North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham
Options

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE=(

Here's my dilemma.. I have wanted mahogany chiavari chairs for the last 6 months. I think they are soo absolutely gorgeous and rented them.. then last week decided to cancel the reservation and go with white chair covers because we couldn't afford the chairs and the white covers were reasonable. My mother in law who's a stylist says the white chair covers would take away from my pretty white dress and we shouldnt get the chair covers.. she said if I didnt like the regular banquet chairs the way they were that we should just rent the chiavais again for our 10-9-11 wedding.but me personally I dont want to ask them for anymore money $400 for the chairs.

They gave my fiancee and I a 100 thousand dollar loan for a business we successfully opened and we are stil paying them back. My mother in law also went very overboard for this wedding.. tons and tons of gorgeous high tall flower centerpieces, 400 pastries a lavish wedding cake, etc etc..

We dont have the money for the chairs and i dont want to ask her even though she said if I wanted them she would get them. should I JUST PUT THE DREAM OF MY CHAIRS ASIDE AND JUST ENJOY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT MY WEDDING?  If I had those chairs it would be my dream wedding everything I have ever wanted. and if i dont get them then it would still be pretty but I would be thinking about how the chairs would have looked on my wedding day...

sorry for the long post.. I just feel bad for wanting the chairs sooo bad even after all the beautiful stuff my mother in law has done for me

Re: PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE=(

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Here's my dilemma.. I have wanted mahogany chiavari chairs for the last 6 months. I think they are soo absolutely gorgeous and rented them.. then last week decided to cancel the reservation and go with white chair covers because we couldn't afford the chairs and the white covers were reasonable. My mother in law who's a stylist says the white chair covers would take away from my pretty white dress and we shouldnt get the chair covers.. she said if I didnt like the regular banquet chairs the way they were that we should just rent the chiavais again for our 10-9-11 wedding.but me personally I dont want to ask them for anymore money $400 for the chairs. They gave my fiancee and I a 100 thousand dollar loan for a business we successfully opened and we are stil paying them back. My mother in law also went very overboard for this wedding.. tons and tons of gorgeous high tall flower centerpieces, 400 pastries a lavish wedding cake, etc etc.. We dont have the money for the chairs and i dont want to ask her even though she said if I wanted them she would get them. should I JUST PUT THE DREAM OF MY CHAIRS ASIDE AND JUST ENJOY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT MY WEDDING?  If I had those chairs it would be my dream wedding everything I have ever wanted. and if i dont get them then it would still be pretty but I would be thinking about how the chairs would have looked on my wedding day... sorry for the long post.. I just feel bad for wanting the chairs sooo bad even after all the beautiful stuff my mother in law has done for me
    Posted by jessamommy2[/QUOTE]

Honestly, IMO, they're just chairs. Things for people to put their butts on. If your MIL offers to pay for them, go for it. I would NOT ask her for the money to pay for chairs, because asking for money is rude IMO.

A lot of brides use white chair covers and I see nothing wrong with them, nor do I think they 'take away' from the bride. I mean come on . . . bride vs chair? Really? Everyone is going to be paying attention to the bride. If you asked me what kind of chair was at my cousins beautiful wedding, I couldn't tell you. If you asked me what kind of food they had or more importantly a question concerning the bride and groom, those questions I could answer.

I don't want to sound snappy, but seriously, it's just a chair. A chair is most definitely not something to stress yourself out with this close to your wedding. I highly doubt you'll look back and regret which chair you did or didn't use. I will bet that you'll look back and remember how amazingly awesome your wedding day was. It's your wedding though, do what makes you happy I suppose :)

Congrats on your upcoming wedding BTW.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, if I went to a wedding where everything was done well and lavishly, the bar was top shelf, the food was gourmet, and the chairs were covered banquet chairs.  I'd wonder why they didn't choose different chairs.

Then I'd go get a margarita from the open bar.  Then I'd peruse the appetizers again.  Then I'd admire the other details and I'd forget about the chairs. 

People remember if you splurged on food.  People remember if you splurged on the bar.  People remember if your band was good.  People remember that there were enough chairs that they were comfortable.  People don't remember if they were sitting in charivari chairs. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll give you the same advice that ppl have been giving me - if this is something you really wanted and you'll regret you don't have it when you look back at your wedding, go for it.  In your case, if your MIL offer to you, I'd say go get the chairs if you really really want it.  You can always earn $400 back (assume you are working) but you can't redo your wedding. HTH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know it really doesn't matter in the entire scheme of people enjoying themselves, but you're going to be looking at these pictures for the rest of your life. I personally love chivaris and will be having the mahogany ones at our wedding. It seems like you really want them, but you feel bad about the money. I agree with PP who said that it's your only wedding...you can always earn the $400 back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards