Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Martha's Vineyard - Budget Wedding ideas

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are looking for creative way to save money with our vineyard wedding...

venue
photography
catering
flowers
music
etc.

any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated

We're looking to have the wedding in the spring of 2012

Re: Martha's Vineyard - Budget Wedding ideas

• edited December 2011
    move it to Falmouth... the Vineyard is eeeexxxxppppeeeenisve any way you look at it. 

If not check out VRBO for a rental house you can do it out of and hpe for the best... but it's not going to be cheap.
  • shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nancy's in Oak Bluffs will do private parties upstairs and they do an amazing job! 
    You could also rent a big house that would allow you to place a tent on the property.
    Keep the guest list small and you should be able to do it. Fridays & Sundays are always a good bet to save money with the venue & vendors.
    Try getting in touch with Jill Korchin of plan on forever, she is familiar with planning weddings on the Vineyard. www.[email protected]
    Congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    Our photographers were from NY, and they weren't cheap, but we did save a little money because they have a place to stay on the vineyard so they didn't charge travel fees, and we didn't have to pay sales tax because we weren't in NY. Check them out if you're interested - www.scottkretschmann.com
  • winterclassicwinterclassic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our photographer shoots regularly on nanatucket and the vineyard. her name is heather parker and her company is simply heather parker photography. not sure if spring is considered off season still but you can always ask them for a discount. i would certainly look into VRBO but make sure you get the required permits to hold an event, including permits for parking if it is required in the neighborhood.
  • FRUIT27FRUIT27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rings - Overstock

Invites - Wedding Paper Divas (no RSVP cards; just made a plain sticker for the back of the card that said Repndez, S'il Vous Plait and our address, phones and emails - fun way to get messages from people!)

Photo _Judy Sargent Photography - meet her; her energy is amazing! You'll love her; very talented; very professional.  Abou $2K to $3K depending on what you want

Borrowed a friend's friend's dress (look at FB pics!)

Shoes - DSW

Venue is the most costly; we are getting married at the same place as reception; no limo/cars/transportation. Not doing a program. Saves on stress!!

Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Have a small wedding. Most brides spend 50% or more of their budget on venue, food and booze. Cutting the guest list is a number one cost saver.

The Sound Choice DJ did my wedding and they were amazing and one of the least expensive DJs on the Vineyard.
  • winterclassicwinterclassic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also used wedding paper divas for paper goods. have you considered using an ipod instead of a DJ and renting the PA speakers?
  • lsnicks19lsnicks19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using the sound choice too! We tried to go as budget as possible...but the #s kept growing. As far as vendors go...we are getting married at the Sailing Camp, used Morrice the Florist in Tisbury, Sweet E's cupcakes instead of cake, Tea Lane catering & rentals from Tilton. 41 days to go!!!!
  • HI!
    we are renting a house on the water for very reasonable $, we are having a family friend officiate, and bringing our cake and booze from off island............. try finding photographer on the cheap and consider having them give you all the disks instead of prints and do the touch ups and prints and album yourself........... Nothing comes cheap on the island, but it will be worth every penny
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_marthas-vineyard-budget-wedding-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:93db9075-6a8b-4c8d-953d-2316ccee53f5Post:8349f38f-27f3-4d52-b850-f18623c5db39">Re: Martha's Vineyard - Budget Wedding ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI! we are renting a house on the water for very reasonable $, we are having a family friend officiate, and bringing our cake and booze from off island............. try finding photographer on the cheap and consider having them give you all the disks instead of prints and do the touch ups and prints and album yourself........... Nothing comes cheap on the island, but it will be worth every penny
    Posted by caitgk88[/QUOTE]

Could you tell how you found the house rental on the water? Did you have to book for 7 days? I'm just starting my search and I think this might be a good option, since it allows you to bring a lot of the expensive things (booze etc) from off the island.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_marthas-vineyard-budget-wedding-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:93db9075-6a8b-4c8d-953d-2316ccee53f5Post:c23e12f9-8445-4b42-8433-bf0cedffe8de">Re: Martha's Vineyard - Budget Wedding ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Martha's Vineyard - Budget Wedding ideas : Could you tell how you found the house rental on the water? Did you have to book for 7 days? I'm just starting my search and I think this might be a good option, since it allows you to bring a lot of the expensive things (booze etc) from off the island.
    Posted by Brodsterd88[/QUOTE]

Check out leddenproperties.com (its my dad - he's really good) I just started planning my wedding on the Vineyard as well and its going to be a lot of house rentals (avail for the guests too since we're bi-coastal). Best of luck!!
  • Thank for all the great ideas! My fiance and I are getting vey excited about a marthas vinyard wedding and are on a tight budget.  We will be getting married next summer -- Can anyone help me out on a time line for booking things? How far ahead of time shoudl be have a house lined up? 
    Sarah & Nathan
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards