a certain amount was brought in.  It was sold out within an hour and about 80% of the guests left and went to a bar.
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:50c2b5e6-50bb-467d-a48a-1f941500dbfc">Re:tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]One thing I hate about this place is how everyone needs to take a moment to talk about themselves. Re: cards. We now know what everyone did with their cards, awesome. Or cakes this morning. Glad we all got a chance to share that. It derails the flow of the thread away from its purpose and its freaking BORING.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

You talked about remembering what your guests wore at your wedding? How is that different?
  • haha AATB I bet the Hipsters loved the PBR. Oh wait, no hipsters in ND!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:6ba973bb-f42c-4faa-bd38-87cf113b22c7">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL @ shitty beer.  Our keg was Miller Lite which Ben and I both like to drink but I've definitely been to weddings where the keg beer was PBR or Busch Lite.  Classy! :)
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

puke.

We classed it up with Premium Grain Belt ;) (I wasn't about to get in the middle of the Miller vs. Bud debate, and they both suck.)  We also had Spotted Cow though.  And fancy pants wine.

It was also at noon on Sunday.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:d152bff8-fe52-47ed-9959-0ee69253492a">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is probably flammable, but I generally don't like it when guys post on here. Nothing against the guys, but I think they get all kinds of extra attention just for being male. Everything they say is seen as funnier and more unique because they are the first guy who said it. I remember thinking it with vegasgroom, charmin, and most likely that GroomNeedsAdvice or whatever.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

<div>I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I don't care that guys post on here and I love charmin, but in one thread it seemed that the girls almost got flirty with Groom. He has like 40 posts and when he comes around everyone flocks to talk to him. I guess I just don't get it. In one thread the other day they were talking about a "look" that a wife gives her husband and one girl, Angel maybe, was saying that she's going to perfect her look and her H won't know what hit him. Really? You think that a "look" is going to just flabbergast your man? Get over yourself. Someone else in the thread was saying that Groom needed to watch out because he's attracting some of the ladies around here. Dude has like 40 posts. 40! If a girl with 40 posts came in here no one would bat an eye. I get that he's more memorable because he is a man, but everyone just seems to fall in love with him when he's around, yet with 40 posts, they don't even know him.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:06093707-3e79-43f1-b71a-5c8b73c6b334">Re:tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved doing bridal portraits. They were included in our photography package and it's <strong>pretty unheard of NOT to do them here</strong>, atleast in our circle. I think I had one displayed, and we had a few from our engagement session. Its pretty normal down here. My sig pic is from my bridal portrait.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

Yes, one of my BM's bugs me about it all the time.  I was talked into doing it after my hair trial, but then my dress had to be fixed so I just didn't.  The photographer tried to talk me into doing them after the wedding.  I didn't get that.
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:192c0b7b-6ea3-49c8-b3bf-2d42e60e8e28">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : <strong>Welcome to the Midwest ;</strong>) MN is the same way, as was WI.  A few weekends ago was the first wedding I've attended that had a full open bar.  Usually wine/beer is hosted and you pay cash for anything else. I'm picky. I don't mind paying $5 for a drink I want. Much preferred over drinking your shitty beer and Boone's Farm wine.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think it's the whole midwest though.  I identify myself as from IN, but I've also lived in IA, IL, and OH at various points.  Of all of the weddings I've been to in the midwest (in IL, IN, MI, and OH), all but 1 had an open bar. So maybe cash bars more of an upper midwest thing? Or maybe I'm just friends with especially generous people, haha. </div>
  • edited June 2012
    Steph you are cracking my shiiit right now with the Miller vs. Bud debate (Team MILLER).  But dammit if I don't love me some Grain Belt.

Kate the wedding I went to that served PBR was my ex-boyfriend's bandmate.  When the band would practice they would drink PBR.  Ugh.  Nast.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:163708e3-4d3f-4b2b-a671-35f1454ee8bf">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : I don't think it's the whole midwest though.  I identify myself as from IN, but I've also lived in IA, IL, and OH at various points.  Of all of the weddings I've been to in the midwest (in IL, IN, MI, and OH), all but 1 had an open bar. So <strong>maybe cash bars more of an upper midwest thing?</strong> Or maybe I'm just friends with especially generous people, haha. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

I'm nodding with this.
    panther
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I was more so trying to illustrate that some brides deifinitely notice and remember what their guests wear. I wasnt trying to AW myself.
  • I really hope I get invited to a platinum wedding one day. I have heard some people bittch about how extravagent they are, and all I can think is- it would be so cool to actually get to go to one! 

• When people post pictures of their e-rings with their wedding bands it makes me nuts when the rings don't match or go together.  It's not necessarily something I judge, because obviously, people do what they want because of their preferences and I can't judge that.  But like, for me, personally, it would make me crazy if they didn't go together.  Because I'm a weirdo.  I've always loved wedding sets and I grew up studying my mom's on her hand, both my grandma's, etc.  I wanted a matching set so bad when I was growing up and looked at them all the time in magazines and online before I was engaged.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:1c8c2677-1e45-4b3d-854f-0346ab59d650">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : I just went back and re-read what I wrote because I was all 'WTF, where did she get that".  Yeah, I was typing fast and missed a couple words. People shouldn't just assume they'll [eta: meaning the guests] "just throw them away anyway."  Make more sense?  I'd be a little hurt if I knew that someone just tossed out my invitation or thank-you note, but how would I ever find out?  I just hate when people assume that EVERYONE just trashes them.  eta: I'm not making much sense today, I'm afraid.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry, I stepped out for a second.  But gotcha.  I understand what you are saying now!  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:f9bf045b-d9e8-4ec8-b370-e478c3dc60bc">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]When people post pictures of their e-rings with their wedding bands it makes me nuts when the rings don't match or go together.  It's not necessarily something I judge, because obviously, people do what they want because of their preferences and I can't judge that.  But like, for me, personally, it would make me crazy if they didn't go together.  Because I'm a weirdo.  I've always loved wedding sets and I grew up studying my mom's on her hand, both my grandma's, etc.  I wanted a matching set so bad when I was growing up and looked at them all the time in magazines and online before I was engaged.

I don't think my band matches my e-ring.  It DOES drive me nuts, but we couldn't afford to get one custom made.  It wasn't something FI thought about.  The band on my e-ring sort of looks like the infinity sign cut in half and a stone placed in the center so it isn't straight across.
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:26fe6e48-8747-4059-8765-3045d89cb15a">Re:tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was more so trying to illustrate that some brides deifinitely notice and remember what their guests wear. I wasnt trying to AW myself.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

And some people were saying that they do consider invites trash, and some don't.

I don't think it's a big deal either way. People are going to relate threads to their experience.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:f9bf045b-d9e8-4ec8-b370-e478c3dc60bc">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]When people post pictures of their e-rings with their wedding bands it makes me nuts when the rings don't match or go together.  It's not necessarily something I judge, because obviously, people do what they want because of their preferences and I can't judge that.  But like, for me, personally, it would make me crazy if they didn't go together.  Because I'm a weirdo.  I've always loved wedding sets and I grew up studying my mom's on her hand, both my grandma's, etc.  I wanted a matching set so bad when I was growing up and looked at them all the time in magazines and online before I was engaged.

Agreed! That's why I waited to get a wedding band until we were married 4 months. I never found one that worked with my e-ring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:163708e3-4d3f-4b2b-a671-35f1454ee8bf">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : I don't think it's the whole midwest though.  I identify myself as from IN, but I've also lived in IA, IL, and OH at various points.  Of all of the weddings I've been to in the midwest (in IL, IN, MI, and OH), all but 1 had an open bar. So maybe cash bars more of an upper midwest thing? Or maybe I'm just friends with especially generous people, haha. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]
    I think it depends on the region of Indiana? All of the weddings I've been to here, except one, have been partial hosted/partial cash. SIL's wedding was the only full open bar (and we took definite advantage of that). I wonder if part of the reason people around this area of the country get piss drunk at open bar receptions is because open bar isn't as common, so people see that and think 'hellz yes, imma get wasted for free.'
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:cb62a2f1-1f41-437a-8966-98fd7ffa0745">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : Agreed! That's why I waited to get a wedding band until we were married 4 months. I never found one that worked with my e-ring.

I hate my mom's upgrade wedding ring.  It's just the one ring with the massive diamond and a bunch of other random diamonds, lol.  I'm not entirely opposed to ring upgrades but if I did one I'd just get a different stone.  I want the two rings.  ...See I'm weird.
    panther
  • I had never written a thank you note before my shower or wedding.  I've never received one that wasn't from a shower or wedding, either.  I roll my eyes a little when people are all "what, you've NEVER written a thank you note before?" to some newb asking a question.  Well, no, some people have never written them before.  It's really not that shocking.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:1880c1f3-34d4-486d-a3d1-28b304ffe0f9">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had never written a thank you note before my shower or wedding.  I've never received one that wasn't from a shower or wedding, either.  I roll my eyes a little when people are all "what, you've NEVER written a thank you note before?" to some newb asking a question.  Well, no, some people have never written them before.  It's really not that shocking.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

That is weird to me. My mom always made us write thank you notes for birthday and Christmas gifts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:a28c3c87-946e-44c2-b680-6fb49d984bf9">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : That is weird to me. My mom always made us write thank you notes for birthday and Christmas gifts.

We always had to call people who gave us birthday and Christmas gifts and thank them.  But I wrote a crap load of thank-you cards after my high school graduation.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:a28c3c87-946e-44c2-b680-6fb49d984bf9">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : That is weird to me. My mom always made us write thank you notes for birthday and Christmas gifts.

<div>I was just going to say this.  I write thank you cards for everything.</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:a28c3c87-946e-44c2-b680-6fb49d984bf9">Re: tk confessions</a>:

Not mine.  I never got them from any of my friends either.  I mean everyone thanked each other in person at birthday parties and whatnot, but never any handwritten notes.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:cc4cffa2-36ae-446e-8fab-5391afbecf9f">Re: tk confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tk confessions : I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I don't care that guys post on here and I love charmin, but in one thread it seemed that the girls almost got flirty with Groom. He has like 40 posts and when he comes around everyone flocks to talk to him. I guess I just don't get it. In one thread the other day they were talking about a "look" that a wife gives her husband and one girl, <strong>Angel maybe, was saying that she's going to perfect her look and her H won't know what hit him. Really? You think that a "look" is going to just flabbergast your man? Get over yourself.</strong> Someone else in the thread was saying that Groom needed to watch out because he's attracting some of the ladies around here. Dude has like 40 posts. 40! If a girl with 40 posts came in here no one would bat an eye. I get that he's more memorable because he is a man, but everyone just seems to fall in love with him when he's around, yet with 40 posts, they don't even know him.
    Posted by VeggieLove1022[/QUOTE]

Dude, this was a joke, are you serious? My FI would never "fear" a look. Or words. Or anything else. And Groom is funny. He'd be funny with 40 posts, or 4000 posts.

I think my most hated TK party line is the "All your bridesmaids have to do is buy the dress and show up." And that's already been covered.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Birthdays and Christmas were pretty much the only time I DIDN'T have to write a thank-you note growing up.

Sorry Nebb, doing it wrong.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tk-confessions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a1e7c2bc-7cd5-40ba-be06-09d9cfd571bfPost:f9bf045b-d9e8-4ec8-b370-e478c3dc60bc">Re: tk confessions</a>:

I totally agree with this.  When we went engagement ring shopping, I tried my ring on with the wedding band I wanted to make sure it looked good together. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards