Chinese Weddings

Traditional embroidered signing cloth

We're using the embroidered silk signing cloth (with the dragon/phoenix) as our guest book. Does anyone have any tips on the best type of pens to use on it? Should I put some sort of cardboard or posterboard underneath it, so it's easier for people to write on? Thanks!

Re: Traditional embroidered signing cloth

• edited December 2011
    I used spray adhesive to mount it on a piece of foam board I bought from the art store.  The foam boards they have at Michaels were too small for mine so I I had the art store cut it to size (with about a 3" perimeter on each side). 

I was going to get pens with archival ink from the art store but I ran out of time and just bought fine point Sharpies.
  • StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a couple of weddings where they used sharpies.  They seemed to work fine.  FYI, just make sure whoever puts the cloth out can read Chinese.  I went to one where the back side of the cloth was turned up for people to sign, and I guess no one noticed.
  • PapillonsPapillons member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    where can I get one ?
  • edited December 2011
    oh my goodness. That's horrible -- signing it on the wrong side! ): That reminds me of a See's store my mom and I went into one time around Chinese New Year and they had some sign up and it was upside down.

I'm glad I saw this thread -- I totally forgot about this signing cloth. I've seen it at other weddings I've been to, but my parents haven't said anything. I'm also getting a guestbook from my photographer (it came with our package). I better ask to make sure my mom isn't getting the cloth...
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also would like to know where to get one.  Anyone know?
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mle178mle178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My aunt got mine for me, but I don't know from where--I'm guessing Chicago's Chinatown. However, I had started looking online and found this one: http://www.chinabridal.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CB&Product_Code=SIGNC&Category_Code=SIGNC
  • edited December 2011
    You can find the signing cloths at Chinese bookstores.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards