Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Catholic Compromise

I'm sure there's been lots of posts about this but I haven't had much time to search.
I am not engaged yet but we have been discussing it for a year or two now. One of the biggest obstacles, besides the budget, that we have been skirting around because we're both worried that we won't agree is the actual ceremony. The future fiance's entire family is Catholic though he is not practicing beyond special events. Both his brother and sister have been married in Catholic ceremonies. I am a Methodist and though I'm not a practicing one, and for my own reasons I would still prefer not to have a Catholic wedding. He wants a Catholic ceremony mainly to please his family. I feel a bit bratty but I don't think I should be forced to conduct a Catholic ceremony to please his extended family. Am I out of line? Do you have any suggestions on compromising Catholic ceremonies with other faiths or even secular? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Julie

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Catholic Compromise

• He actually did say to me that he would want it to be Catholic for his grandmother and family as they are all practicing Catholics. In fact, his biggest reason for wanting a Catholic ceremony was for length. It bothered him that so much planning and money goes into a (in his words) "slam bam thank you ma'am" length ceremony. Which to me, is not a good reason to have a ceremony of this type. I have no problems incorporating readings and songs that are meaningful to both of us but utilizing a particular type of ceremony for length isn't giving proper respect to the traditions. 
    It's possible that he feels deeper about it than that but he didn't not express it during our discussion. When the time comes we will for sure have this discussion I was just curious if anyone else found themselves in similar situation and what choices they made.
    Thanks.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I do have a suggestion! Check out the Episcopal church, as it's a very common compromise for Catholic/Protestant couples. It has the tradition and ritual of the Catholic church without the life instrusion on birth control, the male hierarchy, etc. The Episcopal church considers itself "fully Catholic and fully Protestant." It feels very similar to the Catholic mass, but it has female priests, gay priests, etc. It's just a lot more liberal. Their focus is very much on living Christ's teachings and social justice, and not on "being saved" or converting others to the faith.

I am a former Catholic. My fiance is a former Southern Baptist. We ADORE our church and will be married there. I would highly recommend checking it out.

Also, you do not have to convert to the Episcopal church to be married in one.
  • PS - I just had a discussion with a woman at my church yesterday who was forced to take a class on NFP (Natural Family Planning) when she and her husband went through marriage encounter. She had to keep a log of very private stuff, and turn it in to her class leader. That's just icky to me.
  • Thanks Pippa that's very helpful. I don't mind a religious ceremony but I don't agree with catholocism. To each their own, I do NOT want to start a religious debate, it's just not for me.

P.S. Ew. My body is my personal business.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise:[QUOTE]Have you ever seen a Catholic wedding ceremony?nbsp; It's not that different from a Methodist ceremony.nbsp; I have played the organ at both, and I know.nbsp; It would not be necessary for you to have a nuptial mass.nbsp; There are no consequences for you if you have a Catholic ceremony.nbsp; It will be recognized by the United Methodist church.nbsp; You do not have to convert, and you only have to agree "not to interfere" with your husband raising you children in the Catholic faith if he wants to do that.There are HUGE consequences for your boyfriend if he is married in a Methodist ceremony.nbsp; Your marriage will not be recognized by the Catholic church, and he will not be in a state of grace, and will be barred from receiving the sacraments communion.I don't think you two are ready for marriage.nbsp; You obviously need to work out religious differences before you are married.nbsp; These may not seem important now, but they may become very important if you have children.nbsp; Get religious counseling now.nbsp; I have seen more than one marriage break up over this. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha. You are the only Catholic I know who feels this way, outside of the priesthood. I don't even know nuns who would support denying a man communion for marrying outside the Church. Get a clue. Most Catholics get married outside the church these days. The church places too many restrictions on couples. Even people who want a Catholic ceremony get a deacon and have a blessing instead so they can have their outdoor wedding. This man does not care about his own faith. He wants to please his family, and therefore he should not subject his wouldbe wife to the church fathers telling her to get off her birth control and start using the rhythm method.
  • SpartanCatSpartanCat member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    CMGr,
    Thank you for your post.
    I have seen a Catholic wedding and been to Catholic masses. It is not my preference for my personal reasons.
    I understand the consequences of his not having a Catholic ceremony. As it is, he does not take communion anyway when we do go because he has not confessed. If this was important to him, I feel he would confessed before now so that he could do so. But again, we will have this conversation again when it comes time.
    I distinctly disagree on being ready to marry. Neither he nor I are particularly religious people. We believe in being good people and having proper values without needing to follow a specific faith. This is our preference, I am not saying it is right for everyone. Though it will be awhile yet before we have children, we plan to bring them up with proper values based in good will, humility, respect, and tolerance. Religious denomination has very little to do with it.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Guys, 
    I appreciate your opinions but again I don't want to get into a religious debate. I do not agree with many of the beliefs of the catholic church and plan to leave it at that. If it is more important to him than he expressed before, I am willing to listen, I am not heartless. At this point, he has not given me a reason to do so. 
    I am just asking for suggestions on compromises or what others have done in similar situation.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • runpipparunrunpipparun member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Compromise:Thanks Pippa that's very helpful. I don't mind a religious ceremony but I don't agree with catholocism. To each their own, I do NOT want to start a religious debate, it's just not for me. P.S. Ew. My body is my personal business.Posted by SpartanCatPippa is just wrong.nbsp; You will be required to have counseling to be married in the United Methodist church, too.nbsp; Most ministers will want to discuss your personal history and plans for the future, too.nbsp; If you don't want to talk about this, get married in a courthouse.What is it that bothers you so much about the Catholic faith?nbsp; To each his own, but you don't have to convert to get married in a Catholic church. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Compromise:Thanks Pippa that's very helpful. I don't mind a religious ceremony but I don't agree with catholocism. To each their own, I do NOT want to start a religious debate, it's just not for me. P.S. Ew. My body is my personal business.Posted by SpartanCatPippa is just wrong.nbsp; You will be required to have counseling to be married in the United Methodist church, too.nbsp; Most ministers will want to discuss your personal history and plans for the future, too.nbsp; If you don't want to talk about this, get married in a courthouse.What is it that bothers you so much about the Catholic faith?nbsp; To each his own, but you don't have to convert to get married in a Catholic church. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I am not wrong. You may have to do marriage counseling in other churches, but the Catholic church is the only one that directly asks about your birth control, tells you it is like 1000 abortions, and hammers you natural family planning.

I said nothing about converting to Catholicism. I said you didnt have to convert to episcopalian to be married there. Like, neither of you, so neither OP nor FI would have to convert. And only one has to even be baptized. In the catholic church, both have to be baptized and one of you has to be Catholic. I know this bc my brother can't get the Sacrament bc his FI never got baptized in the Lutheran church and won't just for a wedding.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:1acb4066-d837-44cf-ae9b-8a5984afff2a">Re:Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: Hahahahaha. You are the only Catholic I know who feels this way, outside of the priesthood. I don't even know nuns who would support denying a man communion for marrying outside the Church. Get a clue. Most Catholics get married outside the church these days. The church places too many restrictions on couples. Even people who want a Catholic ceremony get a deacon and have a blessing instead so they can have their outdoor wedding. This man does not care about his own faith. He wants to please his family, and therefore he should not subject his wouldbe wife to the church fathers telling her to get off her birth control and start using the rhythm method.
    Posted by runpipparun[/QUOTE]

Pippa, I'm sorry but your post is out of line and horribly incorrect. Most practicing Catholics DO get married in the Church. Most practicing Catholics believe in the reasons behind the rubrics that the Church has laid out. They appreciate that the Church holds marriage in such high regard and requires couples to put forth effort.

The Rhythm Method <u><strong>is not</strong></u> NFP. The Church does NOT recommend the Rhythm Method AT ALL. NFP has helped many, many women solve health problems that their pill-pushing doctors were neglecting. So, before you start spewing hatred and falsehoods, do some research, or simply keep quiet.

OP - I agree with the above. You need to speak to your future FI about the role religion will play in his life, not just for the wedding day. As a Catholic, I wouldn't want someone who didn't care about the Church and her doctrines to be using a Catholic ceremony simply to appease family. It's horribly dishonest and I would hate to think of someone standing at the altar, lying to a priest, pretending to believe in the faith. Encourage him to really think about it now, and if he is not really concerned about remaining Catholic, I think it would be best to seek out a non-denominational ceremony that incorporates elements that you two feel comfortable with.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:106ca8c0-c912-4590-9e82-c49e5d777214">Re:Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: I am not wrong. You may have to do marriage counseling in other churches, but the Catholic church is the only one that directly asks about your birth control, tells you it is like 1000 abortions, and hammers you natural family planning. I said nothing about converting to Catholicism. I said you didnt have to convert to episcopalian to be married there. Like, neither of you, so neither OP nor FI would have to convert. And only one has to even be baptized. In the catholic church, both have to be baptized and one of you has to be Catholic. I know this bc my brother can't get the Sacrament bc his FI never got baptized in the Lutheran church and won't just for a wedding.

I have never heard of anyone personally that has gone the marriage prep with the Catholic Church and been asked about their birth control. Also - NFP classes are not mandatory in every parish. I was not required to take one myself. I chose to learn the method for my own health.

A Catholic can have a sacramental marriage if they are marrying a baptized Christian. If a Catholic marries someone who is not baptized, they are still validly married according to the Church and if the unbaptized person was to be baptized later, their marriage would immediately be sacramental.
  • edited June 2012
    You do not need to compromise anything- why can't you just have both a catholic priest and a methodist priest? I went to a wedding once that had a rabbi and a priest. This just seems like the most logical solution ?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Riss,
    I haven't figured out how to quote yet but the part about appeasing his family is spot on. I don't practice myself but I respect the fundamentals and traditions of Christianity and Catholocism. There are just details that I don't agree with. And pleasing other people seems to disrespect the institution. I am trying to find a compromise that works for us both. Personally, a non-denominational approach would be my preference. (Actually that's what brought up the whole conversation. My mom's best friend has always been practically a second mom to me and I asked him if he would mind her officiating as she is ordained.)
    Thank you for your posts.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Owning a home,
    That would be a solution though I'm not sure how it would work. Would that be like having two ceremonies? That would definitely fill his time requirements haha. I actually had a cousin who did a hindi/catholic wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony.
    Thanks for your post.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • p.s. i don't know if ordained is the right word but she is an officiant.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:f5e6acc9-9a4f-4f03-9676-75d9c982720b">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]Riss, I haven't figured out how to quote yet but the part about appeasing his family is spot on. I don't practice myself but I respect the fundamentals and traditions of Christianity and Catholocism. There are just details that I don't agree with. And pleasing other people seems to disrespect the institution. I am trying to find a compromise that works for us both. Personally, a non-denominational approach would be my preference. (Actually that's what brought up the whole conversation. My mom's best friend has always been practically a second mom to me and I asked him if he would mind her officiating as she is ordained.) Thank you for your posts.
    Posted by SpartanCat[/QUOTE]

Happy to help! You can quote by clicking on "Reply to this Post" underneath the person's post you want to quote.

Your future FI might be hiding behind his family being the reason, when in reality, he himself wants to have the ceremony. Just make sure you approach him in a supportive way so that he is 100% comfortable. It is a really tricky topic to manuever, so be patient and warm. The funny thing is - the fact that he doesn't go up for communion, as he hasn't gone to confession, makes it seem he is pretty serious about his faith. Many Catholics don't have such restraint!

You may be able to have a ceremony in another Christian church, if you have a relative that is an officiant there. You would just have to get the priest to sign off on it. It would be nearly impossible to have a priest officiate outside of a Catholic Church.
  • edited June 2012
    I hope that the following post does not come out harsh.

If this is the man that you plan on marrying, you are out of line, I guess. I am not Catholic, I don't agree with the religion at all. But, I'm not marrying a Catholic, I'm marrying Christian, like I. That is why I am kind of opposed to people from different religions or spiritual beliefs marrying each other. It never works out.  Anything spiritually related is so deep and serious, and both partners must be on the same page. I'm a Christian, and I follow the Bible. The Bible reads 'How can two walk together, unless they be agreed?' Also, it reads  that you have to submit to your husband (not in a demeaning way, because the Bible teaches that he has to honor and respect you, love you like Christ loves the church  and he has to submit to the Lord). That is what I believe, and no one can ever change it. So if your future husband is adament about having a Catholic ceremony, you have to follow it, if you don't like it, you shouldn't marry him. I just think that this is such a deeper issue. If you guys are disagreeing with something like this, what will happen when you both have children? Where will they go to church? How will they be baptized? What do you want them to believe? I'm very disturbed by the fact that he's wants this because of his family. I can just smell alot of arguments, contention, and strife in the future. Trust me, you do not want to marry someone who'll make big decisions off of what his family wants, and disregard what you, his WIFE wants.

That being said, you can ultimitely do what you want. :-) I truly hope that the above paragraph didn't come out sounding too mean. The last thing that I want to do is upset someone, however, I will tell the truth. And honestly, between you and your husband, I can def. understand your point of view more. I truly hope that everything works out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:c00d417a-ce51-4220-a5a6-97b0a63826dd">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Compromise : Ummm... Catholicism and Christianity are the same religion. Catholics are Christians. So I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, I believe that Catholicism can be considered by some as Christianity, but for me, I'm a spirit-filled, new testament church Christian, I just don't believe in Catholicism. But I really don't want to get into a debate on this.</div>
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:032c95f0-d39b-4c29-a9b2-1a0651dfd181">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]Owning a home, That would be a solution though I'm not sure how it would work. Would that be like having two ceremonies? That would definitely fill his time requirements haha. I actually had a cousin who did a hindi/catholic wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony. Thanks for your post.
    Posted by SpartanCat[/QUOTE]

The one I went to was obv an interfaith marriage- the bride was jewish and the groom was catholic and neither was planning to convert. It was one ceremony and the rabbi said his schpiel and then the priest said his schpiel. I am assuming the rabbi contacted the priest and worked it out with him but it was one ceremony... I believe they did break the glass (which is a jewish tradition) and had a huppah but both religions were represented by the clergy and yes, it as well, was a beautiful cermeony.

I'm not religious at all so I don't know how any of this works- we are using a justice of the peace.

I also should mention the ceremony was at the reception venue not a house of worship.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:ed8eb0ea-4946-4ce4-ba38-50d8f68cc46c">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Compromise : Yes, I believe that Catholicism can be considered by some as Christianity, but for me, I'm a spirit-filled, new testament church Christian, I just don't believe in Catholicism. But I really don't want to get into a debate on this.
    Posted by keringtonp[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>What you say? No. As a Catholic who grew up in the buckle of the Bible Belt, I'm familiar with people like you. Do you also think that Catholics are idolators who worship Mary? Just because you've don't know about something doesn't make it less than what you believe. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:b0818499-1e70-4f7e-9894-c6be25dc62e9">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, there is so much misinformation about both Catholic and Methodist weddings flying around here that I am not touching it.  Instead, I'll focus on the much bigger issue. SpartanCat, if you are too afraid to have this conversation with your boyfriend because you are worried about causing a fight, you two are nowhere near ready to get engaged and plan a wedding.  You two need to both figure out what type of role you want religion to play in your lives and future, and which religion that is for each of you.  Then you need to be together for a bit with whatever choices those are just kind of hanging around as part of every day life.  Finally, you both need to get strong enough to tell your respective parents what your religious choices are and have the ceremony that is the most important, comfortable and meaningful, for both of you.  THEN you will be in a place where marriage is a practical possibility.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Let me clarify a bit as I do not think I worded the situation clearly. We have had many discussions about religion. Both of us agree on the fundamentals and most of the particulars. Neither of us believe that it is necessary to attend church regularly to be a good person as long as you stick to the fundamental beliefs and values that makes one a good person. Do unto others, don't steal, etc. etc. I need to stress yet again that this is our opinion, not anyone elses. This is how we have both been living for several years. The only time that denomination even comes up is more about which family we are spending the important holiday with as we will attend church with our family members rather than the denomination itself.</div><div>The current situation stands that we will be marrying each other. Due to budgetary and locational issues, he has not proposed. I am not afraid to have the discussion with him, we just have not taken the time to seriously hash it out as it is not the time to until we are planning in earnest. Believe you me, we are more than comfortable having an argument lol. The part about worried about coming to a compromise is mainly me fretting over it in my mind because we haven't had a serious talk about it. </div><div>My main point in creating this post was to ask others if they have been in the situation where their significant other was in a faith of a different denomination (especially as a Catholic as the system is much more...strict is not really the word I want to use but it will have to do), if both parties compromised or if the non catholic must compromise to the catholic. It is due process so when we have the discussion, I can go into it with other options and situations so it does not dissolve into a big fight.</div><div>I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their opinons.</div><div>
    </div>

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Oh my.

First, I just have to say that I was really offended by Pippa's posts and hope no one took seriously her misinformation.

Second, OP, I agree with the pps that said this really comes down to whether your FI truly wants to pratice his faith.  If he does, then you should really consider having the Catholic ceremony.  If not, then you two should have a ceremony that more accurately reflects your beliefs (secular, or maybe some other church), and don't cave in to family.  Be as gracious to family as possible, but you can't have a particular ceremony just for their sake.  Getting married in the Catholic Church is a sacred event, and you're right, it would be disrespectful to the church for you both to marry there if neither one of you believe in it.

I hope you two can really talk about your religious beliefs and figure out how you both want to live (with religious or without).  It's important for you to support each other in this way, even if your beliefs aren't exactly the same.

Lastly, I always find it weird when people suggest some "compromise" church.  Nothing against the episcopal church, and if either bride or groom believed in it, then I'd say go for it.  But if neither person believes in episcopal doctrine, then it doesn't please anyone for them to marry in it because I promise you the Catholic family members will not view it as a "close enough" church. 

SaveSave
  • Monkeysip,
    Thank you. Very helpful feedback.
    I don't think anything will really make me feel better about it until we sit down and really talk.
    I agree. In considering it more, it does seem a little odd to seek out a "middle ground" church.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • <div>I'm sorry, please point out my misinformation. I went to Catholic school. I was a practicing Catholic for 26 years. I spent a significant portion of my young adulthood spending time at a monastery in my hometown with some extremely amazing nuns. I studied the history of Christianity at a rather lofty school on the west coast. I was engaged and went through marriage encounter about 6 years ago and experienced a priest being all up in my business and how I choose to plan MY family and judging my fiance for not being a baptized Christian (we broke up for other reasons). My brother who was more devout than I was and very involved in our university's community can't receive the Sacrament because his FI won't be baptized just to appease the church, even though she believes in God. Whereas if he were marrying her sister, a baptized Atheist, it would be all right. That makes a lot of sense.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry, but the Catholic church's rules are driving people away. I read an article that stated that the only reason the church's numbers are staying even are because of immigration --- young American Catholics are leaving in droves, as are many Protestants.</div><div>
    </div><div>I researched and prayed and meditated on finding a church that I felt met my needs as a woman and as a parishoner in general (I don't know how other Catholics feels, but I get annoyed when my bishop yanks my priest away to serve some rich, whiny parish in another part of the state and gives us some old dude that kills our attendace).</div><div>
    </div><div>The Episcopal Church's teachings are not so concrete. They allow me to think as I will. I find it refreshing. But don't say I don't know what I'm talking about w/ regards to the Catholic church.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:aa7da800-2ab5-4dcb-8823-9b21a3a560a8">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my. First, I just have to say that I was really offended by Pippa's posts and hope no one took seriously her misinformation. Second, OP, I agree with the pps that said this really comes down to whether your FI truly wants to pratice his faith.  If he does, then you should really consider having the Catholic ceremony.  If not, then you two should have a ceremony that more accurately reflects your beliefs (secular, or maybe some other church), and don't cave in to family.  Be as gracious to family as possible, but you can't have a particular ceremony just for their sake.  Getting married in the Catholic Church is a sacred event, and you're right, it would be disrespectful to the church for you both to marry there if neither one of you believe in it. I hope you two can really talk about your religious beliefs and figure out how you both want to live (with religious or without).  It's important for you to support each other in this way, even if your beliefs aren't exactly the same. Lastly, I always find it weird when people suggest some "compromise" church.  Nothing against the episcopal church, and if either bride or groom believed in it, then I'd say go for it.  But if neither person believes in episcopal doctrine, then it doesn't please anyone for them to marry in it because I promise you the Catholic family members will not view it as a "close enough" church. 
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:106ca8c0-c912-4590-9e82-c49e5d777214">Re:Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: <strong>I am not wrong. You may have to do marriage counseling in other churches, but the Catholic church is the only one that directly asks about your birth control, tells you it is like 1000 abortions, and hammers you natural family planning.</strong> I said nothing about converting to Catholicism. I said you didnt have to convert to episcopalian to be married there. Like, neither of you, so neither OP nor FI would have to convert. And only one has to even be baptized. In the catholic church, both have to be baptized and one of you has to be Catholic. I know this bc my brother can't get the Sacrament bc his FI never got baptized in the Lutheran church and won't just for a wedding.

This? Right here? is 100% wrong. I know this because I'm about 7 weeks away from getting married in my Catholic church. I also know this because I finished my RCIA classes and took my sacraments this Easter. I learned all about this.

I also met with my priest and went over this. I'm on birth control. I had no problems letting my priest know that. There was absolutely no talk about how I've committed 1000 abortions. In fact, the word abortion never came up in conversation. I disclosed the information on my own because I knew it was a hot topic in the Catholic church. Not only did my priest thank me for being so open, he understood why I'm on birth control and while he told me about NFP, he said that was something my FI and I need to discuss as well as my GYN, since you can't just stop taking birth control cold turkey without messing things up.

And a Catholic can marry a non-baptized person in the church, however it is not considered a sacramental marriage.
  • @ Pippa

You are making generalizations based upon your limited experiences.  The Church does not teach that you cannot marry a non-Catholic or non-baptized person, but if the person hasn't been baptized you both cannot receive the sacrament of marriage.  Your marriage is still perfectly valid and "real"... it's just not sacramental because a non-baptized person cannot receive a sacrament.  Baptism is the first sacrament required to receive all other sacraments.

You also falsely claimed that most Catholics marry outside of the Church.

You also make generalizations about NFP classes, and falsely called it the rhythm method.  Not all instructors require to look at your chart, but even if they did, it is only to help you understand better how to interpret it. 

You don't have to agree with Catholic teaching but it sounds really ignorant when you claim that your priest was all up in your personal business over how you plan your family.  Of course he was.  That's his job.  His job is to look out for your soul and guide you to a good and healthy lifestyle.  His job is also to help make sure that your marriage will be holy and healthy.  You can disagree with what he or the church believes about marriage, but don't be all surprised when a church or its clergy actually enforces what they teach. 

You may like a church that lacks concrete beliefs.  I don't.  Doesn't matter, because I'm not here judging other people's religions.  You are.  That's why I'm offended.  OP asked for advice on whether to have a Catholic ceremony not on your personal beliefs on the errors of the Catholic Church.

And while I don't think your correct in your assertion that American catholics are leaving in droves, I also think it doesn't matter.  I don't choose my faith based upon what is popular or what the majority of Americans agree with.  If people choose to leave the Catholic Church, that is their problem, not mine, and I don't think the Church should change just to please the masses.  Truth doesn't change.

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:1acb4066-d837-44cf-ae9b-8a5984afff2a">Re:Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: Hahahahaha. You are the only Catholic I know who feels this way, outside of the priesthood. I don't even know nuns who would support denying a man communion for marrying outside the Church. Get a clue. <strong>Most Catholics get married outside the church these days</strong>. The church places too many restrictions on couples.<strong> Even people who want a Catholic ceremony get a deacon and have a blessing instead so they can have their outdoor wedding</strong>. This man does not care about his own faith. He wants to please his family, and therefore he should not subject his wouldbe wife to the church fathers telling her to get off her birth control and start using the rhythm method.

Where did you get this from? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:1acb4066-d837-44cf-ae9b-8a5984afff2a">Re:Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Catholic Compromise: Hahahahaha. You are the only Catholic I know who feels this way, outside of the priesthood. I don't even know nuns who would support denying a man communion for marrying outside the Church. Get a clue. Most Catholics get married outside the church these days. The church places too many restrictions on couples. Even people who want a Catholic ceremony get a deacon and have a blessing instead so they can have their outdoor wedding. This man does not care about his own faith. He wants to please his family, and therefore he should not subject his wouldbe wife to the church fathers telling her to get off her birth control and start using the rhythm method.

hahaha, this laugh is on you. CMGr is not Catholic. She is Methodist with a very clear understanding and respect for the Catholic church.

As a (former devout) Catholic, I can assure you that CMGr is absolutely correct. I was married in a Congregational church and was not permitted by my conscience and our beloved Catholic pastor to receive the sacraments, until we had our marriage convalidated by the church.The church has it's reasons for the rules, which you find ridiculous.

Your post was very rude.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-compromise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:35ad4d8b-beb5-434e-ba63-10fc64b74ffbPost:b0938ec2-3f3b-480e-a055-dcd7a3a5c30f">Re: Catholic Compromise</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Pippa You are making generalizations based upon your limited experiences.  The Church does not teach that you cannot marry a non-Catholic or non-baptized person, but if the person hasn't been baptized you both cannot receive the sacrament of marriage.  Your marriage is still perfectly valid and "real"... it's just not sacramental because a non-baptized person cannot receive a sacrament.  Baptism is the first sacrament required to receive all other sacraments. You also falsely claimed that most Catholics marry outside of the Church. You also make generalizations about NFP classes, and falsely called it the rhythm method.  Not all instructors require to look at your chart, but even if they did, it is only to help you understand better how to interpret it.  You don't have to agree with Catholic teaching but it sounds really ignorant when you claim that your priest was all up in your personal business over how you plan your family.  Of course he was.  That's his job.  His job is to look out for your soul and guide you to a good and healthy lifestyle.  His job is also to help make sure that your marriage will be holy and healthy.  You can disagree with what he or the church believes about marriage, but don't be all surprised when a church or its clergy actually enforces what they teach.  You may like a church that lacks concrete beliefs.  I don't.  Doesn't matter, because I'm not here judging other people's religions.  You are.  That's why I'm offended.  OP asked for advice on whether to have a Catholic ceremony not on your personal beliefs on the errors of the Catholic Church. And while I don't think your correct in your assertion that American catholics are leaving in droves, I also think it doesn't matter.  I don't choose my faith based upon what is popular or what the majority of Americans agree with.  If people choose to leave the Catholic Church, that is their problem, not mine, and I don't think the Church should change just to please the masses.  Truth doesn't change.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<strong>All of this!
    </strong>
    OP, I think talking with your FI (as you intend to ) is the best idea. Don't pick a church as a compromise and don't listen to the misinformation about the Catholic church. There is so much misinformation about the church that is widely accepted as fact it gets hard to tell the difference. If your FI really doesn't care about getting married in the church and is ok with everything that entails then maybe a secular wedding or a spiritual wedding would be more suitable..and the family will just have to deal with it. If he really wants the Catholic wedding maybe talking to a priest or someone in the church about the things you like/dislike and finding out the facts will help.
  • meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I agree with Stage Manager.  DEFINITELY do not have a Catholic ceremony just to please his family.  If it's important to your fiance personally, it may be worth compromising and getting more information from a priest at a local parish where you might like to have your ceremony.  My husband and I are both Catholic but not practicing and when we looked into all the additional costs of holding our ceremony in a Catholic church we decided to have a judge who is a friend of my husband's family marry us so we could have an outdoor ceremony and keep everything at the same venue...and I have some social anxiety so I wanted a short civil ceremony where all I had to say was "I do"!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Hey everyone,
    Thank you all for your opinions. I will try to stop stressing over it until the time comes to sit down and have a serious conversation.
    I hope I didn't create too much drama. I'm new here and I was trying to aviod a religious debate but it was apparently not the hot button topic to start off with on this site!
    Thanks again : )

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards