Registry and Gift Forum

What do I register for?

Having seen many duly chastised on here for the idea of a honeymoon registry, I have decided to forego that for our wedding, but I am at a loss of what to register for. My fiance' and I both had homes to begin with which we have already merged together, and we don't need a thing...let alone cabinet space to put anything in. Should I forego a registry entirely?

Re: What do I register for?

• Seriously, do not neglect the idea of a HR just because what you see on here. We are doing a HR and our friends and family are fully supportive of the idea! We have a cruise booked and have registered via royal carribbean for items like photo packages, drink packages, massages, etc. If you already have your HM booked see if there's something like that available that way you aren't directly asking for money, which seems to be what eveyrone around here gets their panties in a bunch for. But honestly, I see nothing wrong with the HR... times are changing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I lived together for over 7 years before marrying.  I had a notepad that I wrote things down on while cleaning and cooking.  I wrote down things to upgrade (guests towels, sheets, new picture frames) and things that could make life easier (small whisk, hand grater, stand/emersion mixer, hand vac).  Do this for one month and you'll be surprised what you come up with. 

If you don't come up with much then it's ok to tell your guests you're saving for ______ when they ask what you really want.  Guests know how to write a check if they want to give cash.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Just looked over our registries FAQ, nobody will be cutting us a check. Bummer I really wanted to rub salt in the wounds of my guest and not get the wonderful additions to our HM that they may give us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:715166fb-bbde-42ca-9c8e-e228cc40b81ePost:fd3c1dc5-b022-4749-b3ac-2ef6315a31b5">Re: What do I register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just looked over our registries FAQ, nobody will be cutting us a check. Bummer I really wanted to rub salt in the wounds of my guest and not get the wonderful additions to our HM that they may give us.
    Posted by Kokes28[/QUOTE]
    I remember your post about your HM registry and pp might not have been involved in that thread.  Your registry is different than most, probably because it's through the cruise company.  The majority of 3rd party HM registries charge a fee that your guests may be unaware of and then just give the B&G the rest of the money (i.e. Guest gives $100, HM registry takes 10%, B&G only receive $90 of the gift).  The B&G don't get the actual gift (show tickets, activity packages) that they say they're registring for, only a portion of the money the guest gives.  That's why a lot of people don't like the idea of HM registries.  It usually better for the guest to just write the check to the B&G directly.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-55?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:715166fb-bbde-42ca-9c8e-e228cc40b81ePost:d30a7249-d9c1-42b3-9c19-a0dd613e0a08">Re: What do I register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I lived together for over 7 years before marrying.  I had a notepad that I wrote things down on while cleaning and cooking.  I wrote down things to upgrade (guests towels, sheets, new picture frames) and things that could make life easier (small whisk, hand grater, stand/emersion mixer, hand vac).  Do this for one month and you'll be surprised what you come up with.  If you don't come up with much then it's ok to tell your guests you're saving for ______ when they ask what you really want.  Guests know how to write a check if they want to give cash.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited January 2012

A friend had lived with her fiance for a few years before getting married and she used these poems.  She has passed them onto me and my fiance and I are using them as well.  We do not need anything for the house so we are not doing a traditional registry. We included the 1st poem on out wedding website and will include it in our invitations and the 2nd poem goes on a table next to a tree with bare branches and little green envelopes to "make the branches bloom"

Poem for Invite

We hope that you will join us
    on this our special day
    To celebrate our union
    in a very special way

To make it easy for you
    and avoid a shopping spree
    We thought that we would have instead
    a little money tree

Because we've been together,
    for a little while now
    We have collected all our household things
    before we took our vows

An envelope will be provided
    for you to bless our tree
    no name is required for each gift
    as anonymity is the key!

So please don't be offended
    at our new type of request
    Just telling everyone our wish
    has really put us to the test!

Poem for Money Tree Table, place next to envelope's

I'm just a little money tree
    With lots of branches bare as can be!
    But you can make my branches bloom
    with good things for the bride and groom!

Please take your gift and give me leaves
    To make my branches full and green!
    For the newlyweds Ill be a blessing
    Ill give them all their nest is missing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards