Snarky Brides

moissanite ring question

Hi ladies, I know I've seen a few people talk about having moissanite rings and I was wondering if you could help me out with your experience. My bf and I are looking towards moissanite instead of diamond.

If you have one and would be willing to post a picture of it that would be great!
Are they clear like a good quality diamond or do they have a yellow tinge or anything to them?
What is your general opinion about them?
Have you used moissaniteco.com? I fell in love with a few rings on there but we are hesitant to order online, especially without seeing it in person first.

Thank you!
5/27/12

Re: moissanite ring question

• I have moissanite studs that I like. Some people like it, some don't. It just depends on what works for you and your budget really. Moissanite has little to no color and no inclusions. I have never heard of the website, but I prefer to look at my jewelry in person before buying it. We sold moissanite at the jewelry store that I worked at so that is where my experience with it is from.
  • I had a moissanite engagement ring in my previous relationship.

No one knew it was fake until I told them it was.
  • I don't know anything about moissanite, but I'd be super hesistant to order any jewelry online, even from a reputable, well known site. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • yeah i'm worried to order it online before seeing it. they do have a 30 day money back guarantee, but i'm still wary.
    5/27/12
  • MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    I have one.  It's almost colorless, in my opinion, except when it's next to real diamonds.  I tried on a diamond wedding band next to my e-ring, and it shocked me, lol. 

I love mine-- I told FI long before we were planning on being engaged that I don't like supporting the diamond industry, so he did well :)

I do have one of it on my finger, but I have to figure out what I did with it.  I'll post when I find it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• love that ring! yeah that is my issue as well. i'm very curious to see them in person, i think we'll have to do some research and find a place to view them at a jeweler or something.
    5/27/12
  • MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    Here's my webcam pic of the e-ring. I'm cheesy. 

My fiance ordered it online, because he couldn't find any in stores here that he thought I would like.  It turned out well, except I had to get it sized, and it ended up being sized really oddly. But I do love it!

• Last I checked JCPenneys fine jewelry department carries it. I am sure you can find other places, but that might be a place to check out, at least to look at it and learn a little more about it if anything.
  • AmitzahAmitzah member
    First Comment
    I avoided diamonds entirely and went with a ruby. I love it.
  • MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    Kayla, that's what we did before he got my ring.  I'd never seen it in person, so we went to JCPenney's and a couple of other places to see how the stones looked.  Once I decided I liked the stones themselves, he found the exact ring without my knowing.

But it's a good idea to go see them for yourself, for sure :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:5bb6e62b-9057-46be-a166-792bcc52967c">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's my webcam pic of the e-ring. I'm cheesy.  My fiance ordered it online, because he couldn't find any in stores here that he thought I would like.  It turned out well, except I had to get it sized, and it ended up being sized really oddly. But I do love it!
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]

haha it's very pretty! i found a picture online comparing a diamond and moissante and am very impressed. i

i'll have to check them out in person for sure!
    5/27/12
  • Also, he ordered my ring from moissaniteco.com. Had no problems if I recall.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:0c1dafc3-752b-4095-a658-fa227705066d">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kayla, that's what we did before he got my ring.  I'd never seen it in person, so we went to JCPenney's and a couple of other places to see how the stones looked.  Once I decided I liked the stones themselves, he found the exact ring without my knowing. But it's a good idea to go see them for yourself, for sure :)
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]

Nice. Your ring is really pretty!
  • I have a moissanite ering and band.  We ordered it off of moissaniteco.com.  There are quite a few other ladies on the boards that have gotten their rings from there.  I had a wonderful experience with that company, as well as the other ladies.  I would recommend them to anyone looking for moissanite jewelry.
    Here are a couple pics.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• My general opinion on them is very low. If you dont want a diamond then why would you get a ring that looks like a diamond and everyone is going to think is a diamond?

Im really judgey about them. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Blue...is it possible that it's because they don't agree with the diamond trade but can't afford a clean diamond. Frankly, I would rather people not support the blood diamond trade and if moissanite is how they can do it, so be it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:9487ba70-de5f-4406-b143-853c2f89f6ab">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue...is it possible that it's because they don't agree with the diamond trade but can't afford a clean diamond. Frankly, I would rather people not support the blood diamond trade and if moissanite is how they can do it, so be it.
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

Probably, but i judge that.  Mainly because, and again this is kind of an irrational judgement, I think its super deceptive.  Plus, they have become so popular that if you are somone who has a diamond above 2 carats, people assume its a moissanite and thats annoying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I don't know anything about moissanite, but I would like to say that both my e-ring and wedding ring were bought online. Both are diamond and very nice. They were good deals too (30% less than what he was seeing in jewelry stores for the same quality stone and platinum settings). E-ring came from Amazon, where DH designed it and picked the stone out separately, and the wedding band came from BrilliantEarth.com (conflict-free Canadian diamonds and recycled platinum). Both are very reputable sellers. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Honestly, I never considered this ... until now. Thanks for sharing! [:
  • Well I think that's sorta like saying "If you can't afford a diamond you don't get anything that looks like it"...not everybody can afford a diamond, let alone a clean one. 

The only reason your judgement irks me is because there are certain TK regs who freak out when people judge how much some one spends on their wedding (because it is supposedly too much) saying that it isn't fair to judge people for how they choose to spend their money. The same is kinda true here...just because someone wants to spend less to get the same 'look'? Meh, it seems petty to me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:fb8880d0-f05b-4c40-b3a4-16ee6f229985">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I think that's sorta like saying "If you can't afford a diamond you don't get anything that looks like it"...not everybody can afford a diamond, let alone a clean one.  The only reason your judgement irks me is because there are certain TK regs who freak out when people judge how much some one spends on their wedding (because it is supposedly too much) saying that it isn't fair to judge people for how they choose to spend their money. The same is kinda true here...just because someone wants to spend less to get the same 'look'? Meh, it seems petty to me. 
    I read her point to be this: If you are actually opposed to the diamond trade (and not the price of a diamond), why would you get a stone that is easily mistaken for a diamond? If you are that opposed, pick another stone that shows that you aren't a slave to the world's current diamond obsession. But that's just what I got out of it. To me, its the same logic I apply when I say people are crazy for saying that they don't support the leather trade, but they buy synthetic leather shoes  that look like leather...or they don't support he fur trade so they wear fake fur. If you want to make a statement, make a statement. <div>
    </div><div>However, if you want the look of a diamond and the cost it what is prohibiting it, then by all means pick a lab created one. I don't care. But don't say you picked it because you are opposed to the diamond trade. That seems a little hypocritical to me. </div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:fb8880d0-f05b-4c40-b3a4-16ee6f229985">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I think that's sorta like saying "If you can't afford a diamond you don't get anything that looks like it"...not everybody can afford a diamond, let alone a clean one.  The only reason your judgement irks me is because there are certain TK regs who freak out when people judge how much some one spends on their wedding (because it is supposedly too much) saying that it isn't fair to judge people for how they choose to spend their money. The same is kinda true here...just because someone wants to spend less to get the same 'look'? Meh, it seems petty to me. 

What do you mean a clean one?  A moissanite is not a diamond so I dont see the comparison.

I dont judge the stone because people cant afford a diamond, I judge it because I am not a fan of fake things.  I dont care what people do with their money, this is just the reason why I personally am not a fan of them.  I didnt say people shouldnt buy them, I said I dont like them.  There is a difference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • And I should be clear on my own feelings: my engagement ring (and wedding band) is a family heirloom...and probably a dirty diamond considering how old it is (and it isn't huge, about a carat and it is flawed - huge scratch in it!).  However, had I not been receiving that ring as a result of my mother's passing I would have not had a diamond or moissanite ring either. I am not a huge fans of diamonds or anything that looks like diamonds, mostly because of the cost associated to them. I would have been more likely to have a gemstone ring or have just worn a band. 

But I wouldn't care if someone has a moissanite ring.  And frankly as for it looking different than a real diamond...my ring doesn't look the same next to other rings because it is so old it is cut differently than they are today. Different cuts, colours, etc...look different, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Or what Sarah just said.

And to go off of that, if you are opposed to the diamond trade and buy a moissanite, I wonder how many girls tell people its not a diamond and why they didnt want a diamond?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get Sarah's point. If someone really had a problem with diamonds as a whole, why would they want a ring that looked like a diamond? If they had a problem with blood diamonds I could understand why they would get a moissanite ring. But then again, even if someone has a moissanite ring and lied and said it was a diamond, I wouldn't really care. I think it's silly, because it's just a ring/stone, but I wouldn't judge it per se. 
  • I don't have a moissanite ring, but a friend of mine ordered one online and it looked terrible when she got it. She did a little more research and found another place where she could go and see them in person. She picked one of the light greenish colored stones and it's beautiful. She didn't like the diamond looking ones because she said they were pretty obviously fake looking. Sounds like you've got some good feedback about that site here, but I still say make sure you do some research and check them out in person. Good luck and congrats on getting engaged soon.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You dont judge it, I do.  I dont think its a big deal.  I also judge fake designer bags as well and others dont.  I dont think its the end of the world.  Just a personal preference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I don't think liking the look of fur/leather or a diamond but not wanting to contribute to killing animals or the violence of the diamond trade is hypocritical.  Buying fake fur keeps money out of the hands of the mink trade just as buying a conflict-free diamond or a fake diamond keeps money out of the hands of certain diamond mines.  What's wrong with that?  I don't understand how that's hypocritical.

If the person's argument that diamonds are just stones whose value was inflated by DeBeers then I see how wearing a fake diamond undermines the argument.  I don't put much stock in that argument though since you can say the same thing about any good.  The same can be said about gold or platinum or mink or silk or a pet rock or whatever.

ETA: For people who have moissanite jewelry, do you admit that it is moissanite if someone asks?  I'm just wondering.  My e-ring is a real diamond, but I have sizable stud earrrings that are CZ.  If anyone asks I would tell them the earrings are CZ, and I'm not ashamed of it.

Blue, I also think fake designer bags are lame.  I am talking about the ones that have the designer logos on them or ones that are clearly trying to be a certain designer's signature look.  That seems like a lie to me. It's a slippery slope though right because fashion at the mass production level is full of looks that are "inspired by" or are knocks off of another.  If I buy a dress at Bebe that is similar to a Gucci dress, is that lame?  I don't think so because I'm not trying to pretend that it's the Gucci dress (unless it has the Gucci logo or something).  Maybe I'm being hypocritical here though.  What do you guys think of this?

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moissanite-ring-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:444563e0-87db-4857-adbb-f42a230a344aPost:cb95aa9c-16f7-41e5-9211-9cfc15903ed8">Re: moissanite ring question</a>:
    [QUOTE]You dont judge it, I do.  I dont think its a big deal.  I also judge fake designer bags as well and others dont.  I dont think its the end of the world.  Just a personal preference.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Blue. I don't get the purpose of trying to pass something off as authentic when it is not whether it be jewelry, purses, sunglasses, clothing etc. There's nothing wrong with not having the "in" items, so why pretend like you do, if you actually don't?

ETA: If you own up to having fakes, costume jewelry, etc I think it's fine. Well with the exception of total knock off handbags with the designer logo plastered all over them, I really just don't get the point.

Photobucket
  • If you like white stones, but hate blood diamonds, then what do you do? Some people aren't trying to make a statement, but they're not into supporting a bad industry, either. I'm not out to tell the world that the diamond industry breaks my heart or that I want to be less depenedent on gas/oil. But I do have a clean diamond and I drive a car that gets 37-40 mpg. These aren't statements I'm trying to make. It's just the buying decision FI and I made.

I don't like color stones for engagement rings. If DH had bought a moissanite vs. a clean diamond, I would have been fine with that. I don't know any other options for wanting a white stone wedding set, do you? OP, just be sure you love it when it arrives, and take advantage of the 30day return policy if you aren't happy with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards