Snarky Brides
Options

My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...

2»

Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...

• Options
    That's horrible.  I second sending her a BMI chart with where you are circled, but I'm passive-aggressive like that.
  • Options
    Wow, if 5'8" and 140 lbs is fat then 99% of people are obese. Even if you were 3 feet tall and weighed 500 lbs, her words would still be inexcusable
  • Options
    I'm 5'4 and around 195lbs. I gained 20 pounds in the last year because of medicine I was on. I would LOVE to be 140lbs. You're NOT fat and if you ever feel you are, please know there are MANY of us girls out there that wish we could be your size.
  • Options
    My nana once told me (after kicking back a few Irish Coffees... minus the coffee) that when she got married, she was skinny. Then she had kids, and became a whale. When my mother was married, she was skinny. Then she had kids and became a whale. She told me to enjoy it now, because once I kick out some kids, I will join the fatty club with her and my mom. 

Gee. Thanks Nana.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I would not be apologizing, in fact I would probably go all passive aggressive bitch and refuse to eat in my family's presence, then go "Well grandma did say I need to lose some weight, so I've stopped eating completely. Hopefully I won't die before my wedding".
    5'8 and 140 is below the "average", so you are just fine.

My college roomie was 6'1 and weighed 140. An ex told her she was fat so she stopped eating. She was down to 125 before I convinced her to see help. Why don't people realize that saying someone is fat or gained weight has consequences?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My mom had a great aunt who used to tell her, "You look like you put on a little weigh," EVERY time she saw her. Even if she hadn't. And I must say, none of the women in my mom's family were exactly toothpicks themselves. (This great aunt was the oldest of 7 children and my mom's grandmother once said, "I think she would have been happier if the rest of us had never been born.")

And I'll throw my hat into the I'm -5'5"-and-wish-I-weighed-140 club.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I would say, well if i'm that fat granny guess there won't be any room for you at the wedding.  And by the way, I almost gasped when I saw how old and crotchity you are looking! seriously grandma, ever hear of botox???
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • Options
    I'm 5'8", and I hope I can reach my goal weight of 145 before the wedding.  I weighed 140 when I was 18, and I was super skinny.  In fact, the gym teacher thought I had an eating disorder.
    Tell grandma to kiss your skinny ass.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My grandmother asked my mom if I was actually thinking of wearing white at my wedding.  When my mother said yes, she just said "Really?"  I could have gotten upset that my grandmother basically implied that I was a slut (because I've lived with FI for much of our 8-year relationship), but I decided to laugh it off.  And after she passed away a little over 4 months ago (at 98), it was another funny story my cousins and I could laugh over at the reception following the funeral.

You ARE NOT fat...so try to shrug off the comment.  I think you lose your filter along with your vision and hearing as you get older...so grandparents say inappropriate things sometimes.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    She'd have a coronary if she saw me.

I have a great-grandpa that, every single time I saw him, asked me when I was gonna start losing weight. He said this to me when I was TEN and thin as a rail. Ridiculous.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Dude your grandma's a bitch.  I'm sorry you had to hear that from her.

Don't apologize.  No freakin way.  I would have hung up on her, too.

5'8" and 140 sounds damn good to me.. I'm 5'6" and 145, 140 is my goal weight (as I eat another oreo)

Aaannddd for reals - WHY do some old people think they have the right to say whatever they damn well please?  I don't care if you can tell me firsthand about the Revolutionary War, I still expect you to behave and treat me with the same courtesy and respect that I demand from every other human being on earth.

Yeesh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mr-grandma-thought-would-fun-call-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fe875bb-6b74-4a54-af9d-4437761643bdPost:0fed556f-44c9-4845-8388-dfec6929d6d0">Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My nana once told me (after kicking back a few Irish Coffees... minus the coffee) that when she got married, she was skinny. Then she had kids, and became a whale. When my mother was married, she was skinny. Then she had kids and became a whale. She told me to enjoy it now, because once I kick out some kids, I will join the fatty club with her and my mom.  Gee. Thanks Nana.
    Posted by rachel_elizabeth1124[/QUOTE]

Your nana sounds kinda rad.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mr-grandma-thought-would-fun-call-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fe875bb-6b74-4a54-af9d-4437761643bdPost:56972afb-4d4c-425e-87a3-a232b64cd619">Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude your grandma's a bitch.  I'm sorry you had to hear that from her. Don't apologize.  No freakin way.  I would have hung up on her, too. 5'8" and 140 sounds damn good to me.. I'm 5'6" and 145, 140 is my goal weight (as I eat another oreo) Aaannddd for reals - WHY do some old people think they have the right to say whatever they damn well please?  I don't care if you can tell me firsthand about the Revolutionary War, I still expect you to behave and treat me with the same courtesy and respect that I demand from every other human being on earth. Yeesh.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]
    Amen
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I'm 5'4 and would LOVE to weigh 140 (and be 5'8 but that's never going to happen).  Do not apologize to your grandma, tell her it hurt your feelings (and that she is crazy).  
  • Options
    This post is the reason that old people scare me.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. That was completely rude of her. I would let her know she hurt you. Sometimes grandmothers forget their filters. You obvs. know she's wrong though, so that's good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mr-grandma-thought-would-fun-call-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fe875bb-6b74-4a54-af9d-4437761643bdPost:06370a3c-dea5-4f63-9912-c435915a308d">Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat... : Your nana sounds kinda rad.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, she is. She's diabetic, so she usually sticks to drinking O'Douls, but when grandpa isn't looking, she has a secret stash of Bailey's. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry your Grandma said that to you, and I definitely don't think you need to apologize to her.

Guess being old excuses people from common courtesy or consideration.
  • Options
    Please do not apologize to her. As everyone else mentioned, you are clearly not fat in any sense of the word. Frankly I'd be pissed at your dad too. I don't care if she is his mother, things you say and do have consequences and somebody needs to start holding that bitch accountable. I'm not saying hate her for the rest of her life or something, but for me there would be an emotional distance that would never go away, at least not without a sincere apology.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mr-grandma-thought-would-fun-call-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fe875bb-6b74-4a54-af9d-4437761643bdPost:33d73e34-e8e2-4385-a516-6c77c874f8fe">Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please do not apologize to her. As everyone else mentioned, you are clearly not fat in any sense of the word. Frankly I'd be pissed at your dad too. I don't care if she is his mother, things you say and do have consequences and somebody needs to start holding that bitch accountable. I'm not saying hate her for the rest of her life or something, but for me there would be an emotional distance that would never go away, at least not without a sincere apology.
    Posted by Becky&Chris[/QUOTE]
    My grandmother has done alot of nice things for me in mu life,but I have learned in the past couple years that they come with strings attatched and are brought up ALL the time.

I have stopped accepting any kind of gifts from her (besides obvious ones like birthdays etc.) and I have kinda of just given up.She is an angry old women,who I can't ever imagine being happy with herself.I love her,but I would never treat anyone the way she does.

I am also slightly angry with my dad,but in his defense he has been through alot and has defended me from things I can't imagine (my mom is bi-polar and incredibly unsable most of my life).I think he just might be out of energy at this point to deal with the petty things.He has done enough and I will defend myself.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I think you should show her all these post, and let her see what other think about what she said to you.
    Then, I would tell her that if she was trying to hurt you she did a good job, I believe in honesty, I had a large friend and a great aunt that would always make comments like "I wonder how much she weights" I confronted her and told her it was none of her business, and then whammy, to a nice Baptise I told her she was not being very Christian like, she never commented again.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm with you, I wouldn't bother with her at all. It sucks that it has come to that. I wish your dad could take the same attitude as you towards her, but I know it is much harder when it is your parent.
  • Options

You're not at all fat.

I'm afraid that some grandmothers (and people in general) are rather inconsiderate. 

You remind me of an memory of mine from my early 20's when I was rather severely eating disordered. My mother made some mention of my unhealthily small size (humiliation obviously wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but my mother was pretty clueless with what she should and shouldn't say), and my grandmother commented that she thought that I looked fine and then started talking about how, 'when I was your age, I was much thinner than you! I only weighed x stone!'. Now, the ridiculous thing was that I weighed quite a bit less than she stated that she did and I am about three inches taller, so I know for a fact that she was never thinner than me... but clearly, what she said was highly inconsiderate and inappropriate. 

I don't think you should be apologising to your grandmother, but I don't think you should take what she said to heart, either. I'm sorry that she said something so cruel and upset you like that. 

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm 5'7" and 2lbs less than you and a size 6 so if that is fat than wow!!! haha Maybe she is going blind? That would piss me off and being me I would say something! I'm sorry, you are definitely not fat, not even close!!!
    She may just also be mad that her day is long passed!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Why is it that older people think they can say anything? You are thin, I would love to weigh 140, I am nowhere near 140 and I'm shorter than you.

A few months ago at my grandmas funeral my great uncle came up to me and my husband and looked at me and said, 'i didn't recognize you, you've gained so much weight'. He then turned to my husband and said, 'i'ts your fault'. We were both speachless, it was SO awkward, we just sat in silence until he walked away. We did have a good laugh about it later, but it was so rude and insulting.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mr-grandma-thought-would-fun-call-fat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fe875bb-6b74-4a54-af9d-4437761643bdPost:033e9558-997c-46a4-80fc-d9b78464dc6d">Re: My Grandma thought it would be fun to call me fat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that older people think they can say anything? You are thin, I would love to weigh 140, I am nowhere near 140 and I'm shorter than you. A few months ago at my grandmas funeral my great uncle came up to me and my husband and looked at me and said, 'i didn't recognize you, you've gained so much weight'. He then turned to my husband and said, 'i'ts your fault'. We were both speachless, it was SO awkward, we just sat in silence until he walked away. We did have a good laugh about it later, but it was so rude and insulting.
    Posted by Mofongo[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should introduce my grandmother to your uncle,sound slike a match made in hell.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    What a bitch.  Seriously!  Don't apologize to her.  Your dad is being ridiculous too.
  • Options
    I am the same measurements so now i'm mad at your grandma too!  Do not let her make you feel bad! And for the record GRANDMA it's rude to call someone and tell them they are fat!  We sound like the same body type so I can understand how you feel.  Growing up I was always thin and since I turned 30 I have put on a few pounds.  I don't feel fat by any means...I feel like a grown woman.  It sounds like you take care of yourself and are a healthy weight so don't listen to her!  And tell her I said I  don't appreciate her comment either!!
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards