Canada

Kissing Games?

As much as we all hate it, people will start clinking their glasses to get us to kiss at the reception.

One thought we had was to make people pay ($1-2) to get us to kiss and we'd donate the money to charity.

Any other ideas?
Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

TTC Since January 2011 - We have bad sperm IUI #1 (February 2013) = BFN Nestie Besties with Xan921

Re: Kissing Games?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't do the payment. Even though your intentions are good and you'll announce that you're donating the money, it comes across as kind of tacky. I just went to a wedding where they said that you have to EITHER [do something] OR make a donation to [named charity]... as soon as they mentioned the donation, guests were like, wtf. Honestly, no one played the game after that. (On the other hand... it would be an effective way to avoid people 'making' you kiss all together!)

If you're hiring a DJ, most will have a kissing game available. Some have giant dice or wheels, and depending on what the guest spins or rolls, they may have to sing a song, do a dance, or act out a certain movie kiss to get you to kiss.

I also went to a wedding once where each table had cards with instructions like "5 things she said when he proposed" or "5 names for their future kids". If you wanted to get them to kiss, you had to fill out the card and read it for the guests. That one turned out to be pretty fun, actually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did the donation instead of the clinking.  FI and I were both NICU babies at Sick Kids when we were born, so we donated the money there - without them we would not be here at all, nevermind together!  Everyone was cool with that, and we raised about $300 for the charity!  It worked for our crowd, but maybe not the one that Ringy saw!  To each their own!

We were just at a wedding where the couple were very physically active, so you had to do something physical - you could dance to a song (a fast song), the boys made a human pyramid, and they had props like skipping ropes and hula hoops - it was very funny.

At another wedding, the couple were both in musical theatre, so you could sing a love song and put the couple's name into it - most people did that as a table.  The songs were incredible because obviously a lot of the guests where in theatre as well.  They even did the "circle of life" from the Lion King, complete with Swahili harmony in the background.

I've seen singing songs with the word love, telling a funny story about the couple or one of them, or even telling the story about how another person either proposed or got their gf/bf to date them, etc.  All very cute ideas!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh - I should mention that we didn't ask for any specific amount at all - some people dropped in a loonie, and some $20.  We did try to do a bigger/longer kiss if they gave a big donation, however.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Littlin, glad it worked for you and you were able to raise that cash for the hospital! You're probably right that it probably depends on the crowd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    My dad's a cancer survivor, so my brother did donations to the Canadian Cancer Society for his wedding and everybody was into it. Again, it probably depends on the circumstances, the crowd, and how it's explained.
    I've also seen the couple set up a putting green and people had to make a put for the couple to kiss. People seemed to enjoy that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes - I've seen the golf green, and a friend told me they had a kid's hockey net with different spots in the net for different types of kisses - they had a blast!
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my cousin's wedding, others would have to kiss the way they wanted the couple to kiss.

It was a funny/different idea, but not a whole lot of people participated (but they had a very short reception for this- only about an hour and a half was available for people to do this)
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh - my friends would have LOVED that - that is a GREAT idea, and hilarious!  Everyone would have found the funniest ways to kiss ever.
  • edited December 2011
    For our wedding this weekend we're planning on setting up Wii bowling, so if you get a strike we have to kiss. It's a little complicated though because we have to worry about getting a big screen and a projector and bring someone's Wii. (Not sure if it's ours or someone else's Wii... FI is supposed to be taking care of this one.)

We wanted something a little more on the interactive side. FI is Chinese, and I understand that at Chinese weddings the couples usually play all sorts of little games to make the crowd laugh at them. We weren't interested in those games, so we tried to come up with a "good" kissing game, to give people some kind of entertainment during the 3hr, 10-course dinner! 

I'll try to remember to report back sometime next week to let you know how it worked out!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not into the kissing games... so I'm not sure what we'll do as of yet..
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Other than clinking, I've been to weddings with 3 different takes on this:

- Simply asking the MC to get the couple to kiss. Not very effective. No one asked.
    - Having each table fill out cards with 5 things (ie 5 things women are better at than men, 5 things not to do on your honeymoon, etc), and then return them to the MC. After the MC read a card, the couple had to kiss.
    - If you wanted the couple to kiss, you had to go up and answer a question about them. 

Asking for money seems tacky, no matter what. Personally, as a guest at a wedding, I couldn't care less whether the bride and groom kiss (sorry!), so I'm sure not going to donate money to the cause. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    we did this for my sister's wedding:

every table had a piece of paper to write down a dare that had to be performed if the bride and groom were to kiss. these were put into a jar, and whenever glasses started to clink, we'd pick one envelope out of the jar to read to the guests. i was co-mc with the best man, so we chose who were best suited for the dares (ones who wouldnt be embarrassed or offended by some of these dares).
    we had a couple to do pushups, one other couple had to kiss and bride and groom had to 1up them,  and the crowd roared when groom and best man had to kiss! of course they took it to the next level by making it all theatrical- best man grabbing groom's face and planting a fierce kiss while poor groom is desperately trying to get away- convulsing on the floor afterward hahaha!
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We rented a Plinko Board!  There were 4 slots and they said:
    - Bride & groom kiss
    - Kiss someone of the same sex
    - Kiss someone at your table
    - Kiss the bride or groom

We had so many players come up, everyone loved it (especially when 2 guys had to kiss, haha).
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG I love the idea of the hockey net with different targets!  I need to suggest this to FI :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • smsimpsonsmsimpson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where they had riddles at each table and if you wanted the bride and groom to kiss two people had to go to the mic, read the riddle and answer it correctly.  If you got it wrong the two of you had to kiss.  It wasn't a really big wedding and not too many people went up.  I think the point was that the bride and groom didn't want to have to kiss every two seconds.
  • edited December 2011
    IDEAS THAT I HAVE SEEN MYSELF THAT ARE GREAT:

1-Music Lovers: at my sister's wedding, if people wanted to see the bride/groom kiss, they had to put on a long black wig, and play a love song on a guitar. Even if people have no idea how to play, its funny to see them do it

2-Hunters: At my brother's wedding, we had a bow and arrow set, and we created a large target, the outer edge was a hand shake, and moving inward it was a hug, peck on the cheak, and then a kiss on the lips. It was really nice and fun for everyone

3- Fear Factor - At my cousin's wedding, to make the couple kiss, you had to walk to the front, and take a mystery shot . so shot glasses were filled with everything from yummy drinks, to fish juice, to hot drinks, to sweet things and even egg yolks. it was really funny to watch.

Hope that you sure these!

I really like that there are so many more things to do, than the regular tapping of the glasses, or making people say a phrase with the word LOVE in it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards