Honeymoon Discussions

Who has traveled to Costa Rica?

I'm alittle overwhelmed with where to go in Costa rica and what to see? I'm not a Hikier but wouldn't mind doing alittle one . My husband would like to go to Costa rica for our 1 yr anniversary. I'm not a Jungle kind of gal and trying to work with him on finding a medium. Can anyone reccomend a resort they stayed at and a Boutique hotel that would be for someone who isn't such an advent hiker or a jungle kind of gal. I'm worried about the cost from getting to one hotel to another.  Don't wat to rent a car with the roads being so bumpy .We are looking to stay  near the volcano area  and Manuel Atonio area? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

Re: Who has traveled to Costa Rica?

• Which volcano area are you looking for? Monteverde a really nice town with a view of Arenal volcano. You can get there bus shuttle or bus, and there are lots of cute little hotels there. You can do a mild or modeate hike in either Monteverde Cloud Forest or Santa Elena Cloud Forest (smaller, less popular, more wildlife). The town is walkable and charming.

I've never been to Manuel Antonio, but I've lived near and traveled to of the beaches further north (Tamarindo, Hermosa, Flamingo...), which are beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think were focuses on Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas.
  • I went to Costa Rica in February of 2011 and visited Arenal/La Fortuna and Nosara. I have entries in my travel blog here and here from that trip. 
  • Oh wow your blog is great. Thanks for sharing it with me. Sorry you got sick on your trip. I actually called my dr and will make sure I have stomach meds just in case same thing happens to me. Not to get to personal but did you get Typhorid pills. I think I spelled it correctly.  When did you go and was it very buggy there since it rained? Which bug spray works the best? Thanks for all the help.
  • Los Lagos in Arenal (la Fortuna) is great.  They offer tours at their reception areas.  Hotel includes breakfast (and hs a ziplining at an extra cost).  Dinner and lunch are extra as well, but you don't have to eat at the hotel.  However it is convenient.  You can hike (about 30 minutes or so up) to their lookout spot here you get to see the volcano in all it's glory at a safe distance.

We went to Manual Antonio years ago and plan to go back soon (can't beat monkeys right at your side as you eat).  Not sure about hotels to recommend though as it's been so long but it is one of the more popular spots in CR.

Been to Montezuma and it is amazing...check it out.  It is a very touristy town but hotels are reasonble (we got a place there 5 years ago that was literally right on the beach, felt like our own private beach, for $70 for the night.)

I have to also recommend Puerto Viejo, our favorite destination.  It is unbeatable, prices are great, people are mazing, nightlife is wonderful and the beaches are so calm.  The food is to die for (a mixture of carribean, Jamaican).  Also, most people just ride around on bikes.  You can rent a bike all day for like $10 or so and bike to the various beaches 9you'll get a workout and it's just tranquil biking on such a scenice 9and safe) route.  You can visit Punta Uva and Manzanilla, among the various beaches near Puerto Viejo.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • How did you do Transfers around Costa Rica?
  • Look into Nayara near Arenal Volcano. They took care of everything for us as far as transportation. We did ziplining, raninforest hike, white water rafting, etc. The staff there is really helpful for everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards