November 2013 Weddings

Honeymoon Registry?

Hey November knotties!

Is it tacky to include the honeymoon registry on our Save the Dates or should I include it with our invitations? 

We're not registering anywhere because we're combining two households and have everything.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Registry?

• Rum, you absolutely do not include your registry information on your save the dates. You certainly can post it on your website, but it is poor etiquette to include on a save the date or invitations That being said, its worth mentioning that honeymoon registries are also in poor taste. I'd recommend you check out the registry board, where you can learn more about how honeymoon registries are not always what they appear to be, and how often the websites take a percentage of what your guests give you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Agree with Button 100%.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also agree with button. Honeymoon registries are just another way of asking for money, which is tacky. Don't do it. Just make a small registry to avoid the "white elephant" gifts (because some people refuse to give cash and will want to get you something boxed). If some one asks you about your registry, mention it then say you are "saving up for ______".  Also, keep in mind that some people refuse to give cash that they know is going towards a honeymoon, so it's still good to have a registry if you only plan on saving the cash for the honeymoon.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with Button. It is in poor taste to have a Honeymoon Registry and to put it in/on your STDs/Invites. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Agreed. Please don't do a honeymoon registry. Your guests will talk behind your back.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Agree with PP's.  I felt duped when I found out what honeymoon registries really are-I had given "excursions" to people in the past.  To find out that they actually received a check for about 85% of what I spent instead of that ziplining tour was a slap in the face.

In general, it's never ok to include any registry information in any kind of invitations (including save the dates).  The only exception to this is a shower, where the entire point of the event is gift giving.  That's the only place registry information should be included in the invitation.
  • In Response to Re:Honeymoon Registry?:[QUOTE]Agree with PP's.nbsp; I felt duped when I found out what honeymoon registries really areI had given "excursions" to people in the past.nbsp; To find out that they actually received a check for about 85 of what I spent instead of that ziplining tour was a slap in the face.In general, it's never ok to include any registry information in any kind of invitations including save the dates.nbsp; The only exception to this is a shower, where the entire point of the event is gift giving.nbsp; That's the only place registry information should be included in the invitation. Posted by gmcr78[/QUOTE]

A shower certainly is the exception but OP, as the bride, shouldn't be planning her own shower :

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree, and wasn't insinuating that she was.  I was just making the point that it's not appropriate for her to be including her own registry information in her wedding save the dates or formal invitations.
  • My FI discovered Honeymoon registry when I was rifling through handouts I got at a bridal expo I went to.  He thought it was a great idea.  I had to explain to him how they are a rip off and its pretty much asking for cash and how it was not a good idea or option to have.  He wasn't happy that his idea got shot down but I think he got over it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RumDiaryRumDiary member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, thank you knotties!!

Since the post (and obviously having been away for a bit), I created a honeymoon registry through honeyfund. 

I'm a little embarrassed yet so glad I asked!   I would have been one of "those" brides and would have never even known.  Your responses make sense and I really do appreciate your helpful guidance and suggestions. 

I've since quickly de-activated the Registry button from our wedding website.

Thankfully, our guests will not see it when they get our STDs.  Whew! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good for you!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards