Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Not allowed to taste food at reception

I scheduled my food tasting at my reception site and told the manager which items I wanted to taste.  He responded and said they don't do tasings for the prime rib, crown roast or duck. I understand that they would have to make a whole roast but how is anyone supposed to taste it. I'm really frustrated because I can't spend $30pp on food if I dont' know what I'm paying for.
Am I overreacting?

Re: Not allowed to taste food at reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So will you be tasting items not being served at the reception?

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand where they are coming from. Our caterer made the prime rib for us but explained that it's hard to cook just one piece. We understood that it wasn't going to be as perfect as they usually cook it but we wanted to try it anyways so they made it. I think that you should press trying at least one. Usually you can trust the food if the other choices are good.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe they should do a group tasting. Jungle Jim's does that.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not overreacting.  Our caterer made EVERYTHING we asked them to make, whether it was difficult to prepare in smaller portions or not.  Since the food at the reception is such a significant percentage of the overall wedding budget, I think it's unreasonable for them to expect you to pay for the main entrees if you have not tried them yourself.  They must need to prepare it for some other event on a date in the near future - maybe they can tell you when they will have the menu items available based on their event schedule?  If they refused to find a way to make it happen, I would consider it a dealbreaker...just my opinion.  Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk to them about doing a tasting before an event that will have these items. I can see with all of those meats it would be hard to set up a tasting portion. Where is your venue. I am surprised that they will serve duck for 30pp. Just my opinion. Good luck and hopefully they work it out for you/
  • Options
    tyresa141tyresa141 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think your over reacting, they should find away to fill your request. I am interested in your venue, 30pp sounds great I am paying 52pp Can you tell me where this is?
  • Options
    swiechkswiechk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's at a local country club. I don't want to bad mouth them by giving their name.  I raised a little bit of fuss and he offered to let me attend a members only dinner.  I'm still a little apprehensive becuase I wasn't told about this stipulation when I gave my deposit.  In hindsight, I would've scheduled a tasting before I have a deposit.  Thanks for the advice guys!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards