Catholic Weddings

What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)

2»

Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The hand holding thing has technically never been "allowed". Families start doing it, then others join in. Some parishes may be using this changeover time to correct more things. Lots of parishes will probably leave it alone until/unless a directive comes from Rome.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, keeping in mind this is for teenagers, I found it extremely simple and easy to follow explanation of the changes and why.

http://vimeo.com/25418957
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Docta what a great idea!!! Also good luck tomorrow! :o)

My Grandmother passed on Sunday and it was really hard because she didn't have faith...so I've been praying for her a lot lately
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Great thread!

A friend posted this article on FB that explained some of the mass changes to me pretty well.  Maybe it'll make sense to others.

I'm a huggy person and enjoy the sign of peace, but I never liked the hand holding.  The sign of peace is when we unite with our neighbors, not the our father.  Hand holding during the our father kinda takes away from the impact of the sign of peace.

As for what's on my mind--not much.  Such a lazy summer.  Gotta get going on my masters thesis but it's so hard to find the motivation.  The Knot doesn't help :)

@ Shawna--sorry about your grandmother!  I know it can be really hurtful when the person wasn't a believer.  But our prayers are efficacious--so keep praying!  I'll pray too.  God's mercy is unimaginable to us.

SaveSave
  • edited December 2011
    I'm really excited for the changes. I hope it will foster an environment of learning and reawakening of faith. But there is also a selfish reason, too - I haven't yet 100% memorized what we do/say in mass and now I won't feel like the only one who still has to follow in the book. ETA: hit the button before I was done! As for what's on my mind.... Meg - I have to give you a congrats shout out on this board, too :) Shawna - I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I know how you feel. My uncle is extremely sick right now and he doesn't have faith. I have been praying for his returned health and that he opens his eyes to God. It's been weighing on my heart.
  • edited December 2011
    I start teaching training next week, and the week after I begin teaching for the first time ever.  I'll be in charge of one section of first semester Italian, and I really wish they had at least given me my first teaching assignment in my native language. *sigh*  Anyway, anxiety over the whole molding young minds thing is what's on my mind, and the pressing desire to review five years' worth of language study, even though I know it won't help me any.  I've prayed almost every day for the past month that God doesn't let me harm these students' chances of becoming fully fluent in this language.  My patron saint, Catherine of Alexandria, has been getting an earful too.
    After five years he finally asked! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers imageVisit The Nest!
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Hellokitty--where are you teaching?  Highschool?  Public or private?  Just curious.

I'm sure you'll do fine!  I know all beginning teachers are scared.  I'm not even on the job market yet for teaching and the thought already terrifies me.  

SaveSave
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:978fc5ae-e255-49aa-bdd8-a71c6eee344b">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I start teaching training next week, and the week after I begin teaching for the first time ever.  I'll be in charge of one section of first semester Italian, and I really wish they had at least given me my first teaching assignment in my native language. *sigh*  Anyway, anxiety over the whole molding young minds thing is what's on my mind, and the pressing desire to review five years' worth of language study, even though I know it won't help me any.  I've prayed almost every day for the past month that God doesn't let me harm these students' chances of becoming fully fluent in this language.  My patron saint, Catherine of Alexandria, has been getting an earful too.
    Posted by HelloKaty37[/QUOTE]

<div>It will be so much fun!  Make sure you build a support system for yourself -- I had a mentor teacher who was great, but I couldn't have made it through my first year without some friends from my team who took me out from time to time to just unwind! Good luck!</div>
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    More teachers around here than I realized. I just finished Day 2 at a charter high school. Day 2, thankfully was better than Day 1 (which wasn't bad, just not great either). I'm ready for next week when we can actually start having class instead of pre-tests and rules lectures and time filling.

I'm also excited about the Mass changes. I'm a language geek at heart, so the closer translation really speaks to me. I think the problem with the mass settings is that they are trying too hard to be similar to the old settings instead of being totally new settings for the totally new translation. At least the little bit I've heard of them playing on YouTube.

That said, I like the hand-holding and hugging. I think that they encourage the body of Christ to be a faith community, not just a bunch of people who go to the same mass. I think, too often, the Church is not good at building community, which turns people away (not trying to go there, just commenting on the thoughts as they enter my little brain).

Sending my prayers to everyone who needs them: people starting new jobs and positions, Docta on her defense, Shawna on the loss of your grandmother, those with weddings coming up, those I missed. I really hope we can start to build a real community that can have fun, debate theology, and forgive and forget at the end of the day if we have disagreed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    "Sending my prayers to everyone who needs them: people starting new jobs and positions, Docta on her defense, Shawna on the loss of your grandmother, those with weddings coming up, those I missed. I really hope we can start to build a real community that can have fun, debate theology, and forgive and forget at the end of the day if we have disagreed"

Ditto Bibli

We're usually on the the same wave length because our stars and moons are well connected. This was solidified by her wedding on my birthday.

sisters for life!

I've only chatted a bit .with my pastor about the new changes coming in the mass.  This particular church doesn't hold hands during the Lord's Prayer although I see families doing it.  When I attend Mass with my daughter, we hold hands as does all of our family.

One of the most beautiful and uniting thing I've ever seen in a church was every single person, priests & officiant included, were connected by hands.  The bride's uncle, a deacon of the church, told everyone to join hands and everyone did.  It was one unbroken chain!
  • edited December 2011
    @docta - best of luck to you on your dissertation defense. I wouldn't go through mine again for all the money in the world. And we pay for that privilege!

What's on my mind...finalizing my musicians; in my anxiety, I booked a duet and a quartet for my ceremony, and we're trying to get that straightened out.

We have some wood rats taking up residence on our deck, so we have been setting traps like mad (we live in the woods, so there's no way to avoid it). We've also set some mousetraps, because the mice are a constant. There was one in one snap trap on the deck this morning that was incredibly still alive...when I got home ten hours later! I absolutely positively cannot beat or club something to death even though I know it's quicker and more merciful, so I had to drown it. It was dreadful.

And after losing quite a bit of weight and looking great in my dress when I tried it on a couple weeks ago, I've been doing nothing but eat!!! But I'm not going to quit; as Scarlett said, tomorrow is another day. I've got my healthy food packed and my gym clothes in the truck for after work tomorrow.

So I'm having something of a whiny night...sorry about that, LOL...

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:bebedf6a-8666-4bc1-bfc0-45ceb3399da3">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related) : Ooo, yay new lab!  I'm jumping ship for industry, hehe. And what are the words to the Gloria you're thinking of?  If I recognize the words, I might be able to tell you which one it is (I know, I know, the words are all similar, but some of them are distinctive!).
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

I googled it til I found it.  <a href="http://www.spiritandsong.com/compositions/30939">http://www.spiritandsong.com/compositions/30939</a>
    The cantors (there are three or four different ones, including a high school student) all just seem to have fun singing this one!  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:8f322ec3-3581-4c17-a91a-572690ba208f">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hellokitty--where are you teaching?  Highschool?  Public or private?  Just curious. I'm sure you'll do fine!  I know all beginning teachers are scared.  I'm not even on the job market yet for teaching and the thought already terrifies me.  
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I'm a graduate student at a Catholic university, so I'll be teaching here until I graduate.  After that I plan on working at a smaller college or a high school so I'm anticipating this being the most challenging teaching situation I confront.  I keep thinking, if I can make it through this, I can make it through anything.  Thanks for the encouragement.  :)
    After five years he finally asked! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers imageVisit The Nest!
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What's on my mind? 

Well, I'm in the process of leaving my job to move and get married (which is already hard and I *don't* really want to do cuz I LOVE my job and the people there love me!) and my boss just found out yesterday that we had made an assumption about a certain aspect of the person we hired to replace me, and it's actuallly not true. It's kind of a big deal, but not something that we can immediately fire her for (it's not like she withheld information, we just never bothered to ask, even though we asked the same question to all our othe candidates!) especially since she just quit her job to work for us. 

So, when I found this out yesterday, it totally upset me, partly cuz I feel like it was my fault for not being as thorough as we could have in interviewing this person, but also just feeling guilty for leaving especially since we are now wondering if this person is not nearly as ideal as we assumed. :-(

My boss (who is a priest) and I are trying to be like, "Well, God let us hire this person for a reason." (She was more qualified than any of our other candidates in the three main obvious areas that we were looking at. So that's why we made other assumptions. And I wanted to be able to move on from my job by this point in the summer, so I was eager to hire someone and not keep looking!) 

So I can only hope and trust and pray that it was the right decision! :-/
    And also, I feel so bad for my boss, cuz really, it won't be "my problem," since I'm leaving; it will be his! So that's another reason I feel terrible--cuz I won't really be able to help him out!

Prayers please!
    Anniversary
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Psst:  Lala - I can't move posts.  Could you post in the new thread for the day I'm about to create? 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:3187b359-f709-4f10-835e-1d0c6be7ad7a">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Newly - I know what you mean.  I've been soooooooo lazy with changing my name.  So far I have a new SS card, a new license, and I changed my name on my bank accounts (we still need to open a joint one).  But I still have credit cards, our mortgage, student loans, and fifty bazillion other account-type things (utilities, online sites, etc.) that I haven't touched.  It really makes you realize just how much of a paper trail you have!
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'm at about the same place and started changing the credit cards and account things last night... and realized that several of them don't even have a way for you to access or change your name or account info on the site!  I'm so thrilled to spend my lunch break calling these places...  suprisingly, my credit cards were the easiest thing to switch over and had a pretty quick and simple way to register your name change and reason for change online.
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for the well wishes and prayers for my Gramma

Monkeysip-  Thanks for the prayers, I really appreciate it. I know that prayer can do wonders!

rcj2rcd-  Thanks you and I will be praying for your uncle...it's such a tough situation to be in.  But we never know because they could come to the Lord right before they go too. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards