Wedding Etiquette Forum

Overheard in the office:

Re: Overheard in the office:

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:47f10b44-e14a-49ab-b454-eb72e2a16c91">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't expect anyone outside the US to know where Charlotte is.  Anyway, overheard in my office:  "Well, you're the one married to a sex-pervert.  He's not welcome in my home, even if it is Christmas."
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Heels, because I've "met" you, I know where it is and will always remember it.  :)

But,  Calgary is one million people.  Charlotte is a small town.  I don't expect anyone to know my small town of 10,000 outside of a 3 hour radius, let alone the country.   

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:661db7d7-8ced-46bc-be0c-991125d32290">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Are you by chance from Calgary?
    Posted by jesi_nickles[/QUOTE]

Yes I am from Calgary! 

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • In 5th grade we had to learn a song called "Fifty Nifty" - I know all the fifty states in alphabetical order and for some reason I can still sing that song to this day. 

But of course, I'm an American, so I very well should know my states.
  • Charlotte isn't really a small town.
  • Alix - that's insane!  I would be so annoyed to have a conversation like that! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:c212600c-1ce4-454e-9813-333f0a5a4dda">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Heels, because I've "met" you, I know where it is and will always remember it.  :) But,  Calgary is one million people.  Charlotte is a small town.  I don't expect anyone to know my small town of 10,000 outside of a 3 hour radius, let alone the country.   
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]
    There are actually about 700,000 people living in Charlotte, so it's not really that small.
  • I got the impression from heels before that it was small(er).  Or maybe where she's originally from is smaller?  I could be mistaken.

I know she's in North Carolina, she has snakes in her backyard and when it snows lots everyone stocks up on milk!  Haha.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:82a859b8-ec3f-474b-ae27-0e1940cbc9c9">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Yes I am from Calgary! 

Ever been to Jasper at all?
    <*>My Blog<*> Updated Sept. 20 My BFP Chart
    Started TTC July 2010 ~ Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism April 2011 ~ BFP 5.10.11 EDD 1.16.12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This debate can be solved with a Canadian vs. USA Knotties geography bee.

• Yeah. She's from a smaller town outside of Charlotte, but Charlotte itself is very large. It's the biggest city in the state and something like 18th in the country.
  • "I knew someone who had the Carmen Elektra one.  I forgot what it's called."
    "Carmen Elektra cardio striptease"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:c212600c-1ce4-454e-9813-333f0a5a4dda">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Heels, because I've "met" you, I know where it is and will always remember it.  :) But,  Calgary is one million people.  Charlotte is a small town.  I don't expect anyone to know my small town of 10,000 outside of a 3 hour radius, let alone the country.   

LOL no it's not.  Charlotte metro area is actually larger than Calgary metro area.  And the city of Charlotte itself only has about 100K less people than Calgary. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:38b7d1fb-fb13-4113-b76f-115888c17f3f">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]This debate can be solved with a Canadian vs. USA Knotties geography bee.
    Posted by punkyb2b[/QUOTE]

THIS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:2432c6bc-ed0d-4d30-bb82-fee89082d7f2">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : I'd be really surprised if they couldn't considering it's one of the largest cities in the world. I'm sorry, I'm with Mandy and P2 on this. For the most part, it doesn't seem that Americans (and this is just my opinion, based on public figures and Americans I've chatted with over the years) know all that much, geography-wise, if it isn't within their borders. The most commonly asked question I get from Americans when they ask where I'm from goes as follows: "So you're from South Africa?" Me: Yep "But which country: Me: Erm... South Africa "Yes, but WHICH country in South Africa" Me: Um. It is a country doofus. "No. no, not the region, which country in South Africa" Me: kicks idiot in the shins. Seriously, I can't even keep count of how many of those I've had.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

South Africa is beautiful!  I did study abroad there... Then I went on another one in Honduras.  South Africa was better on land, but the scuba diving was awesome in Honduras.

I would go back to South Africa in a heartbeat!
  • If it came down to being good at geography or being able to travel around the world, I'd take the latter.

I may not know where every last city and country are located on a map, but I'll be damned if someone thinks I'm any less intelligent for it when I've been to more countries than most people I know.

• mandysmearmandysmear member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2010

I knew that Charlotte had the university so I assumed it was larger, more like a population of 100,000 larger and to me that's "small".  I stand corrected, as someone said the population is 600,000+. 

To the newb: I grew up 3 hours away from Jasper and we would go as much as we could.  I just spent a day and night there this past summer.  Jasper's beautiful, just too far away.

ETA: when i say "the" university i mean the university of NC.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:52baa0e4-0449-4d29-b0bd-333409791024">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : THIS!
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

I concur.  How do we make this geography bee happen? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • It's cool, Mandy.  You can still visit anytime.  Make it winter, though, when the snakes are hibernating.  Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:b8c448c9-1881-4902-9347-838d4fbd3b8d">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Oh don't worry, it's not only this one moron. I find, in general, most Americans I meet have NO idea about geography, not their own or anywhere else in the world. It's a genuine thing I've always wondered...what kind of geography gets taught. When I was in grade 8, I had to learn all 50 states and be able to place them on a map.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]

I won the state geography bee in 4th grade.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:591e463b-8556-40c3-8a7a-e6e6b15575e3">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it came down to being good at geography or being able to travel around the world, I'd take the latter. I may not know where every last city and country are located on a map, but I'll be damned if someone thinks I'm any less intelligent for it when I've been to more countries than most people I know.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

I don't think that having been to said countries automatically boosts ones intelligence, personally. I think that's a pretty weak parallel to draw, actually.
  • No, I was never taught geography in school either elementary or high school.  None of my siblings were either so that's 4 Americans (although my older brother is now a Canadian citizen) that weren't taught geogrpahy.  P2 has a point.
  • Yeah that or I will stay the hell away from the grassy areas!  And NO lakes!  Damn those moccassins. 

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Not an overheard but my coworker came right up to me and said, 'I don't know what I've eatten thats made me so gassy but DONT go back there'

Its a smaller building and I HAVE to go back there to check the doors.. Augh, b!tch.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Not exactly overheard in my office, but it is a favorite story around here:

We have to do a lot of Google image searches for photo reference of art we need to create. A couple games back it was mostly urban/city scenes and one guy was making a manhole cover in a street with steam coming out of it, like in cities with subway systems. So he Googled "steaming manhole."

I would not recommend that choice of wording. :P

I had a similar experience when working on rocky terrain and I wanted different rock formation reference so I Googled "crevasse" and "fissure". *shudder* I so did not need to know that those are medical terms as well...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:56fd7d2f-e560-4f8c-8367-7f5ad740a47c">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Canadians are Americans, too. So are people from South America. C'mon guys! ;)
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]
    Vally I just had this argument with my son the other day, he thought because Canada is attached they are Americans. I said NO. Does that mean Mexicans are Americans too because they're attached, I mean this is your theory. I finally pounded it in.

Also........"you cant have your cake and icing too".........huh??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:bdea1884-f716-4679-9364-0dd86c96163b">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : Vally I just had this argument with my son the other day, he thought because Canada is attached they are Americans. I said NO. Does that mean Mexicans are Americans too because they're attached, I mean this is your theory. I finally pounded it in. Also........"you cant have your cake and icing too".........huh??
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with being "attached", it's that they are all countries located in The Americas. North America (Canada, US, Mexico), Central America and South America. All American. American =/= US Citizen.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:2cf30cf4-1579-49d5-a9e7-483102280c31">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : I don't think that having been to said countries automatically boosts ones intelligence, personally. I think that's a pretty weak parallel to draw, actually.

No, it doesn't automatically, I agree.  But when you're familiar with other cultures and have spent time learning to appreciate them, I think that holds a lot of value.  I think being unaware of things like that is worse than not being able to identify (within reason) a city or country.

Obviously I agree with you that there are just some places that people should know, and it's mind boggling when they don't. 
  • 273 US cities over 100,000 people:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Charlotte is #18.  Louisville #30, and Atlanta #33. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_overheard-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:874b6976-0237-4741-a3e9-92521575cb6aPost:2cf30cf4-1579-49d5-a9e7-483102280c31">Re: Overheard in the office:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overheard in the office: : I don't think that having been to said countries automatically boosts ones intelligence, personally. I think that's a pretty weak parallel to draw, actually.

I don't think that's what she was saying at all.
  • Thank you Bubbalub.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards