African American Weddings

The food I want vs the food they want

My FI and I have our tasting in a couple of weeks for our reception dinner. We are choosing 2 out of 3 selections for the entree

Manhattan cut sirloin
herb crusted chicken
pecan crusted trout

My FI is already saying he wants to do beef and chicken bc that's what most of his people eat, but I really like fish and want to do the trout and beef...depending on the tasting of coarse. Should we pick our menu based on what we like most or what our guest will probably like? Did anyone have this issue?

Re: The food I want vs the food they want

• edited December 2011
    Well we haven't picked our menu yet but nothing for dinner is really something I would like to eat so the person I am working with at my venue told me I am the bride and I get whatever i want so if I want them to make me something completely different they will do it for me. With that said I think you should go with what your crowd likes and see if your venue can make you a different dish.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We planned it according to our budget. Our original plated meal was chicken and pork. My mom was a bit upset and requested fish. Personally, I was not liking the thought of fish. Cooking for that type of crowd size and fish can be delicate and easily over cooked. Also the smell was a bit concerning. Unfortunately my venue charged more for fish, so I requested a vegetarian option. It was the same cost as the pork and chicken and not extra. I feel we had something to offer everyone without compromising on budget and what we like. If you do pick fish, maybe check out additional meal option as a 3rd plate at no additional cost, if possible. If not...get what you want!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    IMHO I would go with chicken and beef not only because that is what most folks would want but I don't trust most folks to cook fish.  I also agree with PP that cooking fish on a large scale could produce an odor and it is hard to cook to perfection (which for fish is a must) on that scale. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do fish and beef simply because not everyone eats red meat or chicken. Fish gives them an alternative. I think with your venue you should not have any issues with odors from the fish. 

My venue allowed us to do a dual entree where each guest recieves a portion of beef and fish. But to be honest I only did this because I did not want the hassle of having people select a meal on their RSVP card. Or changing their mind the day of the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: The food I want vs the food they want:
    [QUOTE]I would do fish and beef simply because not everyone eats red meat or chicken. Fish gives them an alternative. I think with your venue you should not have any issues with odors from the fish.  My venue allowed us to do a dual entree where each guest recieves a portion of beef and fish. But to be honest I only did this because I did not want the hassle of having people select a meal on their RSVP card. Or changing their mind the day of the wedding.
    Posted by MsAmeera25[/QUOTE]

This.

We did a prime rib and salmon choice. I wasn't going to go with the fish at first, but when I tasted it at our tasting session,  I couldn't say no.

Plus, you have to be careful with chicken. For some reason, every wedding I've been to that had a chicken entree it was dry. But I guess that could be with any food selection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I had this same issue... (and quite frankly I still do, lol).

FI is saying go with what the masses eat and that is chicken. I happen to prefer seafood so I want a seafood entree. My coordinator says "feed the masses what they will eat and special order your meal"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    We served our meal family style, so people got to choose between a chicken or a beef, or have both if they wanted to.  (I had both). I really wanted a shellfish option but DH has an allergy so I opted against it.  

Ultimately a fish is a safe option if you choose a mild fish like a cod, tilapia, halibut or seabass.  Salmon is more common, but is a meatier fish that has the propensity to go awry if it is undercooked.  

If cost is an issue, choose the most upscale vegetarian option available.   A nice vegetable wellington beats an average fish any day.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We did beef and fish at my wedding. The fish was amazing and was gobbled up!  So if you want to serve fish, serve fish.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Guys! Sounds like folks have had success w fish so....If I like the fish at the tasting...I'm getting it! lol Dry chicken is my worse nightmare, I'm confident my venue will do it well, but not sure if I want to chance it. Not looking forward to having the guest select their option on the RSVP and changing their mind at the event. I know that will a happen!
  • edited December 2011
    Beef and Chicken for us. NO PORK ewwwww. Im thinking about some red snapper
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June30,2012 I Will Marry My Prince
  • edited December 2011
    I'd love a fish option, I just say be careful about the pecan topping in case some of your guests have nut allergies.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards