Snarky Brides
Options

Anyone Around?

I should probably be doing some work but I am working on plans for a garage/shop and I just can't get in to it. Anyone want to help me procrastinate? 

Re: Anyone Around?

• Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    I don't think I have ever seen Top Chef. I am watching American Idol. I always say that I am not going to watch these stupid 'reality TV' shows but I end up getting sucked in anyways. 
  • Options
    FI and I are just sitting around.. watching The Others. He's never seen it, which really surprises me.
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    I have given up on the hockey season this year Edie. H cheers for Montreal and they are doing horrible this season. 

I don't remember if I have seen The Others or not. 
  • Options
    Hi, everyone! 

I just finished cleaning the dishes and packing lunch. N's at the gym.  I'm taking a quck break from cleaning. 

I hate American Idol. Hate. HATE. With the fire of a thousand suns, hate.
  • Options
    I'm grading and editing a manuscript. ANTM is on in the background. I don't care for the show, but I like to see the photos at the end.
  • Options
    I'm watching Mad Men and trying to plan my trip to Orlando in November for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.

I love that on Mad Men, they don't call it "drinking in the office", they simply call it "celebrating".
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Hi Nates! I feel like I haven't seen you around too much lately. 

I have never seen Mad Men it looks interesting but I missed the beginning of the show and it looks like it would be hard to get into without knowing what happened at the start. 
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Edie, I am not a Crosby fan. Sorry. It's like Gretzky all over again. Bleh. 
  • Options
    Reils, I missed the beginning too, but I noticed they had the first four seasons on Netflix and figured with season 5 right around the corner that I'd give it a shot. I also had a dream about one of the actors on the show lol so I took that as a sign.
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    Hey Reils!  How's the house coming along?  I've just been busy with a ton of family/friend stuff, plus doing some fun things. I'm tired, so I'm just vegging tonight.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-around-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1da6be96-33e6-4bd3-9cee-910fcb5a17f3Post:ac81197a-d29b-46c2-8c0b-770982105c0e">Re: Anyone Around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I hate American Idol. Hate. HATE. With the fire of a thousand suns, hate.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed, although I have only seen bits of it when we were out somewhere that had it on.</div><div>
    </div><div>I got my hair cut today at a new place and he did a fabulous job. My hair is fine but there is a lot of it and he taught me how to manage it without too much effort. </div><div>
    </div><div>I had also thought my hair options for the wedding were limited because it was so fine but now I think he may be able to do something with it. I am pretty excited. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Mehg, we don't have Netflix :(. I have heard that it sucks in Canada so we haven't really looked into it. I wish we did though. There are times where I would way rather start a new show that I missed the first time around than watch something just because it's the only thing on. 

Nates, sounds like you've been busy! The house is going good. Really slow though. We have a bunch of people lined up to come work in the next couple of weeks so hopefully we will see some good progress soon. The drywall guy is set come in a couple of weeks and then we will just have all of the interior finishing stuff to do. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I've only watched it once or twice, but it sucks. 

I just got my hair cut and I dyed it and I'm loving it.
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Celtic, I have pretty fine hair too and I got some clip in hair extensions for the wedding and they actually worked out pretty good. They were a bit pricey though. Around $90, I think. 
  • Options
    I managed to buy all of the Mad Men seasons whenever I found them on sale. Amazon usually has deals on them. I hadn't seen it either and we watched all 4 seasons about a year ago. Even FH was hooked within a few episodes. 
  • Options
    Hiya, JCB! Mmm, wine.

Reils, wow! That's a lot of work, lol.
  • Options
    Hey! I am here.

Annoyed with my new phone's severe lack of battery life.

Stressed over student teaching! Will explain more, need time to type.
  • Options
    Celtic, what is the story behind the dumpster cat?

We call Bax "Discount" because we adopted him. One day I was joking that he was a discounted dog since he was a previously used model.  That led to me calling him "Descuenta" and then just plain discount. 
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Haha, yeah it is a lot of work. I think we kind of underestimated how much work this was going to be. Too late to go back now! 

• Options
    I had my principal observe me teaching on Friday. He really liked my lesson and I got great feedback. The students were discussing their reactions (agree/disagree) to prompts relating to the Bill of Rights, like "I think burning the flag should be illegal." I emphasized being respectful multiple times. One prompt was "Students have the right to pray in school." The majority of students agreed but there were a couple who disagreed and they all engaged in a constructive, structured disucssion.

Well, one of the girls who disagreed mentioned it all to her mom. The mom emailed the principal all concerned that I was teaching religion in class. The principal called me in to discuss the concern. Thankfully he had seen me teach the activity in question and knew what I was up to and that the discussion was structured around First Amendment rights, one of which is freedom of religion. He emphasized that I did nothing wrong and that not everyone will understand that social studies curriculum does cover some issues (Constitution) relating to religion in some way.

Even though the principal assured me I did nothing wrong, I still felt as small as a rock. A rock very near to tears. And the kicker was that the parent said "Well, if the mentor teacher had been there this wouldn't have happened." My mentor teacher is out for over a month. Does the parent really think I want that either? I mean, come on! I have to do all the planning, discipline, teaching, grading, etc. with very little support from the sub, who isn't really in the room all that much.

Anyway, I just need to vent about it. I had a good cry last night.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-around-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1da6be96-33e6-4bd3-9cee-910fcb5a17f3Post:fc23f7ef-d2a3-489c-b5cd-2f91e5413c0b">Re: Anyone Around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sere, what grade/subject do you teach? Holy hell , student teaching was hard. I taught for one year and DONE. Should teachers automatically get respect? Not necessarily but eff, it's a tough profession.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

I teach 8th grade US history and I love it. I love the kids, I love the material (today I taught political cartoons in relation to First Amendment rights) but oh my gosh I am exhausted. Being without my mentor teacher is really rough.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-around-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1da6be96-33e6-4bd3-9cee-910fcb5a17f3Post:c7096e63-4481-45d1-bc69-0aba1ff5f6ec">Re: Anyone Around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sere I'm sorry you had a bad class :(
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

And it wasn't even a bad class, it was one parent (out of 170 students) who had a misinformed idea of what was going on in class. But even that one person can make you doubt yourself.
  • Options
    Sere, what kind of phone do you have? I'm getting a new one soon so I'm getting all the info I can.

So I left work a little early today and missed out on a meeting. For once, I wish I could have gone. Apparently a lot of the CWs went and bitched to our supervisor that the reasons their sites are bad or wrong is because she never answers her emails in a timely manner. Oh how I wish I could have been there to see her set them straight. However, I have a feeling this will mean I'll be extra busy answering their questions since I told her to direct them to me.
  • Options
    Sere, seriously, it's better this happened now, so you know how the fvck crazy some parents can be.  You might have one in ten years or ten in one year, but you're bound to have to deal with some psychos who want to be offended and critique any and everything within the state-mandated curriculum. I know how hard it is, but you did nothing wrong, plus you have the backup of the admin, which is great.  I bet you did an awesome job and really got those kids thinking.
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Sere, I am sorry you had a bad day :(. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong though. I liked when religion came up in the classroom when I was in school. It showed us different sides of religion that we might not get otherwise. 
  • Options
    celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Nates - We got her on Craigslist. She had been found as a kitten inside a dumpster. A woman was cleaning out her car and heard her crying. She told me that every time they went by that dumpster for months  after this her youngest son told her to stop and check for more kittens.  The lady who found her was going to keep her but Rumbles tormented her older cats. 

She loves anything smelly and is always trying to get into weird spaces so we think she misses the dumpster. 
  • Options
    Sere, I'm so sorry you're going through this. You seem to have handled it well. I give you mad props for teaching middle schoolers though; I can't stand them. I didn't even like middle schoolers when I was one.

Sesh, she has the Samsung Galaxy S2 (same phone as me). It's a great phone, I love it, but I agree, the battery sucks diick.
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-around-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1da6be96-33e6-4bd3-9cee-910fcb5a17f3Post:20834bee-d529-4264-94d2-3e9c7ffba31e">Re: Anyone Around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sere, seriously, it's better this happened now, so you know how the fvck crazy some parents can be.  You might have one in ten years or ten in one year, but you're bound to have to deal with some psychos who want to be offended and critique any and everything within the state-mandated curriculum. I know how hard it is, but you did nothing wrong, plus you have the backup of the admin, which is great.  I bet you did an awesome job and really got those kids thinking.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

I was hoping I'd catch you :) I know in the end it's a learning experience that I'm glad to have. After chocolate and a cry made me feel better about myself.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I never really pictured myself teaching middle school but am amazed with how much I love it.

Jcb-I'm hoping that will get me a job! ha!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-around-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1da6be96-33e6-4bd3-9cee-910fcb5a17f3Post:4f7e29b0-803b-4462-bbb7-bec126a910bf">Re: Anyone Around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sere, I'm so sorry you're going through this. You seem to have handled it well. I give you mad props for teaching middle schoolers though; I can't stand them. I didn't even like middle schoolers when I was one. Sesh, she has the Samsung Galaxy S2 (same phone as me). It's a great phone, I love it, but I agree, the battery sucks diick.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

My H's phone will last for much longer than mine and he does more with his. I don't know what the eff is wrong with mine but the battery lasts less than 10 hours with power save on, wi-fi off, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards