Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Freezing the Top Tier? Are you doing it?

So, my FI and I are planning on freezing the top layer of our wedding cake to eat on our anniversary. Is anyone else planning on doing this, has done this or know someone who has? Can you get sick by eating old cake? Will it taste ok? Thanks a bunch!
"Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Freezing the Top Tier? Are you doing it?

• We did.  The caterer gave it to us on a plate sort balanced in a couple of a to go boxes.

We put it in our chest freezer just like that and then the next after it was frozen solid, we wrapped it in 3 layers of plastic wrap and one of tin foil - all on the recommendation of our caterer.

The fun part will be remembering to eat it next year.

• We aren't- I mean it's not going to taste good. We are going to buy the same cake from publix(they're doing our cake) they always have it in the bakery case(the small version) and we will eat a yummy fresh cake :)
  • This reminds me of a funny story about my parents wedding.  They put their top tier in the freezer at my grandparents house after their wedding to save (my mom was still living there).  The day after the wedding my grandma has friends over and she served the cake!  My mom was so mad at her!! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We ate ours a couple months after the wedding.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • My friends did this and said that it aggravated them to no end, having it take up space in their small freezer.  When they finally ate it, they said that it was edible but freezer burned.  They've strongly recommended that we just get a copy on our anniversary instead of saving the top.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We froze ours in my parents' deep freezer. My mom wrapped it in one million alternating layers of saran and foil. One year later it was still tasty!
  • We didn't have any cake left after the wedding! It was that delicious. I'm not really worried about it, since it's an old fertility ritual, and i'm not looking for babies, lol.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• We're getting married in CA, and we live on the east coast so I think probably we will skip this tradition ;) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • after you wrap it up really good put it in a paper bag and in a cardboard box
  • We did not do this, but that is because we get a free cake from our bakery on our one year anniversary!  I have had some friends do it and say that it still tasted good, while others didn't care for it.
  • edited October 2012

We are cutting a Fudgie the Whale cake by Carvel at the wedding.  On our anniversary, we'll just get a new one.

Friends that have done this had mixed thoughts afterwards.  They liked the idea behind it but the space it took up was a hassle, and you do have to wrap it well for it not to be freezer burned.
  • Our top tier is sitting in MIL's freezer. I keep reminding her I'd like it so I could wrap it up properly, but now that it's been 2+ months, I've sort of given up. Hopefully no one there has eaten it (I'll be ticked if they have - I didn't get ANY cake the day of the wedding).

• We did not, but I know people who have.  I don't know anyone who has gotten sick from it. 
  • My ex and I saved ours. On our first anniversary, we each took a couple of bites for tradition's sake and threw the rest out. It wasn't very good so we may not have had it wrapped properly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I did.  Our top tier was chocolate caramel turtle and since I didn't get a piece of that from the bottom layer, I wanted one on our anniversary.  I wrapped that sucker like it was gold in Fort Knox.  In all honesty, it tasted great, but. like I said, I wrapped the crap out of it.

I froze the cake on a cookie sheet for a few hours so the frosting would be set.  Then I wrapped the cake in a bunch of layers of saran wrap.  Then...heavy duty foil.  
  • Our top layer was cheesecake (I don't like cake), so we didn't save it.  Our 1 year anniversary is in 2 weeks though so we'll probably just get cheesecake for dessert at wherever we decide to go to dinner.
    Anniversary
  • We did and ours tasted almost as good as our wedding day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • yep we'll be doing it since its good luck.
  • I mentioned this tradition to him last night, and he looked at me like I'm crazy. He asked, "Are you serious?" His younger sisters both laughed - one because she agreed with him (she's 13) and the other because she thought it was funny he didn't know about the tradition (she's 16). I think I've convinced him to it, on the condition we get to take two slices of cake with us to our hotel room to eat as a midnight snack after the reception!
  • I am having mixed feeling about this, I heard not to because it cant be good for you. That instead take a pic and have the same company remake one for you a year later. And this advise came from my dad who has been a manager of a bakery for 20 + years. However I heard from numerous other people that its fine as long as you wrap it correctly. I guess I am leaning towards just listening to my dad, because i have had food poisoning before and dont want it again. Not because my dad who thinks he is always right, sometimes he isnt lol
  • There is no way we will have room in our freezer.

We will just get a mini cake from the baker next year
  • We ate all of our leftover cake within a week of getting back from our honeymoon. Freezer space is precious!
  • We aren't, simply because we don't have room in our freezer and I know FI would get into it long before our anniversary.

Since we're serving cupcakes at our wedding, we'll probably ask Sprinkles if they can make us a little "wedding cupcake" with white frosting and some basic decoration (like those little candy pearls) and split it after our anniversary dinner.
  • There was a little bit of miscommunication between me, the coordinator, and our baker, so there wasn't any cake saved (there was BARELY any leftover IIRC). I really wasn't that disappointed, as we will probably just buy a cake on our one year anniversary.
  • We're eating our cake little by little. We were given the top layer as well as ALL the leftover cake, which was quite a bit. We haven't touched the top tier yet, but we also haven't wrapped it properly. I guess I should do that soon if we want to have any hope of eating it on our anniversary.

My friend got married in May 2011 and they saved the top layer of their cake, then they lost power for two weeks during Hurricane Irene in August. By the time they remembered the cake was in the freezer and thought to bring it to a friend's house, it was too late. They ended up just ordering a small cake from the same bakery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our baker will make us a cake like our top tier on our first anniversary.  It'll be the same flavor and filling, just no designs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • We did not. We froze a few slices, but ate it within a few months. Year old cake didn't sound that appealing.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • The company doing our cake suggests not to do the freezing thing, so she will will be providing a complimentary small cake for us on our 1st anniversary.  Not the tradition, but my friend did this too (she recommended the bakery; and the cake was delicious at her wedding!)  So i'm all for it.

Anniversary
  • So we froze the top tier that our venue gave us. It turned out, our venue accidentally boxed up the top tier from the cake from another wedding that took place there that weekend for us. We sealed the box up in a couple of zip lock bags, and per the advice of our DOC, about a week before our anniversary, we put it in the fridge for a few days, and then left it on the counter for another couple of days to let it completely thaw out.

The tier we received was chocolate with raspberry ... I don't eat raspberry filling, so I just picked at the chocolate part (We figured eating a frozen tier on our anniversary had to count for something, right? Lol). Aside from it being a little dried out, it wasn't that bad.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• We did--and ate it just last week!  The flavor was still fine, but when the fresh strawberry filling thawed, it made the bottom layer soggy.  Definitely wasn't dry, or flavorless, or disgusting in any way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards