Florida-West Coast

Marriage license

I've seen a few people on here get their license a few weeks before the wedding...dont' they have to be signed by your pastor/officiant within a certain time frame to be "valid"?

I'm confused--how early can you get them?  Help :)

Re: Marriage license

• edited December 2011
    From the HIllsbourough Clerks website.....

How long is the marriage license valid?

Florida marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the effective date. The marriage ceremony must be performed between the effective date and the expiration date on the license.

http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/Marriage_FAQ.aspx
    http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/Marriage_Fees.aspx
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, FI refuses to get our license in Pasco county...because it's just too hick so we'll be going through Hillsborough county lol
  • edited December 2011
    It's valid for 60 days, but if you don't take a premarital course you have to wait three days before you can get married. If you have teken a premarital course there is no waiting period.
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also a premarital course gets you a discount.
  • dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you take a premarial course, make sure they are approved by Hillsborough County.  They have a list on their website.  Our priest did our pre-cana and initially, he wasn't on the list even though he had a certified stamp showing he did our counseling.  I went through the country and he was added to the list.  The discount is about $33 and they waive the waiting period.  The officiant doesn't sign the marriage certificate until after the ceremony is performed and then it's mailed in to the county.  You will then receive your certified copy in about 2 weeks.

Also, when changing your name on documents, mainly the DMV, call ahead to find out what documents you need.  Currently, I am trying to change my name and address and I need my birth certificate, current license, marriage license, 2 bills and/or bank statments with my new address and my new social security card with my married name.  When I talked to a manager at the DMV last week, she said Homeland Security is cracking down on things and they now require all this just to change your name.
  • jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dogluvor- Thanks for the info on changing your name on documents.  Wow!  They certainly make things difficult.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we were asking about it when we got our marriage license and there is a lot they require you to have now.  You don't want to get there and wait in line only to find that you don't have all the proper documents!
  • dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As for getting your new license, they do require a lot.  I would recommend making an appointment.  I live in Lakeland, and you can schedule an appointment so you don't wait in line.  Also, call the day before you go to verify the documentation.  The manager I spoke with said lately, the documents are changing almost weekly and sometimes daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards