Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O Debate: Drugs

Do we handle drug crimes correctly?  Would you decriminalize certain drugs?  What would be a better deterrant?  Do you judge people with a history of drug use? 
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: S/O Debate: Drugs

• edited January 2010
    We don't handle drug crimes appropriately, IMO. I'm also a huge sympathizer to the legalization of marijuana movement. I'm sorry, but marijuana is not any more harmful than alcohol. Less harmful, I think.  (I know it's not a popular opinion in these parts, but I use marijuana frequently and responsibly and it has never adversely affected my life in any way. Not saying it doesn't adversely affect some people.)

I went to court when I was 20 over a misdemeanor drunk in public ticket (Mardi Gras in New Orleans) and everyone (almost) that saw the judge ahead of me was male, African American, and there for simple possession of marijuana. I thought it was the biggest waste of taxpayer money I'd ever seen. I really think resources can be directed at something much more worthwhile than arresting every person who smokes weed.

EDIT: I don't judge people with a history of drug abuse. I think there's way too much that goes into chemical dependancy for me to pass judgment on a person for that.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • no we don't handle drugs correctly. i'm on the fence on decriminializing certain drugs, and i am rarely on the fence about anything. i do not judge people with a drug history. often, they make the best substance abuse counselors.

• I can't think of a single argument against decriminalizing marijuana (and really other drugs, too) that doesn't also apply to alcohol.  If alcohol is legal, really what ARE the reasons for making other mood-altering substances illegal? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:12954c60-5a78-4382-b603-898a4f11463b">S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do we handle drug crimes correctly? <strong>no</strong>

Would you decriminalize certain drugs? <strong>yes.</strong>

What would be a better deterrant? <strong>not sure.  </strong>

Do you judge people with a history of drug use? <strong>not generally.  I find everyone has vices in way or another.   I do not find someone doing blow a few times worse than someone who gets drunk all the time.

Now, just like drinking, when it starts to consume your life, then I judge you.  But not simply because you've done drugs at some point in your life

p</strong>osted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited January 2010
    No we don't handle it properly.  We waste way too much money prosecuting and punishing people for such minor offenses as having a small bag of pot.  I think that's ludicrous.  I'm all for decriminalizing Marijuana, but I'm not sure where I stand on legalization of it.  Thats' really the only drug I support decriminalizing, though.

Edit: I try not to judge people base din their pasts in general, but no I don't really care if someone I know has gottne into trouble for drugs.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think there are better things for law enforcement, probation officers, and the Court to worry about than drug use.  I think decriminalizing (what do you really mean by that?  Because in MN, possession of a small amount of marijuana has technically been "decriminalized"--meaning you can get a ticket but you don't go to court or serve jail time, etc) certain drugs would allow for better control and regulation, making it safer overall. 

I don't judge people with a history of drug use.  There are so many other factors involved. 
  • To answer my own question. . .

I think we do a crappy job.  I think if we decriminalized pot, it would free up resources to focus on more dangerous drugs.  I also think we don't have harsh enough penalties for repeat offenders & dealers.  I'd really like more work on prevention, instead of just seizing drugs. 

And yep, I judge drug users.  If pot were legal, I wouldn't judge that group, but as it's not - I do.  I just don't see the need to do something that isn't legal.  I also judge people who date/hand out with hardcore drug users.  I just dont get it.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • count me in the "legalize marijuana" camp. I also believe that it is less harmful than alcohol, and I love alcohol.

I never (well, I like to say never, rarely is more honest) judge for drug abuse. there is absolutely a chemical dependency that is involved, and the body can go through some serious harm if a person quits cold turkey (valium is a commonly prescribed drug for people going through withdrawal). I've seen the effects of someone coming down from benzodiazepines (valium, xanax and the like, very addictive) and it was NOT PRETTY. I don't blame that person one bit for his addiction, even though he tried to punch me and kick me as I was helping tie him to the bed for his own safety. and as for starting drug abuse, peer pressure is very hard to back away from (all of us have gone through it, we know), and sometimes, the drug abuse is insidious (oh, just one more drink tonight, just one more pill...). then there comes the psychological dependency, which is often harder than the physiological. how many here have tried multiple times to quit tobacco? my mom has (and succeeded). my dad has (and failed). my FI has (and failed).

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Marijuana should definitely be decriminalized IMO, and probably legalized too. Especially since Mexico has become involved in marijuana production and the pot trade has become violent in many places...legalization would put gov't controls on production.

I'm not as educated on harder drugs, so I don't know what I think about that...I'd be interested to see how other country's usage & drug-trade-related crime rates are doing...haven't a couple of places decriminalized harder drugs?

Personally, I don't think I'd use much marijuana in the future. I agree it's less dangerous than alcohol and nicotine, but it still interfered with my life to a limited extent. But whatever, that's not a good reason for making it illegal. TV and junk food are bad for you too, and those are legal.
  • If you decriminalize a drug like marijauna all that's going to do is drop the street value, leading the dealers to pick up drugs of more street value, i.e. crack, cocaine, heroine.  Then you get into the risk of them pushing their drugs off onto new clientele to make money.  Meaning more junkies addicted to more hardcore drugs. 

Do I judge someone from a drug past, not necessarily.  Situations are different.  I was a 3 to 4 blunt a day person.  You'd never, EVER catch me with it now, but before I had lil stack you could have classified me as a pot head.  I judge parents who use drugs.  I think it sends a horrible message.  I should know, I grew up with two parents who smoked marijauna........I was even once told they'd prefer me to smoke weed then to smoke cigarrettes if I felt the need to smoke. 
  • JK, there are a lot of places where any pot is still a crime.  Personally, I think we waste a lot of helicopter fuel flying around looking for pot growing in KY.  I either think pot should be legal or tobacco should be illeagle.  I don't understand treating them differently.  At least if it were legal it could be regulated and taxed to fund drug interdiction work against other drugs.

And re: judging - I judge active users.  Not so much people who did in the past and no longer do. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:573392e2-8023-4a59-9ead-464a8034159b">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]JK, there are a lot of places where any pot is still a crime.  Personally, I think we waste a lot of helicopter fuel flying around looking for pot growing in KY.  I either think pot should be legal or tobacco should be illeagle.  I don't understand treating them differently.  At least if it were legal it could be regulated and taxed to fund drug interdiction work against other drugs. And re: judging - I judge active users.  Not so much people who did in the past and no longer do. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Right, I realize that.  Sorry, I guess I didn't really complete my question.  My specific question was do you mean decriminalize in the sense that MN has, or legalize completely?
  • Squirrly, I get where you're coming from on the don't do it because it's illegal thing. I realize I'm putting myself at risk, unnecessarily.  I kind of think of it like Prohibition though. People didn't stop drinking because it was illegal, and I don't think the legality of it stops the majority of pot users. I see it as an outdated law (which I realize doesn't give me license to break it) that will be overturned state by state, in the next 20 years. I'm not trying to justify the fact that I break the law frequently, just explain why I do.
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I would never judge anyone with a bad past or who has beaten a drug addiction because I was there once. I would judge an adult that does drugs as  lifestyle choice and has no desire to change that.

I don't smoke pot, but I think it should be legalized. I think there needs to be much heavier restrictions on prescription drugs such as oxycontin. My best friend is a pharmacist and has told me so many horror stories about people coming in with fake scrips or pharmacies being robbed just to get the drug.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:c91b92fd-8420-4b36-ad07-c1f5dd0791ea">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would never judge anyone with a bad past or who has beaten a drug addiction because I was there once. I would judge an adult that does drugs as  lifestyle choice and has no desire to change that. I don't smoke pot, but I think it should be legalized.

I think there needs to be much heavier restrictions on prescription drugs such as oxycontin. My best friend is a pharmacist and has told me so many horror stories about people coming in with fake scrips or pharmacies being robbed just to get the drug.
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

It agree with that.  My DH has a cousin who is married to a woman who is addicted to oxycontin.  She is so bad just a few days ago she swallowed some jewerly and went to the ER to get some pain medication. She as been at every ER on Long Island in the last few months to get more.  She is so bad  she stole money and gift cards from MIL purse xmas day.   She is a real winner and I do judge her.

People who has the proirities staight, yet will do drugs occasionally, I okay with.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • JK, I'm actually ok with both demineralization and legalization, provided there are rules and guidelines and such. 

Lauren, that's your thing.  Oddly, since I don't know you in person, I don't really judge you.  However, I judge one of my BMs who smokes occasionally.  That "not in person" thing does NOT extend to anonymous use of harder drugs - I do still judge that.  I guess it's because I would be ok with pot being legal?

Salt, there are pharmacies here that won't carry certain drugs, because of the risk of being robbed.  (But, that's not just KY - I saw that posted at the Walgreen's in greater Boston when we were there for Thanksgiving.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• My FI's ex can't go to about 15 ERs in a three state area because she goes there to get her fix and doesn't ever pay her bills.
  • I agree Salt.  Pain killers cause so many problems, and they're so easily obtained (legally and not legally)
  • Yeah, there are definitely pharmacies here that don't carry narcotics.  In addition, I have a friend who worked as a paramedic in North Minneapolis (a notoriously scary area) and they were instructed once they had the person in the ambulance to not open the doors again for ANYTHING until the got to the hospital because people would try to rob them for any drugs they might have in the ambulance.
  • Ditto PPs. Prescription narcotics scare me way more than anything (save heroin.) I had a friend get really bad off on painkillers and do the rehab stint and everything. The withdrawals are pure hell, from what he's told me. Not to mention financial burdens of paying for a reputable inpatient rehab center and the emotional toll it took on his family and friends.

• Marijuana is sort of decriminalized in California. We had problems with the federal government raiding and arresting people at dispensaries that are legal in California and illegal according to federal drug law. The new administration has basically promised to abide by state laws in terms of drugs, effectively halting the raids. However, Los Angeles is having issues with new dispensaries and what constitutes legal sale, etc. But honestly if all pot were legal in California, we could tax the shiit out of it and it would solve a lot of our budget problems. It would also free up TONS of space in prisons.

I definitely think pot, at least, should be legal. Once upon a time I occassionally did a few drugs, but I'm really, really not into that anymore. I only judge people who use them in certain ways, like my ex-friend who had to smoke up every hour to get through her day, at work, school, wherever. In that case, I think you really need to stop. But it's the same as relying on cigarettes to get through the day, and probably just as harmful. Your choice, but I judge you. Moreso for pot, maybe, since it's "supposedly" non-addictive, though I don't really buy that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited January 2010
    Oh yeah, IMO meth and heroin are nasty. No one should ever do that crap. (I don't speak from experience - I never tried either because they scare me too bad.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:a258f95a-2f1a-43b0-a48f-ec038880308c">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Debate: Drugs : It agree with that.  My DH has a cousin who is married to a woman who is addicted to oxycontin.  She is so bad just a few days ago she swallowed some jewerly and went to the ER to get some pain medication. She as been at every ER on Long Island in the last few months to get more.  She is so bad  she stole money and gift cards from MIL purse xmas day.   She is a real winner and I do judge her. People who has the proirities staight, yet will do drugs occasionally, I okay with.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
    I know people like this and I do judge them.  Do what you want in your own home, and on your own time, but if you start hurting other people, I start judging you.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I knew a girl that worked for CVS and would steal sealed and completely full bottles of Vicodin and sell them.  She stole probably 2, 500 count bottles of vic every week for 4 or 5 months.  CVS is apparently very dumb, they fired her for stealing the drugs but only estimated she stole about $800 worth, and never prosecuted her.  She's a sick individual though, she would go to Kroger and put only big items in a shopping cart that normally wouldn't go in bags, for example big box of diapers, toilet paper, laundry detergent, and then just whell the cart right out of the store and then sell them to people. 

If you put that much effort into stealing and making money why don't you put that effort into working hard at a REAL JOB?  Urgh, people bother me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:02105669-dcff-4722-a384-ddc795f1a4c2">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Debate: Drugs : I know people like this and I do judge them.  Do what you want in your own home, and on your own time, but if you start hurting other people, I start judging you.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Ditto.   At least we live in St Thomas and do not have to deal with it.  My MIL was about to called the cops on her butt.  She does not put that crap.  The cousin gave the money back.  But he and his wife are no longer welcome in her home (or his sister's home for that matter)

• JK10910JK10910 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2010
    Stack, that CVS is probably doing something illegal because they should have been keeping thorough records of their Schedule III drugs.

ETA:  They're also probably going by the wholesale price value, Vicodin is actually pretty cheap for pharmacies to buy, especially the generics.
  • Using anything as a crutch to get through your life does constitute an addiction, IMO. I think marijuana is addictive in the psychological sense, as in one might think they need to be high. But it has zero physical withdrawal sypmtoms, that I'm aware of. I also don't know the long term effects of it on brain chemistry though.  I don't think there's been enough research on it because criminalizing it pretty much halted any research.
  • Do we handle drug crimes correctly?  No

Would you decriminalize certain drugs?  Yes, probably all of them

What would be a better deterrant?  Decriminalizing drug use + education about their effects

Do you judge people with a history of drug use?  Sure, if you're stupid enough to put a needle in your arm, I think you're stupid ;)
  • Expat, you'd decriminal meth, PCP, heroin?  I'm interested in why.  Not trying to pick on you, just curious as to what your reasoning would be behind decriminalizing the more "dangerous" drugs.
  • About Mexico, the States, and drugs...

The Mexican drug market is nearly all in the States.  Mexicans don't use drugs to the same extent that Americans do.  It's considered extremely low-class and dirty so drugs are barely even used on college campuses...

This is why I find it ridiculous when people blame Mexico for our drug problems.  No demand for drugs = no drug trade.  All of our efforts to control substance abuse in the States obviously aren't working because people are still using drugs.

The criminalization of drugs in the States just helps fuel a dangerous drug trade.  Thousand of people die each year in both countries due to cartel violence, turf wars, etc.  I wish drugs would be legalized, taxed, and controlled like alcohol sales.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards