Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?

I know that it is obvious i am new, so i will not shorthand any words or names so i am sure it is readable

Me and my fiance both work for APPLE and have everything we need, including a 80 in tv and a 2010 camero. We do not need or want anything! Truthfully no one could afford anything we would want and i do not want a house full of junk. I do not think i am having a bridal shower, i think i am just taking my girls out to dinner and a spa day. BUT i cant avoid wedding gifts and i do not want a bunch of s*** that will junk up my house and never be used.

What should i do, i am really not worried about pissing people off...but i just want to know if i have any other options. I saw a honeymoon registry site (which is why i decided to post this message) how good are they? reliable? I am going for a month long honeymoon to cayman, bahamas and parts of hawaii

Suggestions?

Re: Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?

• Options
    *Pops popcorn and grabs a beer*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-money-only-bridal-shower-reception-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:06b1e1bc-bef4-433a-b79b-c19c3be49f07Post:60028345-0c5e-4b75-a1bb-70528bee91e8">Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that it is obvious i am new, so i will not shorthand any words or names so i am sure it is readable Me and my fiance both work for APPLE and have everything we need, including a 80 in tv and a 2010 camero. We do not need or want anything! Truthfully no one could afford anything we would want and i do not want a house full of junk. I do not think i am having a bridal shower, i think i am just taking my girls out to dinner and a spa day. BUT i cant avoid wedding gifts and i do not want a bunch of s*** that will junk up my house and never be used. What should i do, i am really not worried about pissing people off...but i just want to know if i have any other options. I saw a honeymoon registry site (which is why i decided to post this message) how good are they? reliable? I am going for a month long honeymoon to cayman, bahamas and parts of hawaii Suggestions?
    Posted by bridalbimbo[/QUOTE]

You're coming off incredibly snobby so congrats on that.
    Do not have a bridal shower, if anyone offers turn them down.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    With a name like bridalbimbo (and a post like that), I really can't take you seriously. Goodness.

But to answer your question, yes. Yes it is. Especially if you request it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-money-only-bridal-shower-reception-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:06b1e1bc-bef4-433a-b79b-c19c3be49f07Post:60028345-0c5e-4b75-a1bb-70528bee91e8">Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that it is obvious i am new, so i will not shorthand any words or names so i am sure it is readable Me and my fiance both work for APPLE and have everything we need, including a 80 in tv and a 2010 camero. We do not need or want anything! Truthfully no one could afford anything we would want and i do not want a house full of junk. I do not think i am having a bridal shower, i think i am just taking my girls out to dinner and a spa day. BUT i cant avoid wedding gifts and i do not want a bunch of s*** that will junk up my house and never be used. What should i do, i am really not worried about pissing people off...but i just want to know if i have any other options. I saw a honeymoon registry site (which is why i decided to post this message) how good are they? reliable? I am going for a month long honeymoon to cayman, bahamas and parts of hawaii Suggestions?

Don't have a shower if you don't register.

If you don't register, expect a lot of random crap as gifts.  It's better to do a small registry of upgrades and tell people "We have a registry at X, but we're also saving for a new house (or whatever.)"  People will get the hint and give you cash.

Honeymoon registries are, at best, controversial.  I would never give money to one.  Some people think they're okay, some people think they're tacky.  I think they're taky.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You should just include "cash, checks, and all major credit cards accepted" on your invites.  Done and done, no?
  • Options

JIC.

Don't ask for money. It's the tackiest of all things tacky. If you have everything and want nothing, then don't register for anything. People will get the hint more than likely, and give money or gift cards.

And if they give you a gift, politely accept it and move on.
  • Options
    NcsuPsych- *Pops popcorn and grabs a beer*

HAHAHAHA. Ah. I'm excited to read this one. *reaches for chips*
  • Options
    Jinx to everyone that quoted that one.

I had a poem for this for people to add to their invites. Let me go find it.
  • Options
    Register for a book about proper grammar.
  • Options
    It is tacky, in all cases,to ask for cash. The purpose of a shower is to give gifts, and if you don't want gifts, you should decline anyone who offers to throw a shower.

You also can't tell people what they can give you, as you should not be expecting gifts at all. A registry is a guide to what you are interested in and in need of. If you don't think you can use anything, then don't register, but putting "no gifts" or "no boxed gifts" on your invitation information is tacky, because there is no need to mention gifts at all on the invitiation (a gift is not required to attend, whether you register or not).

If people ask where you are registered, you can tell them that you aren't, but that you are saving up for X project, etc. There is a lot of opposition on this board to honeymoon registries because it is asking for cash. My main gripe with them is that they charge you or your giver a fee. If you just get cards with cash in them, you don't have to pay anyone a fee. You end up with more money!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Oh, and you own a CAMARO. Please learn to spell before you brag. I'm starting to doubt Apple's compensation formulas.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    MUD?

I have no words. You're charming, Little Miss Entitlement.
  • Options
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm sure:

If someone came up to you and said "When you get me a gift, just give me the cash"  how would you react?

If you say you wouldn't give it a second thought, you might want to go poop, because you're full of shiit.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Ew, entitled much?  You're gross.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    ::runs in gasping for air::

I FOUND IT!

Here, include this in your invites. Trust me. It works like a charm It did for me!

On this blessed day of bliss,
    Please don't be a priss.
    Loosen those strings,
    Leave some ca-ching.
    Open your purse or your wallet
    Or whatever you call it
    Be a sweet honey
    And give us your money!

XOXO, THE BRIDE AND GROOM
  • Options
    Troll.  This is a funny attempt though.  This is too pitch-perfect to be anything but fake.
  • Options
    This isn't even good MUD. You're trying too hard.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-money-only-bridal-shower-reception-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:06b1e1bc-bef4-433a-b79b-c19c3be49f07Post:b0be5b95-e836-4e47-9135-6e422cd5e9e0">Re: Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shelly- Hottttt
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

thinking about poop?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-money-only-bridal-shower-reception-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:06b1e1bc-bef4-433a-b79b-c19c3be49f07Post:b0be5b95-e836-4e47-9135-6e422cd5e9e0">Re: Is a no gift, money only bridal shower and reception tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shelly- Hottttt
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

Seconded! Ow owww!
  • Options
    oh the pic! haha! thanks!

I am just about to post some new AW pics from the other photographer, and these are in my dress!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    APPLE in all caps and the "camero" gave it away. I wondered how long it would take someone to pick up on that. Oh, and the 80 inch TV.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Boo MUD.
  • Options
    Your going to gift wedding gifts even if you don't want them so be nice, smile, and write thank you letters because it what people do.  
    My advice is to register really nice fine china, silver flatware, and crystal.  They are appropriate wedding gifts that store easy.   
    www.mromag1.weebly.com
  • Options
    I love the pic too.  Very pretty ma' dear.
  • Options
    playtntsbpg30playtntsbpg30 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2010
    alrighty then---Number one rule- LURK before POSTING!!
    thats it.. that says it all. you can find a question in the order of this just about every other page if you'd just LURK around and read a little bit before asking such a thing here..

it's not a good idea to have ppl pay for your "sexmoon" and if you have everything you want, and don't want anything and are RICH enough to have an 80in tv and a 2010 comero THEN SIMPLY put no gifts please. donate to the dogs or something..
    the least you could do is be happy people would even give you a gift being you clearly wouldn't be thankful no matter what it is. Damn i'm glad I don't know you!!!
    You could be thankful enough and well if it was something you truely hated or just couldn't use, you have a few options. ONE try and return it.. two--donate it to the people that actually need it the goodwill or something..

wow.. this is one of the worse things yet. I mean I've seen the whole "can I ask for money or a honeymoon registry" but to state it the way you did and come off completely unthankful for this..

*sorry for the bad grammar*  edit--lol I didn't even see the post about registering for the a book on proper grammar. Until after I posted.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Cancel your account now....

Go look for the post "money tree" youll get some good advice

If you have all that you "claim" you do...why the hell do you need money? just tell family to come to your wedding and since you dont care if you piss people off...why do you need advice I mean really, sounds like as "super-awesome" as you are that you could say "B**** give me money"
  • Options
    I'm sure the OP has brown eyes cause she's full of it clear up to her eyeballs.
  • Options
    translate. MUD?
  • Options
    OH COME ON.  A 2010 Camero?  Really. 

The trolls of yesteryear shun you.  SHUN.  At least TRY. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards