Just Engaged and Proposals

Ring question from a guy

I am not sure when I am going to propose but I bought a ring and am now have second thoughts on the ring. I know she wanted a princess cut, platinum ring thats not too simple but thats about it. I just wanted some of opinions of it from the ladies on here. Do you think the band is too wide? Overall what do you think of it?

Re: Ring question from a guy

• that's gorgeous and elaborate. it seems to follow the only guidelines she gave you, so she's gotta love it!

Are we there yet? Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • it is beautiful :) I think she will be happy that you picked it out yourself... don't doubt yourself and remember why you chose it in the firts place
  • Such a pretty ring! The details and great and I am sure it sparkles like crazy! Haha! :) She will love the fact that you picked it out yourself. I think you followed what she said well. Good luck!
  • I think it's beyond gorgeous, but I'm way partial to channel set emeral cut stones. It's blingy and elaborate, but that's not a bad thing at all. I think she'll love it. Come back and let us know when you propose!
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • That's... totally not my style.  It's waaay too much.  How are you going to put a wedding band with it?  You can't. 

BUT it's not about me and random people opinions, it's about you and her!
  • That's gorgeous!  and as it's been said, follows the guidelines given.  Have you bought it yet?  Perhaps going shopping w/ her just to get an idea might be a good idea... if y'all have been talking about it.. then it couldn't hurt.  you can tell her your not ready yet, but as a fun "side trip" just stop into a place...But if you're going for total shock and awe surprise... you've got it!  CONGRATS  on making that big decision!
  • not my style, but its not for me. but it looks like you followed what little she told you. So be confident in your decision!

• It's very pretty! Definitely not something I would want... but like PPs said, it's for YOUR girl! And it does follow the guidelines she gave you to a tee.

She will be so proud of you for picking this out yourself -- good luck!!

And re: finding a wedding band to go with it... there is no rule that says she will have to wear her wedding band on the same finger. I think adding another layer/ring to that would take away from the beauty. I considered the option of moving my diamond to my right hand, and wearing the band on my left. But in the end - I've scrapped the whole idea of a 2nd ring! My diamond is just too perfect! It's the only ring I'm getting. So that will be entirely up to the two of you.
  • I would definitely ask her. We can debate all day whether or not we like the ring (I personally think it is way to much, but I am simple like that) but you need to make sure she likes it too.

Kudos to you though for being proactive and asking around. You seem very sweet :)
  • I would at least ask if she wants to wear a band with her ring. If you guys have already been talking about ring styles, this shouldn't ruin the surprise or anything. You could always get a friend of hers to ask sneakily if you'd rather not bring it up yourself.I know some girls who don't wear a band or wear band and e-ring on different fingers, but personally I would never want to do that, and I think it's important to consider when shopping for the e-ring.

Other than that potential issue, this style seems like something that goes along with what she wants.
  • Just as long are her fingers aren't too small, it should look great!  Congrats!
  • About the band being too wide...if she has small fingers, it might be overwhelming on her. My size is a 3.75 and any 3 stone rings or very ornate ring looked rediculous on me.I know my finger is smaller than average, but if she does have small hands it's worth considering.

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • have you talked to her best friend? sister? girls tell each other everything, so her girlfriends are totally clued in to what she wants. i wont quote sex and the city here, but i bet the other ladies know what i am referring to lol
    that said, the ring seems to meet her requirements, so i wouldnt worry.
    that being said, CONGRATS! what a wonderfullly huge leap forward in your relationship you will be taking!
    i congratulate you on being a man who is mature and confident in what he wants in life and being able to make that happen.
    all the luck in the world to the two of you and def keep us all posted on what happens!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The only thing I would add, is don't wait too long after buying the ring in case she doesn't like it.  You don't want the exchange/return period to be over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • as long as she doesn't have chubby fingers she should be fine with a wider band, but I agree with the PP's about whether she'll be wearing a wedding band as well, you could save the money and buy this style ring with a thinner band and put the money towards a matching wedding band.
  • Its beautiful...I feel that if she doesn't love it just because you gave it to her then maybe theres something a little wrong. To me the engagment ring is your choice. I know I gave my fiance a couple pointers, but he picked what he liked and I love it. Was it what I thought he would get, no, but thats makes it special. My ring isn't a traditional solitare. I have three princess cut stones and diamonds around the band....I had always showed him a single solitare....I would only stick with the cut she likes and you do the rest...you really can't go wrong, and like I said if she doesn't like it maybe she wont like others things either.....Also you can always upgrade and exchage the ring for another if she absolutly hates it.
  • Well I got some more info out of her. She doesn't want a wedding band but I think she wants a thinner more simple ring so I think I might go in another direction. Thanks for all of you help!
    I think I am looking at this one now
  • That is very pretty.  A few things to think about:

Do the diamonds go all the way around the band?  Some women complain that eternity bands hurt their fingers
    Can the ring be re-sized, ever?  II doubt your FIs ring size will always be wat it is today and with the diamonds on the profile too, it looks like re-sizing it may make them "pop" out.

My Sis also had an ornate ring and didn't wear a wedding band.  After two years of people asking her "when is the wedding", she had had enough and she now wears a wedding band. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would try to feel her out more on specifically what she wants as "not too simple" can be interpreted a hundred ways.  Maybe casually flip through magazines with pictures of rings and ask her if she likes/dislikes anything about them?  Are you opposed to browsing through a jewelry store with her and having her try some rings on?  I did that with DH before we were engaged, and it was a lot of fun - and it showed him exactly what I wanted.  Personally, the ring in your picture is not my taste whatsoever, but I would never want to hurt my FI's feelings and tell him that.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-question-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:e36273b2-059a-498e-9b79-c8c7c8edd0faPost:63d037e2-abc0-4266-ac5d-bb6ab052a5a4">Re: Ring question from a guy</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is very pretty.  A few things to think about: Do the diamonds go all the way around the band?  Some women complain that eternity bands hurt their fingers 
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

<div>To me, the picture looks like a channel set band which should be fine as far as comfort.  I absolutely love the look of pave set bands, but because of comfort issues, ultimately decided on channel set.  It is very comfortable - no discomfort at all, as the diamonds do not snag on fabric or rub against your skin.</div>
  • Could you surprise her with a trip to the jewellers? if you are really that worried that she won't like it (and I applaud the effort you are putting in, she is a very lucky girl) perhaps you could pick a few different ones and let her pick her favourite?

• It's a very beautiful ring, but I say that it depends on your girlfriend's hand.  Does she have small hands or are they a little bit bigger?  Smaller hands need a thinner band, but hands that are a bit bigger would work well with that ring.  You just don't want it to look too clunky
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • To me it's too much bling, but I'm not much of a jewelry person in the first place.  It really depends on what her style aesthetic is, because it is WOW, but it's not very delicate...  Does she like a lot of bling?  Does she like big/chunky jewelry?  If so, you've got it.  I think it's sweet you posted here, but really you should be surreptitiously asking her friends what they think, because it's 99% likely they will know her style and recognize whether it's something she'll like... Good luck!!
  • Love it. I have a thicker band too and may not put a wedding band with it. Not everyone puts a wedding band with the engagement ring.
  • Its different personally I think its a little to big... what type of band would u put with that and how big is that going to look on her finger if she has small fingers. To me the band looks as big as a mans wedding band which I dont like
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-question-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:e36273b2-059a-498e-9b79-c8c7c8edd0faPost:2decc3f0-52f6-4e88-b218-c96c22b99b6c">Re: Ring question from a guy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I got some more info out of her. She doesn't want a wedding band but I think she wants a thinner more simple ring so I think I might go in another direction. Thanks for all of you help! I think I am looking at this one now
    Posted by Ateamldr[/QUOTE]

My personal opinion, I like this one a LOT more than the first one.  As other posters stated, the first one was big and hard to have a band with it. She might change her mind in the future regarding a band. You could add one for your anniversary one year and when you go on vacation together she may not want to take the actual ring with her in case of theft or losing it.
  • I applaud your effort, but it's really her opinion that matters :). My FI and I went shopping before so I knew it was coming, but he waited a couple months between ordering and getting it so it was still definitely a surprise and I got what I wanted. Also, what I wanted from pictures was very different from what I LOVED when I tried them on. Your future FI might want something completely different when she actually tries it on vs. looking at pics.
    My BIL proposed to my sister with an empty jewelry box, down on one knee, everything, and then they went shopping together the next day so it was still a surprise, but she got exactly the ring she wanted. Either way, I'm sure she'll love whatever you decide to do and congrats in advance!
  • I don't get why people keep saying you should check with her about what she wants.  What happen to girls staying out of the engagement process.  In my opion girls shouldn't go and pick out their ring.  You can drop hints like your girlfriend did, but girls don't get to 'pick' the ring out.  I guess I'm just a little more traditional when it comes to engagments.  I think girls get too involved and are too pushy.  My FI designed and pick my ring out all by himslef.  :)
  • lovely! some women would dream of this kinda ring, I think you did just fine with her guidelines.
  • The second one is absolutely gorgeous! Do that one. Given what you've said about what she wants, it sounds like the second one is more her style.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards