South Asian Weddings

Indian appetizers conducive to being served during cocktail hour

Hi there,
I would like to feature some Indian appetizers during my cocktail hour but am not sure from a catering perspective what would be most conducive to the typical cocktail hour setting.  My wedding is likely to be catered by a chef who is not familiar with Indian food, so I'm trying to think of stuff that's easy to make but still delish.  So far all I can think of is samosas and pakoras -- both super easy to make.  Do other brides have suggestions about other Indian apps served during their cocktail hours?  

Also, I love the idea of a pani poori station but am guessing that would be very hard to orchestrate...anyone seen this before?

Re: Indian appetizers conducive to being served during cocktail hour

• edited December 2011
    samosa's are easy and tell him channa chaat..pani poori is a good idea but it's hard unless you do have an indian chef. the other idea is to get an outside caterer just for appetizers
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the wedding, we had a make your own chaat station, where guests could make their own... during the cocktail hour, all of the ingredients were seperated out.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_indian-appetizers-conducive-being-served-during-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:bf436f49-f703-48c0-804c-9c3ed6fc3934Post:c3c9bc01-1d37-49de-8704-e2aff7417145">Re: Indian appetizers conducive to being served during cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]At the wedding, we had a make your own chaat station, where guests could make their own... during the cocktail hour, all of the ingredients were seperated out.
    Posted by kpwedkk[/QUOTE]

I love that idea!  My favorite chaat item is pani puri, but I would probably be afraid to eat it while dressed up.  Most people seem to like pakoras and the other day I had an awesome masala vadai... those kinds of things would also work.
  • rv224rv224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Some other ideas:

Chutney tea sandwiches (mint chutney with cucumbers or achar)
    Tandoori paneer
    Naan chips with dip (achar, chutney, etc)
    Gobi manchurian
    Kebabs (vegie or non-veg)
    Tikkis (potato)
    Stuffed tomatoes with curried salad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards