Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

E Ring During Ceremony

What is the "proper" way to handle your engagement ring during the ceremony? Don't wear it at all? Wear on right hand so the wedding band can be placed on an empty finger? Or keep the engagement ring on your left hand, place the wedding band on top and then switch the positioning after the ceremony?

Curious as to see what now married Knotties have done and what engaged ones plan on doing.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: E Ring During Ceremony

• I gave mine to my MOH to hold until after the ceremony. She just put it on one her fingers in the mean time.
  • I don't think there's one "proper" way to do it. I had the wedding band placed on top of my e-ring and switched them at some point between the family pics and bridal party pics. (I discovered this by zooming in on my hand...)
  • I just wore my e-ring as normal and switched them after the ceremony. It doesn't fit on my right hand.
  • edited April 2013
    I wore mine on my right hand. Btw, it turned out to be unintended genius, because it showed during the entire ceremony and my photographer got lots of good shots.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I didnt wear mine during the cermony. I wanted my wedding band to go on my empty ring finger. And I never wear my ring on my right hand, I am just weird like that
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did the same thing as Stage and kipnus.
  • I wore my engagement ring on my left hand and the wedding band was just put on top of it.  Honestly, I didn't even think about it.
  • I've actually thought about this. During our first look FI and I will switch our engagement rings then place our wedding bands on our left hands at the ceremony.
  • I wore mine as usual and then switched them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'll be wearing mine on my right hand and putting it back on my left after the ceremony.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_e-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b888c51b-d2ad-44b9-90b0-c5f8fcecedcaPost:d86333a2-fb47-40e3-b68a-0d7fb2b4139a">E Ring During Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the "proper" way to handle your engagement ring during the ceremony? Don't wear it at all? Wear on right hand so the wedding band can be placed on an empty finger?<strong> Or keep the engagement ring on your left hand, place the wedding band on top and then switch the positioning after the ceremony?</strong> Curious as to see what now married Knotties have done and what engaged ones plan on doing.
    Posted by rel1988[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I did this.

</div>
  • I plan on earing it as usual and switching it after. I wear my ring everyday, why wouldn't I wear it on my wedding day, ya know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I put it on my right hand.  I wanted my husband to put my wedding band on my left hand correctly during our wedding ceremony.  Afterwards, I moved my engagement ring back to my left hand.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I normally would've done whatever, but our priest (Catholic church) insisted that my wedding band go on an empty finger. So I wore my e-ring on my right hand.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_e-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b888c51b-d2ad-44b9-90b0-c5f8fcecedcaPost:2fe3b15f-c2a8-47bc-bbd5-95c607f92c33">Re:E Ring During Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:E Ring During Ceremony: FWIW, the ring exchange was the last thing we did, so I wore my wedding band "incorrectly" for a grand total of 5 minutes.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I know it's a weird thing to be hung up on - it was just that this was the first time I was getting it, so I wanted it put on right.  Other people don't care so much about such a small aspect.
  • I wore it on my right hand then after the wedding ring exchange I put it back on my left hand.
  • I wore it on my right hand.  Then a day or so after the wedding I moved my wedding band to my right hand and my e-ring back to my right along with my grandmother's weddings band.

The 2 rings do not go together.  My e-ring is too wide for the wedding band DH picked out.  But it looks fine with my grandmother's ring.   I like  it better on my right hand then my wedding band.  DH doesn't care.   It's all good.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My engagement ring and wedding band are already soldered, as my engagement ring is my grandma's wedding set. I won't have the ring for a couple of weeks prior to the wedding because we're getting it re-set in white gold, so I'll just be getting the one ring placed on my finger during the ceremony.

• I wore my E ring on the left and then switched the bands right after. Weeks later I learned that I hate the thickness of wearing 2 so I took off the band and only wear my E ring now. H doesn't care.
  • H had all the rings in his pocket during the ceremony (including my e-ring), so afterwards when we were waiting for our guests to come up to us in the receiving line I put the e-ring on over my band. If it would have fit on my right hand I might have done that, but my left hand fingers are smaller than my right hand fingers. 
  • my engagement ring IS my wedding ring. My e-ring is vintage and doesn't look right with a band next to it (kind of takes away from the style of it) so I didn't want a second ring. 
  • Planning to wear e ring on my right hand during the ceremony.

• I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I'm seriously leaning towards wearing my wedding band on top of my e-ring.  To me it feels wrong to switch them.  I got the e-ring first, and my FI will be placing the wedding ring on top of it at the ceremony.  In my mind, that's how they should stay.  I know this is not traditional, but it's what makes the most sense to me.
  • I wore mine on my left hand and then switched them after the ceremony,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Ignore...wrong thread.
  • I'm siding with Ven&Radio. Honestly I didn't know this was a "thing" (*add to list of reasons why I love TK*). I have a very small darling solitaire e-ring, and plan to get a very thin diamond wedding band. Haven't tried one on, but I feel like it might look better on top of the e-ring.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what I prefer. Although I don't understand taking off the e-ring at all.. someone clue me in. Is it stricly preference, or is there some tradition behind it? (Religious, etc?)
  • My ring is a contour ring to fit around my e-ring, so I think it would make the most sense for me to leave my e-ring on and just switch them afterwards.
  • I love the idea of having my wedding ring shine alone.  In my situation, my engagement ring is stunning and will forever be on my right hand shortly.  My wedding ring is so beautiful on its own so in 4 days I'll have very meaningful pieces of love on both hands!
  • I plan to try and shove mine on my right hand.  My right ring finger is larger than my left, so I can usually only squeeze it on there when I'm cold-- luckily our wedding is in March :)  I want the band going onto a naked finger, but I don't want my E ring not to be on me. I NEVER take it off. It will be weird enough having it on my right hand!
  • rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    @LMc0322 my right hand is bigger than my left too. It most likely wont even fit on my right hand. Unless my Pastor has reasoning I think I'm going to just keep my ERing on my left hand, add the band during the ceremony and switch them in between the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards