Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Rehearsal dinner idea/menu

Well it's not really a rehearsal dinner since there's no rehearsal and a only FI, myself and a BM & MOH as a wedding party but we would like to have a more relaxed get to know everyone dinner for our immediate family, most closest friends and OOT guests especially since it looks like the wedding itself is going to be less intimate than we had originally planned. I really like the idea of a more interactive meal rather than just an entree placed in font of you. So there is the amazing Greek restaurant that has a fun family like atmosphere. Nothing fancy checked tablecloths, paper placemat, pitchers of soda. Every time we go there's always several big groups just having a blast. The staff treats everyone like family plus the food is spectacular. 

We where thinking of doing a Family Style dinner for about 25-30, so on table wold be different platters of foods to be passed and shared.

I was thinking along the lines of a make your own pita sandwiches
Greek Salad (side)
Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves (appetizer) 
Dips & spreads: Hummus - chickpea, Tzatziki - yogurt an cucumber, Melintsanosalata - eggplant, Skordalia - potato and garlic (appetizer and accompaniment)
Assorted Souvklaki: Grilled Lamb, chicken, beef, pork and swordfish skewers (main)
Grilled vegetables (main and side) 
Falafels - fried chickpea fritters (main)
Pitas, Olives, Feta Cheese, Red Onions, Tomatoes, Lettce, Cucumbers(accompaniment)

Or I cold add the following and make it more entree based.
Tropita - cheese & filo triangles (appetizer)
Spanakopita - spinach & filo triangles (appetizer)
Olives (appetizer)
Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves (appetizer)
Falafels - fried chickpea fritters (appetizer)
Dips & spreads with pitas: Hummus - chickpea, Tzatziki - yogurt an cucumber, Melintsanosalata - eggplant, Skordalia - potato and garlic (appetizer)
Assorted Souvklaki: Grilled Lamb, chicken, beef, pork and swordfish skewers (main)
(main)
Moussaka - Eggplant and potato, chopped meat with cream sauce (main)
Pastichio - Eggplant and potato, chopped meat with cream sauce (main)
Vegetarian Moussaka/pastichio (main)
Rice pilaf (side)
Grilled vegetables (side)
Greek Salad (side)

Kids could choose chicken fingers and french fries or a pita pizza instead if they want.

Beer, Wine, Ouzo, soda, tea & coffee to drink
Assorted greek pastries & desserts
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal dinner idea/menu

• Options
    Where is the option for I'm-trying-not-to-drool-all-over-my-keyboard-because-both-options-sound-amazing?  Maybe that's not very helpful, but they both sound really, really good.  I finally voted for the second, just because several of the additional items are particular favorites of mine.
  • Options
    I think you would be fine with the first, because it sounds like a whole lot of food, especially when you add in dessert. 

However, Greek food is amazing and you can't really serve too many options. It absolutely sounds delish.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_rehearsal-dinner-ideamenu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6db455c8-d1f9-4306-8c7f-d8139294c301Post:4fe47dd6-00f0-453f-ae93-5d5693580d58">Re: Rehearsal dinner idea/menu</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where is the option for I'm-trying-not-to-drool-all-over-my-keyboard-because-both-options-sound-amazing?  Maybe that's not very helpful, but they both sound really, really good.  I finally voted for the second, just because several of the additional items are particular favorites of mine.
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]
    Like seriously. I want to come!! I don't think you can go wrong with either option, food-wise. I'd personally be a bit concerned about the messiness of making your own pita. If you overstuff, it can start to get messy. Obviously people should be grown enough to not make a mess, but I just personally would prefer the 2nd option because it seems like it would lean more on the neat side. The.food.sounds.awesome! 
  • Options
    OMFG! Love!  Sorry. I am no help at all. 

• Options
    I want to come too!  Send us the leftovers! LOL

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I need Rehearsal dinner ideas...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards