Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR Apartment advice, WWED?

Hey E ladies! I'm a reg on NEY, but I thought I would come over here and ask my question.

FI and I just moved into a new apartment complex a week and a half ago. The unit is infested with roaches, the little filthy ones. It's a pretty serious infestation, from babies to adults and they're everywhere. I have written documentation that action was to have been taken last Monday, signed by both parties. 

Besides maintenance dropping off some foggers, nothing has been done. I was promised an exterminator would come out last week, but as far as I know, nothing happened. I am starting to get sick from all of the droppings and the roaches are just getting bigger, not deader. I have gone through two cans of Raid personally. 

Now, my question is this: FI loves the apartment. He is so excited to be living in a bigger place where he has a media room and our dog and cats have a place to actually play. I really really don't want to live there anymore. Texas law states I can move if there is a roach infestation and management is aware. I plan to take the final steps this week. I'm also planning to ask to move into a different unit without roaches as well as getting a discount on my rent. I just don't want to break FI's heart if we do have to move to a different complex. What would you do in this situation? It's putting so much stress on FI and I. 
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?

• A big apartment is not worth putting up with roaches.  Gross.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • For me, my health and cleanliness would not be worth a media room.  I would just be cautious of moving to a different unit because it may be a complex issue, not just one apartmnet. 
    imageVacation
  • I wouldn't have spent 1 night there!  I would go with everything beach says.
  • Bug infestations can be awful! If they did fix the problem, would you still be comfortable living there? My last apartment was infested with bed bugs. I live there for several months without knowing it. It was a HORRIBLE and expensive experience. I did everything to get rid of them and finally moved to my new apartment last November. I still check my bed every morning and it's been almost nine months since I've seen one. I think with an infestation that bad, it wouldn't just be in your apartment, it would be in the whole building. I think I would always been looking for them and have trouble relaxing about it. BUT, as with any anecdote, it must be taken with a grain of salt. I am highly paranoid about any kind of blood sucking creature. So perhaps if I were in your position, I might not feel as strongly.
    I don't want to advocate moving but if management has been this lax, there's no guarantee the other buildings won't have the same or different issues.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I find it kind of disturbing that he's willing to live with that kind of roach infestation. 

I'd also take my animals and move out.  He can decide for himself if he wants to come with me or not.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:1dead872-aba0-4b74-9b8c-86114f7ce44c">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me, my health and cleanliness would not be worth a media room.  I would just be cautious of moving to a different unit because it may be a complex issue, not just one apartmnet. 
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

This. I think I would be nervous about even staying in the complex, what if it's not just the one apartment?
  • I'd move. I'd point out to FI that roaches present potential medical issues for the pets and you. I'd point out that having a bigger place that is unlivable by law is worse than having a clean place that's smaller.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with PP -- I would DEFINITELY not move to another unit in the same complex.  That infestation will be throughout all units, and if management is unresponsive and unwilling to work with you now, it won't be any different in another unit.

Roaches pose serious health problems.  I would get out of there ASAP.  And I agree that the complex needs to pay to have all of your belongings bombed and for any moving costs that are inquired due to their negligence.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the honesty.

I was out of town all last week and was hoping when I came home the issue would be taken care of, but it hasn't. Management swore up and down that no one else has come to them with a roach issue, which I'm finding harder and harder to believe. 

In all transparency here, I haven't told FI I'm getting sick, but I know that when I do, he'll be on board with moving. We both hate when I'm sick. 

I just don't want to pack everything up again. Boo. But y'all are all right, of course. I guess I knew the obvious answer when I posted, but it helps to get an outside opinion. 

Do I have any legal rights to make them pay for my moving expenses? It was only two weeks ago that I dropped $100 on moving stuff, not to mention my deposit and rent. 

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:79a50a38-021a-406e-bbe6-3f1ea5ca5bbb">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the honesty. I was out of town all last week and was hoping when I came home the issue would be taken care of, but it hasn't. Management swore up and down that no one else has come to them with a roach issue, which I'm finding harder and harder to believe.  In all transparency here, I haven't told FI I'm getting sick, but I know that when I do, he'll be on board with moving. We both hate when I'm sick.  I just don't want to pack everything up again. Boo. But y'all are all right, of course. I guess I knew the obvious answer when I posted, but it helps to get an outside opinion.  Do I have any legal rights to make them pay for my moving expenses? It was only two weeks ago that I dropped $100 on moving stuff, not to mention my deposit and rent. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

I think so, I think you at the very least get your deposit back and your rent check back.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:24a87b0f-5a38-4ba5-bc94-10d2c1823691">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would look into it.  I would think you'd be able to get at least deposit and rent back.  <strong>Unless of course you guys brought in the roaches.</strong>
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>Yea, that didn't happen. I didn't have a single roach in my old apartment and my friends that helped me move saw a couple before we even brought boxes inside. They didn't say anything because it was just one roach, but they didn't say anything to each other, so I didn't know they saw two. When I came home that first night, I turned on the lights and they were fvcking everywhere. The walls, the cieling, the floor, the carpet. Babies, adolecents, adults, everything.</div>

• We dealt with this problem when we first moved to DC.  I wouldnt call it an infestation, but we would find all kinds of bugs in the "condo" (aka run down apartment).  The landlady told us that "all apartments in DC have roaches, the buildings are all so old" and we ended up breaking the lease after months of trying to get them to fix the bug problem as well as other issues.  We gave up our security deposit, and moving was stressful, but once we were in the new apartment, it was SUCH a relief.  Good luck, and just be careful packing to make sure you dont carry any creepy crawly friends with you if you do move.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:1e39b8b0-5f73-40e7-affe-c7b060751e7a">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]K, I'm getting skeeved out.  I can't believe you stayed there that first night.  I'd be in a hotel. The bring them yourself thing was a bit tongue in cheek.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>I realized I sounded much more hostile than I actually was. Oops. </div><div>
    </div><div>I was on a trip with my students last week and I'm leaving again on Sunday to be gone for another week. I wish I had the money for a hotel. A lot of friends are offering to let me stay with them and I'm thinking about taking them up on it. </div><div>
    </div><div>What would be the best way to pack to prevent my "roommates" from coming with me?</div>

• aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I saw one in my bathroom once and about died. We've had other bugs like some spiders and the like, but a true infestation like that is a huge issue. It's impossble to say what recourse you have -- my gut says that TX tenant laws are likely pretty landlord friendly, but your full deposit should be the absolute minimum you are willing to receive back.

Make sure any and all communication with the apartment complex is now done via Certified Mail and be sure to take pictures.
    Lizzie
  • I would think you have all legal right to move out - I'm not sure how much refund/compensation the apartment would be responsible for (as I'm sure it depends on Texas and local laws, ya know?)

Also, roaches can carry E coli and all sorts of nasty gastrointestinal bugs - I'd be seriously paranoid about cooking in your apartment...and if I were your friend, I wouldn't eat anything you cooked until you moved out.  There's a reason I don't usually eat random people's foods at potlucks, lol.  Being a biologist sucks in real life :)

Good luck.  And bring your FI to this page!  He'll quickly realize it's time to move out.  He can get a media room in a new apartment :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:71bcd8f1-4022-4f02-8edd-5a7f7f73b2b1">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would absolutely pack the boxes/bags outside of the apt.  And then bring them directly to a friend's house.  I might be inclined to ditch the fruniture, but that depends on how spendy any of it was.  Move methodically but quickly.  Make sure to double check everything before putting it in a box, but do it as quickly as possible to get out of there.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion.

I'm struggling with how your FI is okay with living with all the extra roomates.

I'd have pitched A GIANTFUCKINGDIVAFIT the first night and insisted on staying at a hotel. Roaches freak me the fuuuuuuuuuuuck out. (and that needed that many uuuuus even if TK didn't make me do it.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:74175d7c-9514-4223-b45c-79fd22d18a83">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED? : Good suggestion. I'm struggling with how your FI is okay with living with all the extra roomates. I'd have pitched A GIANTFUCKINGDIVAFIT the first night and insisted on staying at a hotel. Roaches freak me the fuuuuuuuuuuuck out. (and that needed that many uuuuus even if TK didn't make me do it.)
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I couldn't have lasted through that first night. We had ants at our house and I was at Walmart at midnight getting Ortho Home Defense.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:b62e43c7-6f72-48c4-a3ef-a6423ee4e2ec">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Muni, why don't we live near each other?  I feel we would be super awesome BFFs IRL.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

True story.  We could drink beer and let my husband feed us.  It'd be awe.some.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:97468c87-3f65-4422-8d82-1a1eab2629e7">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would think you have all legal right to move out - I'm not sure how much refund/compensation the apartment would be responsible for (as I'm sure it depends on Texas and local laws, ya know?) Also, roaches can carry E coli and all sorts of nasty gastrointestinal bugs -<strong> I'd be seriously paranoid about cooking in your apartment</strong>...and if I were your friend, I wouldn't eat anything you cooked until you moved out.  There's a reason I don't usually eat random people's foods at potlucks, lol.  Being a biologist sucks in real life :) Good luck.  And bring your FI to this page!  He'll quickly realize it's time to move out.  He can get a media room in a new apartment :)
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, I am. I haven't cooked since I moved in because of the roaches. </div><div>
    </div><div>The first night, I went out and bought a can of raid and spray thed fvck out of the place. I also bought roach bait traps and sh!t and put those out. They haven't made much of a difference either. I've gone through two cans of raid and a pack of foggers. The only things that's happened is there are more adult ones than there were before. Fvckin sweet. </div><div>
    </div><div>The complex swears they never had a complaint. The girl that used to live in my apartment even transferred to another unit on site and didn't say anything. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm on my way to the management office. Hopefully I can get some stuff sorted out. 

</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:cbb1a2c9-1380-4683-86aa-efdd16165cf8">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED? : Oh, I am. I haven't cooked since I moved in because of the roaches.  The first night, I went out and bought a can of raid and spray thed fvck out of the place. I also bought roach bait traps and sh!t and put those out. They haven't made much of a difference either. I've gone through two cans of raid and a pack of foggers. The only things that's happened is there are more adult ones than there were before. Fvckin sweet.  The complex swears they never had a complaint. The girl that used to live in my apartment even transferred to another unit on site and didn't say anything.  I'm on my way to the management office. Hopefully I can get some stuff sorted out. 

Good luck! I hope that you can reach some sort of agreement and you don't stay there any longer than you have to.
  • I would move...like yesterday. 
    I just got done battling out with my apartment complex, so the best advice I can give you is to get everything in writing. Even if it doesn't seem like it's important or if you think you can trust the manager. 
    Also, most apartment complexes are run by a management company. If the on-site management isn't being helpful to you, it might be worth a call up the chain.
    Not sure if this will really help you.

• seesawgirlseesawgirl member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:e64ad1b5-6d08-4538-b812-63006c827ed3">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED? : I realized I sounded much more hostile than I actually was. Oops.  I was on a trip with my students last week and I'm leaving again on Sunday to be gone for another week. I wish I had the money for a hotel. A lot of friends are offering to let me stay with them and I'm thinking about taking them up on it.  What would be the best way to pack to prevent my "roommates" from coming with me?

Line your moving boxes with boric acid, roaches hate it.

ETA:
    Also, as tempted as you may be to re-use the packing materials that you just moved with, do not try it. Roaches LOVE cardboard boxes, especially the corrugated kind, because they can hide in all of those inner folds, and you'll never see them.

Get new boxes, and don't even bring them into the house until you have coated the inside with boric acid. Shake out any books, magazines, etc, toss out any paper bags, shake out your DVD cases. If you have a computer, take the housing off of it, and vacuum or at least use a can of air on the inside of it, put it back together, and then immediately take it outside. Roaches love computers, because of the warmth.

Then after you move, you need to bomb your new place, just in case you have any Houdini roaches hitching a ride with you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:e64ad1b5-6d08-4538-b812-63006c827ed3">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED? : I realized I sounded much more hostile than I actually was. Oops.  I was on a trip with my students last week and I'm leaving again on Sunday to be gone for another week. I wish I had the money for a hotel. A lot of friends are offering to let me stay with them and I'm thinking about taking them up on it. <strong> What would be the best way to pack to prevent my "roommates" from coming with me?</strong>
    <p class="MsoNormal">Like others have said, if it’s in your apartment, it’s in others. My grandfather lives in a senior building & although he is absolutely meticulous about cleaning to the point of OCD, he still occasionally gets some & has to be exterminated. All it takes is 1 dirty person in a building. They travel through the walls. My grandpa makes a solution of water & boric acid, and then drips it on the perimeter of the floors all around the place to keep them from coming in. Seems to help. You need to get out of there. </p> <p class="MsoNormal"> </p> <span style="font-size:12pt;">To prevent taking any with you, I’d wash & fold your clothes at the Laundromat, then immediately wrap them in plastic bags. Store them in your car, rather than in your apartment.</span>
  • Please let us know what happened.  I completely understand not living in bugs.  We saw ONE flea the other day and bombed the apartment.  We usually get a few when they do work outside, which they have been, but I didn't care.  I wanted to make sure our place was the LEAST flea friendly of all.  So, you are by NO means over reacting.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:e42eed33-73f4-4b91-9c7c-3660d1e655f5">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please let us know what happened.  I completely understand not living in bugs.  <strong>We saw ONE flea the other day and bombed the apartment. </strong> We usually get a few when they do work outside, which they have been, but I didn't care.  I wanted to make sure our place was the LEAST flea friendly of all.<strong>  So, you are by NO means over reacting.</strong>
    Posted by lauraanne9[/QUOTE]
    This. 
    I would always spray and then give the dog a couple of flea baths. All for one flea.
  • That stinks that you are going through this.  If I were you, I would follow the procedure in the link crash posted, because that is the procedure to get out of a lease under Texas landlord-tenant law when the landlord will not remedy a situation that affects health and safety (if there are as many roaches as you say, this definitely meets that bar). 

I would also probably call their corporate office if you don't get results immediately from visiting the office today.  FWIW, most landlords I have dealt with take advantage of tenants because they assume people don't know their rights.  If you can get someone from the corporate office on the phone, they will take you much more seriously that the local manager will. 

Also, take pictures and make sure everything is in writing.

Good luck.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:e64ad1b5-6d08-4538-b812-63006c827ed3">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED? : I realized I sounded much more hostile than I actually was. Oops.  I was on a trip with my students last week and I'm leaving again on Sunday to be gone for another week. I wish I had the money for a hotel. A lot of friends are offering to let me stay with them and I'm thinking about taking them up on it.  What would be the best way to pack to prevent my "roommates" from coming with me?

I had bedbugs about 7 years ago and I refused to sleep there until the management did somethin about it.  I did have a note from my dermatoloist confirming that the rashes on my legs and back were bedbug bites.

The management's exterminator failed to get rid of them so I hired my own.  At that time there was a huge problem all over NYC.  Pylethium is the chemical they sprayed the entire apartment with and closed it up for 48 hours.  Then all the blankets, rugs, etc. had to be drycleaned and everything else washed.  They had to pay for all of it.

I don't know Texas law at all but here the landlord is responsible to make you "whole".
  • audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    So, here's my update. I'm not super happy.

Pros: I got in writing that I can hold my rent check until Saturday and rent will be owed dependent on the problem being fixed. 

Cons: the assinine lady told me that the exterminators came on Friday but didn't spray my apartment because my building wasn't on the schedule and it would be an extra charge to have them come out and spray my unit. 

WTF. I just got off the phone with the head of the apartment. She told me that she ordered the exterminator to come on Friday, so I lost it. Now she's on the phone with them to get a rush on it and have them come out tomorrow. I'm livid. 

• You might want to call a lawyer.  I would.  It is Monday.  They can't make you live in an unhealthy environment until Friday. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-apartment-advice-wwed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b897a2e3-11ee-4469-856c-c66c4345e3acPost:4e86346f-b1e7-48fd-80a0-09f940991e79">Re: NWR Apartment advice, WWED?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might want to call a lawyer.  I would.  It is Monday.  They can't make you live in an unhealthy environment until Friday. 
    Posted by nextrightthing[/QUOTE]

<div>I yelled at her and I'm not a yelling person. The exterminator is going to come tomorrow morning. Now instead of unpacking my apartment like I wanted to tonight, I'm going to be packing it all back up again. Wee.</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards