Wedding Etiquette Forum

Momo

Re: Momo

• Shadynasty is my new favorite name.
  • You should print this out and frame it for his room. :)

Stack - That is one of my favorite things about the picture. That guy makes me laugh. That is the Columbus marathon running behind us!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Shadynasty - must be the conditions surrounding her pregnancy.  How exactly do you explain to your child that you hated them so much at birth that you thought they deserved this name?
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2009
    Future conversation between Shadynasty and her mom....

S: Mommy, how did I get my name?
    S's Mommy: Well sweetie, your daddy and I were fooling around in a shady spot near a meadow.  Then he got really worked up and started doing nasty things to me.  Two weeks later when I realized I was knocked up, I decided right then and there that my baby deserved the name Shadynasty after her conception circumstances.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I like that idea Mrs. B. And if I follow that mom's logic, I should have named Ben, Drunksex. But I would pronounce it, Droonksay to give it a little flavor.
  • No cew.  Ben is fine, just so long as his middle name is Dover. 
  • That would work too.
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    Apparently, the mother was young and from a poorer area of NC. My friend is in residency, so she didn't ask the "meaning" of the name, but there are some other doozies. Such as L-ah (La Dasha) Female (pronounce it like tamale) and Urine ("your- IN- a"). Sometimes I think that dumb people should be sterilized.

Urine for President....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • H and I have come up with some really cruel names for our potential future accidents.  I don't know what we'll do if we ever do have an accident, though, because the cruel names are the only fun ones :)
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • This thread was a delight to read.  A delight.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:023ee5b2-7f0a-4d89-b46e-8ae6a4e0eff4">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apparently, the mother was young and from a poorer area of NC. My friend is in residency, so she didn't ask the "meaning" of the name, but there are some other doozies. Such as L-ah (La Dasha) Female (pronounce it like tamale) and Urine ("your- IN- a"). Sometimes I think that dumb people should be sterilized. Urine for President....
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

I know about L-a (pronounced LaDasha), but I refuse to believe that someone would name their child, Urine.  Although, Chlamydia is a real name.  Sad, but true.
  • In reference to women losing their identity once they have a child:

I was scrolling through my fb friends list the other night and I was thinking: when in the world did I become friends with so many damn toddlers????

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:023ee5b2-7f0a-4d89-b46e-8ae6a4e0eff4">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apparently, the mother was young and from a poorer area of NC. My friend is in residency, so she didn't ask the "meaning" of the name, but there are some other doozies. Such as L-ah (La Dasha) Female (pronounce it like tamale) and Urine ("your- IN- a"). Sometimes I think that dumb people should be sterilized. Urine for President....
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

You know what really burns my buns about those names?  The parents get all bent out of shape when people mispronounce their kids' wacked out names.  I'm sorry, I'm supposed to magically know how to pronounce the letters you threw together to make up a name?  No.

Classic example--I went to school with a girl who's name was Antares,  her parents mispronounced it (she was called An-TER-iss rather than An-TAR-ez).  And how do I know that this was an accident rather than an intentional mispronunciation?  Her middle name is Star.  Name fail.  She would get livid whenever teachers pronounced her name the correct way (or incorrect, I guess, depending on whom you ask).  She's in law school now.  I know it's not her fault that her parents are WT and gave her a bad and mispronounced name, but if I were her professors, I would have a very hard time taking her seriously as a law candidate.  And if my name were An-ter-iss Star, I'd get it changed, stat.
  • I still think La-a, Oranjello, Lemonjello, and Shithead are all Urban myths.
  • That's why, anytime I'm calling roll in a new classroom, I go by last name. Always. And ask every kid to pronounce their name, even if it's Bob. Ya just never know.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Heels - that is AWFUL.  FI hates hates hates his name and it's always mispronounced.  His family is Latvian and gave him a traditional name.   If we ever had a son, he does not want the name passed down. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I worked for a minute with someone named Candace.  Oh, you might think her name is prounounced CAN-DACE, like normal people would think, but no.  Her name is pronounced CAN-DAY-SEE. Seriously.  And  she would get PISSED if you pronounced it wrong (or right)!  Seriously?  Your name sucks - your mom probably hates you.
  • Shithead is not an urban legend.  We have a student in our school of Indian or Mideastern descent with this name.  It is pronounced Shi-THED

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:50bc458c-4e8f-4e43-9197-ea09d0ebbcf9">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shithead is not an urban legend.  We have a student in our school of Indian or Mideastern descent with this name.  It is pronounced Shi-THED
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Dear lord. Poor kid.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:50bc458c-4e8f-4e43-9197-ea09d0ebbcf9">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shithead is not an urban legend.  We have a student in our school of Indian or Mideastern descent with this name.  It is pronounced Shi-THED
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

I've also heard it prnounced, Shuh-Tead. 
  • I personally know a Minigah.  Pronounced My-nigah - as in no white person can actually say his name without getting punched for a racial slur. 
  • Surprised

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:bfa882ca-b2a5-4c3d-b339-0df876e26ad6">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally know a Minigah.  Pronounced My-nigah - as in no white person can actually say his name without getting punched for a racial slur. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

I DO NOT believe this.  No no no no no!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:231cf6a9-41e7-493a-bb6f-be2b43603296">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Momo : I DO NOT believe this.  No no no no no!
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

I know!  Who does that?  Seen it, heard it myself.  I couldn't have believed it was true otherwise. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:c55fa15c-c653-4117-978b-53547feb0706">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I still think La-a, Oranjello, Lemonjello, and Shithead are all Urban myths.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

nope. oranjello and lemonjello were twins 3 years behind me in school. the year behind my sister. i'll try to dig up an old yearbook and scan their pics/names later!
  • FI's Grandmothers last name is Lemonjello. No joke.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:98c8b032-8f9c-4613-a1be-829409cba834">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Momo : nope. oranjello and lemonjello were twins 3 years behind me in school. the year behind my sister. i'll try to dig up an old yearbook and scan their pics/names later!
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

We had a pair in my school too, but way after me.  My mom had one in class.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I called my friend, Urine and Female were both girls, born to non english speakers who thought that the hospital had named the children. One child had a urine test, and the other was, well female.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_momo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874649ef-ae18-4d0f-a5e4-ec55ce651fd8Post:4d3ce3b0-1555-44c7-8da7-05fff877f766">Re: Momo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen (saw?) Heaven Leigh. Its just too V.C. Andrews for me. Did anyone else ever feel kinda cheated as a kid if they couldn't find something with their name on it? (Like keychains, pencils, etc.) I never could and my name isn't that odd.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

YES. And my name was around 141 in popularity for girls' names the year I was born. It's not THAT odd or unusual. I think they only take the top 40 names and put them on that personalized stuff or something. (My name might be making a come back due to Grey's Anatomy. I think.)

My brother, on the other hand, had one fo the 5 most popular boys' names in the 1980s. He said it sucked to be one of 5 in the same class.

And Kevin Smith's daughter is named Harley Quinn.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I looked it up and apparently my name was ranked 142 the year I was born, yet for some reason no one can seem to understand how to spell it.

As for Kevin Smith's daughter, why am I not surprised?
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards