Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Vegan Menu conflicts....long post!

2»

Re: Vegan Menu conflicts....long post!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegan-menu-conflictslong-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fd6ebd07-60ae-41a9-9666-e78d9f664d74Post:ecfb54f9-c6e7-41fe-8cf5-2db8f4adf2a5">Re: Vegan Menu conflicts....long post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Many vegans are such because it goes against their personal morals to eat meat.  Makes sense. But... why does that give them the okay to force their morals on their wedding guests who do choose to eat meat?  "It's not right for me, so at least for this meal, it's not right for you either, and I get to decide that because I'm paying for it."  I don't see the moral issue in vegetarianism, but I am happy to provide an animal-free meal for a friend who prefers it.  Why shouldn't it work the other way too?
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

Well, let's just say I wouldn't be okay providing heroin just because I have some friends who would like to have it at my wedding. (I don't have any of those friends, it's just an example.) If you're morally opposed to something, why would you support it financially?

It isn't preachy - it's serving a full meal she feels comfortable with. The guests will be fed a variety of tasty food appropriate for the time of day, which is all etiquette asks for.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    not2ez2bgreennot2ez2bgreen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the overwhelming response and support!
    Here's what we have decided to do...
    • Keep the vegan menu, and just stop telling people (aside from our veg. guests who a totally geeked) that its vegan, and they probably won't notice a lack of animal products
    • We are nixing the chili meatballs and going with mini falafel and roasted red pepper hummus
    • We are keeping the "quiche" and calling it spinach pie...the recipe uses egg repalcer to hold it all together, but it won't taste any different than a recipe that uses cornstarch as a binding agent.

FI's parents and siblings will probably still complain that theres nothing good to eat...but these are the same people who turn their nose up at whole grain anything, and didn't know there was such a thing as an orange bell pepper!

• Options
    marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see people giving the argument of "meat eaters offer vegetarian/vegan options, so it should be the reverse as well."  I totally disagree.  People who eat meat also eat a lot of non-meat items.  I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who is strictly a carnivore.   If ethically you do not want to buy and serve meat, you shouldn't.  Just make sure that you have some items that aren't tofu/soy since some people don't care for them.  Traditional non-meat hor dourves should do well though!
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
  • Options
    ceyringceyring member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just gave an outdoor engagement party with an almost entirely vegan menu.  I served watermelon gazpacho, garden salad, fruit salad, three kinds of sandwiches (including cucumber and avocado clubs with hummus, and roasted red pepper and hummus clubs, grilled eggplant with black olive-tomato spread on ciabbata), and zucchini-lemon couscous.  My sister made a vegan-friendly pasta salad but brought some grilled chicken on the side for her husband and any other picky eaters.  The brownies and cake were not vegan.  Of course we had chips and dip and that sort of thing as well.  My fiance's family are very traditional eaters and not one person had a complaint about the food (which my fiance and I made ourselves).  In fact, a lot of people raved about it and I've had to post the recipes on Facebook!  We did notice that people chose just a little at first, and then got up for second and third helpings as they enjoyed and heard other people enjoying.  As someone else said, the concept of vegan food is unfamiliar to many people.  But if you serve stuff that tastes good and has ingredients that people have at least seen before, they'll enjoy it.  The "bellignorant" people will not stop complaining long enough to enjoy anything or find a new food they like, and that's their loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards