Options

Live fish

2»

Re: Live fish

• Options
    mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She doesn't have a choice in censoring it. For example, if I called someone a biitch, I have to add an extra i or TK won't let it post.

Same thing with as*s. It won't post otherwise.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_live-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8576454c-4251-46aa-b401-88419ad7c29dPost:34f5b438-2133-4760-8bdb-5eb6a73d8f9d">Re: Live fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. I still don't care if you don't like the idea. 2. It's still happening, whether you like it or not. 
    Posted by kelharrigan[/QUOTE]

<div>*stampy feet*</div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well obviously Im just going to spray paint the indigneous dish! :P Really though I have a year, I haven't researched all the fish in the canal yet. That's just a dream, albeit unrealistic I'm sure.

I didn't know this place censored stuff. I try to get my point across without resorting to low language. :P
  • Options
    KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, now I have to try ass without changing it, its not that I don't believe you, I just can't help doing it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, it's true and some people just aren't getting that! *stamps* *whiny voice* heh
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's fairly amusing when someone is so proud of their ignorance.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I find internet message boards where everyones so srs business amusing. :) Glad we're both having fun, doll. <3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_live-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8576454c-4251-46aa-b401-88419ad7c29dPost:15c9b1c3-63f9-4143-ba92-ef4a0414d752">Re: Live fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I seriously hope that none of the haters here are/did serve meat on their menu. If so, that would just be hilariously hypocritical. :) PS I'm going to be wearing a vintage mink stole over my dress on the boat. Hahah.
    Posted by kelharrigan[/QUOTE]

Besides being offensive, a mink stole is so tacky and out dated.
  • Options
    JoyTate1JoyTate1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom went to her cousin's wedding and she had fish as her centerpieces. My mom thought that they looked amazing. If you want I can ask my mom if she knows what happened to the fish.

I would just be careful about the type of fish you put into the canal. If they are native fish it shouldn't cause an issue, but I would be worried about an invasive species.
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were going to do this...but seriously, aftet everyones input, there is really no reason to do it. Spending that money and then trying to find someone to take them home....not many people will want them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_live-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8576454c-4251-46aa-b401-88419ad7c29dPost:690c73ad-9322-4bf7-882b-751b03cba492">Re: Live fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, if you don't care about the fish after the fact, how about the fact that blue and yellow fish in bowls on your table will all die by the time you get your poofy white princessy butt into the door?  Might ruin the decor a bit, I'd reckon. You see, brightly colored fish are, for the most part salt water fish.  You have to have pumps to keep the water circulating in order to maintain a salt water climate, unless you have a fully self-functioning aquarium with coral and the like to do the job for you. I doubt you'll listen to even this bit of reason, but I do hope and pray you'll come back and post pics of your awesome classy dead fish centerpieces after the wedding. Happy planning.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!! I hope the photographer gets plenty of photos of the tables with the dead fish centerpieces. Dead fish are always so classy. I would really enjoy eating my meal looking at fish that were either dead or soon to be dead.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pleanty of brides use fish. Give em away to the kids!
  • Options
    Belle2BeBelle2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dead fish are the latest trend! Right there next to bridal diapers and "retail" weddings.

OP, its not going to happen. Even if you're having a $$$$$ wedding, its just a stupid, tasteless idea. Try focusing on something bigger than yourself, like, you know, the Earth. It's kinda a big deal, and even if you don't think it is, it doesn't make it any less true.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I find absolutely rude that no one can express their point of view without being offensive, and Peachy, were you having a bridezilla moment when you posted? uncensored or not it is still pretty ordinary to call her names in order to make your point. Cruel or not, sounds hypocrite if you are not a vegetarian or you never wore leather anything. Advocates for don't kill the fish support groups should have a group here. How many of you will have kids and buy them fish as their first pet even knowing most likely it will die??  If you really want to lead by example, serve veggetarian buffet to save 3 cows or 30 chickens.  Here is a piece of knowledge incase you care: http://cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm 
    As for the lady who happen to post to ask opinion about her live fish idea, I have seen it at weddings a couple of times, people generally loved it and they even fought over taking it home. Now, I was a bridesmaid in one of the weddings (my cousins) and I have to say it was a real challenge to transport them to the place, make sure they were clean from the night before and the next morning and to have "back up" incase some die - fish get stressed out! - out of 20 tables, 7 needed new fish. Also, how many tables do you have? the less, the better. I like the first come first serve idea. My parents kept theirs alive for 8 months and the aquatic plant that was there is still alive after 5 years, so it was a great keepsake. Make sure you have instructions on how to take care of it and the fish food in mini bags available for the people taking it home.
    It's your wedding and if you find it as a great idea then go for it. Ok the kitties glued on mirror works too!
    "Life is like chinese fast food, between sweet and sour and with a little twist of pineapple"
  • Options
    hparker3hparker3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I catered a wedding that had fish bowls on the table, one fish for all the bowls and two fish in the bride and groom's bowl.  They were simple gold fish and the kids took them home, I didn't see any left behind.. I'd assume that those with kids didn't stay long for the dance, but if they did I'd be more worried about broken glass or knocked over dishes during the dance.. it's an extra clean up... And i'm hoping the guests didn't have a bumpy ride home as the bowls didn't have lids on it!  Honestly, it's a cute idea, but the fish were weird on the table -- and I was only helping with the catering.. maybe it was the tacky gold fish.... a beta may have added more elegance.. 
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, all the fun happens while the mod is on vacation!

OP- I am the last person you would see doing anything for animal rights and about PETA.  You are misunderstanding the point PPs are making.  This has nothing to do with people and vegetarianism and the way they live their lives. It is people stating the FACTS about what you are choosing to use as your centerpieces. 

Yes, this is your wedding and you and your FI are ultimately the ones who make the final decisions. But your reception is also about your guests.  Have you ever thought that maybe a guest of yours is an Ichthyophobic?  It is more common than you may think.  Then what are you going to do?  Are you going to try to call them out just as you did to many of the PPs on here because of their opinions or fears?  (and please don't wikipedia this)

You may think your guests have class, but I am willing to bet (not that you would admit if it happened) that at least one of your guests is going to do something stupid to at least one bowl of the fish.  Beta like to fight, and I have seen people tap the glass just to see the fish charge it.  I have also seen people pour one with the other and watch them fight, or just place 2 bowls next to each other just to see what they do.  You may also have salt/pepper shakers on your table and someone may choose to be a jackass just to see what happens- or sugar.  I hope you are seeing my point here.

No one was trying to be rude or biitchy or catty towards you.  They were simply stating the facts and opinions on your idea.

dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that you don't care about the facts on this one but...

Releasing a "native species" into a body of water is not ecologically sound.  Although the species may already exist in that body of water, and is therefore, not an invasive species, there are 2 primary concerns if the fish were not actually harvested from that body of water

(1) If the fish are carrying any diseases they will pass them to the fish in that body of water.  Those fish may not have the immunity to those diseases that the fish you released may have.

(2) Orgnaisms tend to have the traits that allow them to best survive in their environment.  By introducing fish from a different area, you are introducing new genes which could have a negative impact on the population.

I don't think that I've been catty or rude, I have simply stated biological facts and made suggestions on how you could use fish and keep them healthy.  I am by no means a member of PETA, I do eat meat... I also draw the line between "pets" and food.  You can let the fish loose if it is your choice.  However, I believe you should have all of the information before you make your decision.

And just a side note... fish do carry diseases (including salmonella http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/animals/aquarium.htm ) that can be transmitted to humans... a dinner table is not the best place for them...
  • Options
    Cameron2011Cameron2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for our wedding since my fiance and I met online on "Plenty of Fish". We thought it would symbolize how we came together.
    I was thinking the game at first too but then i got the same questions" what if that person doesn't want it?" so I figure whoever wants them can have them, and my SIL is taking the rest home. but I also will only have maybe 8 fish at the most, so it's not like if no one wants them i'm left over with thirty fish.

• Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_live-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8576454c-4251-46aa-b401-88419ad7c29dPost:e475a8be-5be5-4baf-b8ce-e3c758e3a1d7">Re: Live fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of doing the same thing for our wedding since my fiance and I met online on "Plenty of Fish". We thought it would symbolize how we came together. I was thinking the game at first too but then i got the same questions" what if that person doesn't want it?" so I figure whoever wants them can have them, and my SIL is taking the rest home. but I also will only have maybe 8 fish at the most, so it's not like if no one wants them i'm left over with thirty fish.
    Posted by Cameron2011[/QUOTE]

Did you read NOTHING in the 50 other posts that said DON'T DO IT!?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Belle2BeBelle2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_live-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:8576454c-4251-46aa-b401-88419ad7c29dPost:e475a8be-5be5-4baf-b8ce-e3c758e3a1d7">Re: Live fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of doing the same thing for our wedding since my fiance and I met online on "Plenty of Fish". We thought it would symbolize how we came together. I was thinking the game at first too but then i got the same questions" what if that person doesn't want it?" so I figure whoever wants them can have them, and my SIL is taking the rest home. but I also will only have maybe 8 fish at the most, so it's not like if no one wants them i'm left over with thirty fish.
    Posted by Cameron2011[/QUOTE]

So whats the symbolism when your fish DIE.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards