Second Weddings

2ND WEDDING FOR BOTH OF US

He had an actual wedding, I eloped.  Want to plan a wedding this time.  Is it acceptable to go to the wedding shows for ideas and to have a shower?  I never had any of this the first time.

Re: 2ND WEDDING FOR BOTH OF US

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, One more time, everybody sing with me now:  You had an ACTUAL wedding, even if you didn't have a big party.  Read the post  about what Miss Manners said about this, below. 

However, all that aside, yes, it's Ok to have a shower, go to the wedding shows, etc.  But remember that you don't throw your own shower, that's done by someone close to you. 

As an aside: I went to a wedding show, was obviously one of the oldest brides there.  HA!  But then I decided that I wanted to do things a bit differently.  But I'm still married, even though my DH and I had our beach wedding with just us and the officiant. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    That's why it's called  second wedding, because you had a first one. 
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's ok. I am having a second wedding so maybe I am biased.

I think it's fine to do a full second wedding when you are marrying a different man or woman.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I are both 2nd marriages.  He had a big wedding the first time, I had a very small home ceremony.  We are having a church wedding and cocktail hour style reception at the church then will go have a dinner celebration with our kids and parents. 
    As far as shower-never had one myself but many of my friends from church have asked to have a bridal tea.  I think it will be fun. 
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely it's ok to attend wedding shows, and if family or friends want to through a shower to support you and your FI.. well that's just great too :)   I just had my second wedding in June...  I made sure I didn't fall into the 'it's my second wedding therefore I can't....' trap.  I wore a white wedding gown, a veil, we had flower girls, 70 of our closest friends and family there to celebrate with us, a huge feast and tons of laughs... it was a magical day and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

This might not be your first go-round at marriage, but hopefully this will be your last. Celebrate your new love however you wish :)
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can have whatever sort of wedding you want. Large, small, casual, formal, church, chapel, JOP, beach, whatever makes you happy.

I went to a wedding show with my daughter and fiance..........they thought my DAUGHTER was the bride....oh my. THAT was a real slap of reality! But do whatever makes you both happy. You should plan a wedding that fits your budget, beliefs, and how you see yourselves on that day.

Welcome, congrats, and good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    Just about every bridal shop thought I was the mother of the bride even when I was with my sister, my MOH.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • clp01usaclp01usa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Go to the wedding shows and enjoy!  It's fun to see all the new ideas and get caught up in the excitement and joy. You want to see what's available.  Call it a fact-finding mission.  Wish I hadn't missed all of them myself, it would be fun this time around. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards