Catholic Weddings

Creighton question :)

You Creighton girls are going to get sick of me, lol.  I have talked to my instructor about this a little, and will talk to my Creighton doctor when I see her in a couple weeks, but I want to know your perspective/experience/advice on this:

I don't feel like I'm ever "post-peak" in terms of the "rules."  Because I have easily 3-4 "peaks" in a cycle, I can't ever feel confident saying "okay, I already ovulated" since I never feel more "ovulatory" about one peak over another.   I also don't have consistent dryness after peak, but am not using yellow stickers yet.  I started my period today, for example, and had what 8C (tacky cloudy, right?) yesterday.  Honestly, I'm not convinced I actually ovulated in this cycle, since I never have more than one day of peak-type mucus in a row.  I usually get through the entire count of three before I "peak" again.  My chart has been a multi-peak chart 2 cycles in a row now.

Has anyone ever experienced this?  What kind of advice do you have?  How can I know when it's okay to follow post-peak rules (like, all day instead of end of day only, etc)?  I just like to hear the feedback of others because I think more exposure helps me absorb the information better.  Hearing 3 people tell me the same thing just makes it sink in, you know?  The wedding is coming up, and I'm getting a little nervous about actually incorporating the rules in a practical sense!

Re: Creighton question :)

• Aw I wish I could help!  I haven't had that come up in my chart, so unfortunately I have nothing to offer in terms of advice - but I'm definitely sending thoughts and prayers your way that you'll get it all figured out!
  • It sounds like you have the "extra" cm and will be using yellow stickers soon. First, its quite possible to have peak type mucous immediately before the period. 

Try a couple things:   no dryer sheets, different detergent, and keeping the room completely black when you sleep (no computer lights, no outdoor lighting at all). 

When you start to use yellow stickers (maybe before), you learn the "point of change". When the regular "gummy (creighton word-- like airplane glue) changes to fertile type. Sometimes you do a second finger test for stretchiness. 

Also, I had a cervical eversion--- had a "cryo" procedure done that fixed a lot of the extra stuff. 
  • I've definitely got the same problem with really inconsistent CM leading up to ovulation.  Usually I get a horrendous tension headache for 2-3 days around the time I ovulate (ironic, no?), so that was the dead giveaway for me.  My husband and I are in TTC mode, now, though... so aren't as worried about avoiding anymore which we had to do a lot more of than someone with a normal cycle does.  We might start getting worried if we have trouble conceiving though...  

My instructor didn't think my cycles merited yellow stickers (I do have plenty of "2" and "4" days pre and post peak), but I do get a lot of really ridiculously long cycles if I'm bad about taking metformin for my PCOS (and eating healthily, taking my vitamins, etc).  We waited until I had two dry days after the +3 day.  My sister uses Creighton and does have to use yellow stickers, though... so maybe weird cycles are genetic!

I've found Marilyn Shannon's "Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition" to be super informative and she recommends ensuring proper nutrition and physical health as a baseline before medicating to fix any cycle issues... so that may be a worthwhile read for you, too!  I'm really lazy about the whole "fixing my diet" thing and exercising more... so I need to get on that soon!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_creighton-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7e6f8a68-ab52-48e5-a7ce-6f199136f58bPost:787e794c-295f-427f-96dd-67223cd03df4">Re: Creighton question :)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Try a couple things:   no dryer sheets, different detergent, and <strong>keeping the room completely black when you sleep (no computer lights, no outdoor lighting at all). </strong>
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

(You know I have to jump in on any NFP discussion ;P) Just wanted to say (re: the bolded) this is a really neat thing that I learned about during my teacher training. Research has shown that having too much (any) light while you're sleeping can raise your estrogen levels which can cause extra mucus and perhaps some other issues, too. AND, if you can't keep the lights down, you can get a sleep-mask instead. It really just needs to be your eyes that are in complete darkness. I know I've been far more conscious of our bedroom lighling since learning this.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• The thing I find weird, and maybe it's not, is that I never have peak-type mucus two days in a row.  In fact, I usually don't have mucus two days in a row at a all, peak or non.  I think that's why it's hard for me to say "yeah, that's ovulation" and consider myself post-peak.  Hopefully my Creighton doctor that I'm seeing in a couple weeks will have some advice.  I really hope she's not the type who tries to rush you out, you know?

• It could be that you haven't ovulated yet, and this is an annovulatory cycle.  Do you normally have long/weird cycles.  One thing I know that helps me (I just started creighton too)  Is to recognized symptoms, if you ever have any, post peak.  Like for me my boobs always get sore, that tells me for sure.  I had a double peak this cycle and I knew I hadn't O'd the first time because my boobs weren't sore.  Anyway, I'm praying that you, your instructor and doctor can figure out what is going on.  Good Luck! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've only had 2 cycles on Creighton.  I had about 4 on CCL NFP.  I never could pinpoint ovulation with CCL, but my Creighton instructor said I ovulated last month and that I've ovulated this month.  I always have crazy cycles.  I have cramping throughout my cycle, and I have cystic breasts, so they're almost always sore lol, so that doesn't help me pinpoint it either!

• Dang!  Well good luck either way and you are in my prayers.\!  Also, were you able to see a temperature shift with CCL
  • Nope, no temp shift!

• I'm sorry Resa!  Well I really hope your doc is able to figure something out!
  • Thanks Shawna, and everyone!  It's good to have support.  It can be really hard when almost all your friends are on ABC....I can't go to them for support because they'll just say "see, this is why BC is wonderful."  And all my friends who use NFP are the types with totally easy, normal cycles.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_creighton-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7e6f8a68-ab52-48e5-a7ce-6f199136f58bPost:787e794c-295f-427f-96dd-67223cd03df4">Re: Creighton question :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like you have the "extra" cm and will be using yellow stickers soon. First, its quite possible to have peak type mucous immediately before the period.  Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

I don't want to threadjack, but I have a quick question about this part. If you have peak type CM right before your period, you would not consider that to be fertile mucus, right? Like, you would still consider yourself in phase 3, headed for phase 1? Or, if you are TTA, would you have to abstain if you see this?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_creighton-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7e6f8a68-ab52-48e5-a7ce-6f199136f58bPost:4f0ea8b2-606c-4b2a-b151-db30b378ce29">Re: Creighton question :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Creighton question :) : I don't want to threadjack, but I have a quick question about this part. If you have peak type CM right before your period, you would not consider that to be fertile mucus, right? Like, you would still consider yourself in phase 3, headed for phase 1? Or, if you are TTA, would you have to abstain if you see this?
    Posted by emwalsh1[/QUOTE]

If you are sure that you already ovulated then you would still consider yourself to be in phase 3 if you notice peak type CM right before your period. I remember reading in TCOYF that when the lining of your uterus first starts to shed it can appear kind of watery and be mistaken for peak CM before your period starts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_creighton-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7e6f8a68-ab52-48e5-a7ce-6f199136f58bPost:50c5ca42-fca2-41c4-8637-cdd180f76f36">Re: Creighton question :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Creighton question :) : If you are sure that you already ovulated then you would still consider yourself to be in phase 3 if you notice peak type CM right before your period. I remember reading in TCOYF that when the lining of your uterus first starts to shed it can appear kind of watery and be mistaken for peak CM before your period starts.
    Posted by Tami87[/QUOTE]

<div>This is NOT creighton rules. Creighton does not use the term "phase 3".</div><div><div>
    </div><div>If one is avoiding pregnancy and they observe peak type mucous, they abstain, no matter where it is in the cycle. </div></div><div>
    </div>
  • I apologize in advance if I've already said this in other threads, but Resa, if I were you, then I would totally keep on temping, even with using Creighton. 

If you never see a temp shift, then... you're obviously not ovulating! Your Creighton instructor should be made aware of the disconnect between peak-type-of-mucus days and the pure fact of your body not having released hormones that show you've ovulated and therefore raise your temperature.

I'm praying for your Creighton doctor's appointment! I hope you have a great experience and that the doctor is able to figure out why you aren't ovulating!
    Anniversary
  • [QUOTE]If one is avoiding pregnancy and they observe peak type mucous, they abstain, no matter where it is in the cycle. 
    This is one of the things that I do not understand about Creighton. <div>Doesn't Creighton have "rules" for saying when you've ovulated? (CM buildup, then a certain number of days of peak CM or something?) </div><div>Other than a second egg being released (within 24 hours) of the first, you CANNOT ovulate more than once in a cycle. So once you know you've ovulated, then why do you care what kind of CM you see? If you're TTA, then you're not going to get pregnant! </div><div>
    </div><div>That was my main question, but side-tracking a bit more-- </div><div>The only reason I can think of for why Creighton would not have a "phase 3" type designation would be b/c the method itself cannot PROVE with 100% certainty that you have ovulated. If it is possible to have CM buildup and NOT have ovulated...then why wouldn't everyone track their temps to know for *sure* when they ovulated? </div><div>
    </div>
    Anniversary
  • Creighton does not use the same terminology, and no, you're off on "why " it doesn't use the same terminology. There is no method that has 100% certainty of ovulation. Temps can be off too.  Why you do care about what kind of cm you see, no matter when in the cycle is because it gives inside into health issues. 

There is pre- peak and post peak phase. There are questions to ask when reaching peak that determine whether ovulation has occurred. As I said, Even if ovulation is thought to have occured, if there is peak type mucous present, the day is avoided. Perhaps something else goes wrong-- a period is so light its missed, or low progesterone, or something else. I don't know all the reasons, but the observation of

This is why I really don't like more detailed advice about methods given here-- especially with Creighton, because instruction is meant to come from a certified teacher, and crossing methods can be very "dangerous". It's different terminology, different philosphy, different rules with standardized teaching that is meant to go in a certain order. Mixing rules between methods is not a good idea. 
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_creighton-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7e6f8a68-ab52-48e5-a7ce-6f199136f58bPost:49444609-891e-4de4-9ea4-0340fccd212b">Re: Creighton question :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Creighton question :) : This is NOT creighton rules. Creighton does not use the term "phase 3". If one is avoiding pregnancy and they observe peak type mucous, they abstain, no matter where it is in the cycle. 

Thank you for clarifying. I realize that the advice I gave is based off TCOYF and sympto-thermal method. Since the person who asked the question said something about phase 3 I assumed that it was a general NFP question instead of specifically Creighton, but considering this is a Creighton thread I should have been more clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards