Snarky Brides
Options

Insulting things said by your family

2»

Re: Insulting things said by your family

• Options

Thanks Arizona! and yeah, that is really hurtful that she was so flippant over one of your goals.

Anna, that's really sad! :( 

• Options
    Things my mother's said about/to me:

"You do look just like your grandmother (her mother). But I have no idea where you got your nose, that must have come from your father's side."

To my brother about me: "I always thought you'd get married first. God knows you're more attractive than your sister." 

She's a peach.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_insulting-things-said-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6561abee-59af-4726-83b4-748b46baade2Post:5d34fb36-7ebd-48f7-a493-fbdbf44ea6e7">Re: Insulting things said by your family</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I are often sarcastic with each other, in good fun, and we have a lot of inside jokes. My mom told me, in front of FI when they met for the first time, that I needed to watch how I talked to him. She said she learned from my (butthead) stepfather that respect is the key to a healthy relationship, and a lady should always speak to her man with the utmost respect and reverence.  Um. Ok. And you married a diick, twice (I love my dad, though).  And Yay, Mom, for throwing me under a bus the first time you meet my then BF of 3 months...  <strong>This is why I think they love him more than me. </strong>
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel the same about my mother and my FI.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My mom always sighs and tells me she thought for sure I would have been famous or something... I am certainly not famous but I do have a masters degree, work in international security for our government, and have traveled the world. Apparently this is a disappointment...

She also incredulously tells me that she has two beautiful daughters who just can't seem to find a man and then there's me...getting married AGAIN to another great guy. She seriously has told me she just doesn't understand it.

Nice! Laughing
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_insulting-things-said-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6561abee-59af-4726-83b4-748b46baade2Post:1853cedb-4095-4c10-933e-227a06e7ea64">Re: Insulting things said by your family</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a job problem. Namely that the gourmet cooking classroom was 2 doors down and always asked me to come be their product tester. I'm sorry but I cannot turn down homemade cheesecake! I'll admit, I was very passive aggressive about it. Whenever we went out to eat with them I would take really tiny portions and if they asked why I wasn't eating go "Oh, I need to get back on track with my weight, no more food for me!" And <strong>S just fell backwards out of the computer chair while making fun of stupid people on tv. He goes "Well that's a winner for the Darwin Awa- AH!" Very nice.</strong>
    <p>Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]</p><p>haha!</p>
  • Options
    My mom always says "nice" things about me losing weight... I am finally happy with myself, eat well and go to the gym 4 days a week (well pre-wedding, the honeymoon killed my routine!). It always puts me in a crap mood.

They also constantly remind me of the crap I did as a teenager and that they didn't think I would live past 25.

But then we have the good times when they drunk dial me at 9:00 while biking home from dinner or we can just hang out chatting... I think families will always say sh!t that gets to us.
  • Options
    I could write an essay, but I will limit to recent incidents:

Mom: "What should I wear to your wedding? Like a gown?" (This is for an informal beach wedding)
    Me: "Just wear a nice cocktail dress."
    Mom: "Well the cocktail dress I buy could be much nicer than your wedding dress! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

When I asked her what she didn't like about the wedding gown I absolutely love and already purchased, she replies, "the black sash, the cut, the fit and the lace. I see what you were going for but I just don't like it" (Hmm, so pretty much everything then). 

And just last week my mom called me in the middle of the day at work and put me on speakerphone at her office so I could listen to one of her co-workers, who I've never met, berate my choice of honeymoon location for a full 20 minutes while the rest of her office ladies laughed hysterically in the background. 

Fun times.
  • Options

Jak, that's pretty horrible!

Can we see the dress?

• Options
    My stepdad and my step uncle used to call me miss piggy along with making pig noises when I was 10-12ish. Yeah, that doesn't have an effect on a young girl's self esteem at all. I wasn't even fat.
  • Options
    My FMIL told me that I had absolutely no pride in my home.  I was trying to juggle full time work and graduate school.  I was a little freaking busy.  She also thought that my FI and I should not get married because we have baggage.  She goes back and forth to saying she's excited about the wedding to she's not coming.  It is literally driving me nuts. 
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My mom loves to annoy the piss out of me.

My FI and I met at a gay bar, we still go there, and that's where we hangout with most of our friends. Well we were not able to invite hardly anyone from the bar, just the ones in the Wedding Party and the ex bar owners. Our guest list is at 150 with our families (not even all of our family members are included), and close family friends. In order to compromise and be able to still celebrate with all of our friends we opted to have an "after party" at the bar. My mother knows this, and she keeps trying to have the wedding start later and later. I keep telling her we need to leave the reception by around 9:30 in order to get to the bar in time. We compromised and have the wedding starting at 5:30 so the reception will start about 6:00. We are not having a formal dinner and there is no alcohol so we figured around 3 hours would be plenty of time and wouldn't seem like we were bailing on the reception. Well my mom calls and is once again trying to get me to change the time. I refuse, and then she says that is we start later and get to the bar later everything will still be ok. I then explain that we have to be there no later than 10:30 because of the drag show and we get to pick the performers for the night. Then there was dead silence for a bit and she says "are you sure you want that at your wedding" with the most hateful disapproving tone possible. I wanted to hang up in her face. I just said yes, I'm sure now I need to go.

I also get the usual quips about my weight....and the other day she even had the nerve to make a comment about she was planning on buying me all new make-up for my birthday. My birthday is 11 days before the wedding, and the undertone of the whole conversation and the comment was basically that my make-up is crap. I could understand this if I didn't wear any, or looked like I was wearing a mask or caked it on, but I know how to wear make-up. I also do not have bad skin, or really need make-up, but I wear it because there are a couple of things that annoy me, but others don't seem to notice like my red cheeks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The only instance of this that sticks out to me was when last year my father called me with the purpose of really giving me a piece of his mind. He was angry, drunk, most likely high as well but can't understand why I don't really want to keep in touch when he's always like that.

Anyway he called me one day and basically berated me for a good 10 mins before I finally hung up. I was told I was a fat, ugly bitch, a cvnt and that he hates me. Of course there was more, but I'm sure you get the gist. And then the kicker...that he's not really my father (which is not true but I guess somewhere in his brain he thought that I would consider that a bad thing).

So yeah, that was pretty insulting to say the least. And at this point, there's very little anyone can say to me that even comes close to that.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I'm 37 years old and when I told my grandpa that I was getting married (yes, this is my first and will be my only) his response was...gee I guess you're not going to end up an old maid after all.  My grandmother announced when I was 27 that I was officially an old maid.

One of my cousins said, hey I guess there is something to that whole 2012 deal.

And a couple of my uncles wanted to know where their invitations were because they wanted to witness "Hell freeze over"...

My mom likes to remind me how pretty I am, when I smile...

...nice
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_insulting-things-said-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6561abee-59af-4726-83b4-748b46baade2Post:d1826ed0-fcf7-4499-816f-60d78c380320">Re: Insulting things said by your family</a>:
    [QUOTE]My stepdad and my step uncle used to call me miss piggy along with making pig noises when I was 10-12ish. Yeah, that doesn't have an effect on a young girl's self esteem at all. I wasn't even fat.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

LOL...are we related?  My mom and dad did the same to me, started calling me miss piggy when I was about 10.  Yeah, talk about a fast track to an eating disorder! 
  • Options
    Since it was requested, here's a pic of the gown I bought

Maybe not the best for a beach wedding, but certainly good enough to wear to our hometown reception.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My boyfriend's step-father told him all the time growing up that there was no reason for him to go to school, that he was going to end up in a juvenile detention facility and then jail anyway so they might as well just drop him off right away and skip the hassle in between.  It took my boyfriend a VERY long time to get over that (and I still think is part of what drives him to succeed).

Same step-father said to his youngest daughter when she was 13 years old that the only thing she was good for in life was to become a trophy wife, so she should start thinking about fake tits and flirting with rich old men.

My grandmother says all sort of sh*t about my weight (I am a size 6, people, with a flat stomach!  Yes, I could be in better shape as I don't exercise much and like beer, but if I lost more than 25 pounds people would start to get worried about me!)  She does this backwards insult/compliments like, "It's so great you don't worry about looking fat."  or "They say curvy is sexy now a days, so it's a good thing you aren't thin."  But she's a nutball and we call her "bird bones" because she's so tiny (definite eating disorders and other issues), so I don't pay much attention.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_insulting-things-said-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6561abee-59af-4726-83b4-748b46baade2Post:c6511e17-0f75-4c4e-b50d-b54b3afc0945">Re: Insulting things said by your family</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since it was requested, here's a pic of the gown I bought Maybe not the best for a beach wedding, but certainly good enough to wear to our hometown reception.
    Posted by jaktom[/QUOTE]

I love your dress! I think it's perfect for your beach wedding :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    My Mom flat out told me on a regular basis when I was growing up, that I was a bitch.. Why, Mom? Because I'm doing YOUR job raising your kids and making sure there's food on the table, while you're sleeping off your last High?

My Grandfather told me I was too fat to eat cheese on my sandwich from the deli. I wanted ONE slice of Pepper Jack..

And most recently, my Dad told me that I'm trapped in my relationship with FI, because I only work Part-Time.. Umm, ya, but I'm also going back to school, so I can't work Full-Time. So, basically, I'm trapped in a bad relationship because I'm trying to further my Education, and FI is supporting me by working two jobs.. God, he's so horrible.
  • Options

DH and I have been TTC since April. A few months ago, when I was 4 days past ovulation and therefore possible conception (I chart), DH and I were joking around and figured out my sister's birthdate is 39 weeks and 5 days from my mom's. So I was on the phone with her telling her we'd discovered this and she misunderstood and though I was saying I was pregnant. She asked if I was pregnant and I said no and then clarified. When I was done, she said "oh good! I was so worried you were going to tell me you're pregnant." Jaw drop. Obviously I was upset, but I casually asked her why she said that and she proceeded to tell me she thinks we have all these things we need to do and we just don't need a baby right now.

I don't know if this counts as the kind of insulting thing you were thinking of, but I felt pretty insulted. I'm married, stable, and happy. There is no reason why my mother shouldn't think we're ready for a baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    I love my parents dearly, and they have both been so wonderful and supportive of me all these years, but I remember my mom saying to me after I busted my head open when I was 3 and had to have stitches, that I'd never be a model because I had a scar on my face. I don't think the scar is stopping me so much as the fact that I'm 5'2".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards