Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Cellphone/Camera ban

Is anybody banning cellphones and/or cameras at their ceremony so that the guests can actually enjoy the moment without having to duck around other guests' electronics in the way of view and so that when you look out to see the happy smiles and tears of joy on their faces you can actually see their faces instead of the electronics? I plan to hire a photographer and videographer for the ceremony and possibly set up an instagram hashtag for the reception so that guests can share their photos from that. Any opinions?

Re: Cellphone/Camera ban

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to Cellphone/Camera ban:
    [QUOTE]Is anybody banning cellphones and/or cameras at their ceremony so that the guests can actually enjoy the moment without having to duck around other guests' electronics in the way of view and so that when you look out to see the happy smiles and tears of joy on their faces you can actually see their faces instead of the electronics? I plan to hire a photographer and videographer for the ceremony and possibly set up an instagram hashtag for the reception so that guests can share their photos from that. Any opinions?
    Posted by 88beautymarked[/QUOTE]

This is really weird and controlling.

You can't take your guests' property away from them as a ticket to entry for your ceremony and/or force them to leave it in the car.

Honestly, what would you do? Have your ushers check every lady's purse and every gentleman's pockets? So so so weird.

The only mayyyyybe exception is if you are having a very solemn religious ceremony and things like flash photography or cell phones are prohibited by your minister, priest, or rabbi.
  • We didn't bother to ban cameras, and there are maybe 3 pictures of the ceremony anyway. From what you can see of the pews from our photographer, there are cameras out when I enter, and then for the kiss, and that's it. From what pictures we got from people (we set up a wedding turtle page where people can upload pictures they take in one place) that seems about right. Most people actually want to watch the ceremony, not spend the entire time behind a camera, at least in my group of friends/family.

If you're really worried about it, though, I suppose you could have a thing in your program about it (if you're having one).
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • fuerst37fuerst37 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Our photographer and church both asked that our guests not take pictures during the ceremony. The minister asked people to turn off all their electronics, and honestly, it wasn't a problem. (Also, the pictures look fabulous--you know how these days all the "aisle" shots show cameras and phones in the way? This way, we can see the people's faces, which was just an up shot of keeping with both contracts.)

I thought it was an unusual request when I was at a wedding last year, but having done it now, I wouldn't bat an eye as a guest.
  • Unless it's a venue restriction, I can't get over the 'zilla aspect of telling guests that you're banning them.

I'm not a fan of taking photos during the ceremony myself but don't underestimate how great the candids are that you'll see from guests. 
  • You'll end up looking like a crazy bridezilla if you try to do this.    For what it's worth, we got some AMAZING candid pictures from guests. 

And, my favorite photo from the wedding was taken by a friend.  Our photographer's camera jammed right after "the kiss", when we were announced.  This was my reaction... and my photographer missed it.  Luckily, I didn't try to ban cameras:

• I hate this ban. Maybe it's just because I love to take pictures, but I find it strangely controlling. I went to a wedding with this ban and the bride told me it's because she wanted everyone "to be in the moment." WTF does that mean? I am perfectly capable of being in the moment while taking a picture.

The most you can do is have a sign up or ask the officiant to mention no cameras at the beginning of the ceremony.
  • In Response to Re: Cellphone/Camera ban:
    [QUOTE]I hate this ban. Maybe it's just because I love to take pictures, but I find it strangely controlling. I went to a wedding with this ban and the bride told me it's because she wanted everyone "to be in the moment." WTF does that mean? I am perfectly capable of being in the moment while taking a picture. The most you can do is have a sign up or ask the officiant to mention no cameras at the beginning of the ceremony.
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]

This.
  • In Response to Re:Cellphone/Camera ban:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I WISH we had done a sign, but not because I was worried about people being "in the moment" or whatever. I am extremely uncomfortable being the center of attention and I hate hate hate having my photo taken, as does DH. Knowing that basically every second of our ceremony was being photographed by half the guests and would immediately be uploaded to FB or whatever was very uncomfortable and disconcerting. I would have been able to actually focus on my ceremony a little more without that added pressure.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This. ... is why my fiance and I (who are both the same way) are having a polite request from our officiant about an unplugged ceremony, and also mentioning it on our wedding website. Just for the ceremony.  And yes, we know it's pushy but we're hoping people will respect this request.  Just the notion of a professional photographer already presents both of us with a fair amount of stress and anxiousness.  I should add, that, obviously, if anyone does 'violate' the unplugged ceremony request, we're not going to say or do a thing, as yes, that would be just *too* pushy and unreasonable.  And yes, we know some will ignore or forget.  We just hope to avoid extra photos and video being shot IF possible. In fact, we're not having a videographer because that would just simply be TOO unnerving for me.  Probably for my fiance too.
  • My good friend is a Baptist minister and he always comes out ahead of the groom and the processional and asks that all cellphones be turned off and no flash photography.  Wish he would take that one step further....

At my oldest DD's wedding, 2 different people with aisle seats stepped right out into the aisle to get photos of her coming down the aisle.  Blocked her photographer.

At my youngest SDD's wedding HER MOTHER blocked the photographer the entire time SDD was walking down the aisle because she stepped out in the middle of the aisle to take continuous photos of her.

I do think it is a bit presumptious to dictate that you want everyone to "be in the moment" but I think it is fine to ask people not to take pics during the ceremony.
  • In Response to Re:Cellphone/Camera ban:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Cellphone/Camera ban: I disagree with this. I noticed. It didn't ruin my wedding or anything, but I definitely noticed.

I'm another person who didn't, but then again, I barely realized where the professional photographer was the entire time until I got the shots back and went, wow, must have been right in front of me...

It depends on how camera conscious you are, I suppose. 
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Some of our favorite pictures were taken by guests. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    [QUOTE]Our photographer and church both asked that our guests not take pictures during the ceremony. The minister asked people to turn off all their electronics, and honestly, it wasn't a problem. (Also, the pictures look fabulous--you know how these days all the "aisle" shots show cameras and phones in the way? This way, we can see the people's faces, which was just an up shot of keeping with both contracts.) I thought it was an unusual request when I was at a wedding last year, but having done it now, I wouldn't bat an eye as a guest.
    Posted by fuerst37[/QUOTE]

I don't plan on walking around and collecting phones. I want to have those that are invited to my wedding enjoy my wedding and not be posting pictures on places like Facebook for those that are not invited to see. Especially weird to me that friends of my friends that I don't know would see my personal, private moment in life. The aisle shot you mention is what I want to avoid. I want to see the faces of those I invited to share this day with and not their electronics. It's not to be controlling and the reception would have an instagram hashtag so I can have those candid shots in one place. 
    [QUOTE]I think it's fine to put up a sign at the entrance that politely asks guests to refrain from using cameras or cell phones during the ceremony.  However, it may happen anyway, and there isn't anything you can do about that.  Doing any more than a polite sign (or possibly having your officiant mention it at the beginning) is definitely heading into offensive bridezilla territory.

I've seen pictures on pinterest of the ring bearer or another attendant carrying a little sign that says "Please turn off cellphones" "She means it" which I think is controlling and may be harsh. I think maybe just having a sign that says to remember to turn off phones would help with any phone call/text msg interuptions and the photo taking all in one. 

[QUOTE]My good friend is a Baptist minister and he always comes out ahead of the groom and the processional and asks that all cellphones be turned off and no flash photography.  Wish he would take that one step further.... At my oldest DD's wedding, 2 different people with aisle seats stepped right out into the aisle to get photos of her coming down the aisle.  Blocked her photographer. At my youngest SDD's wedding HER MOTHER blocked the photographer the entire time SDD was walking down the aisle because she stepped out in the middle of the aisle to take continuous photos of her. I do think it is a bit presumptious to dictate that you want everyone to "be in the moment" but I think it is fine to ask people not to take pics during the ceremony.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

FI's Korean family are tech savvy and I hope to avoid the "paparazzi" shots and them being in the way. lol
  • I have been to weddings where the minister has asked everyone to refrain from taking pictures during the ceremony and I saw nothing wrong with this. All those camera flashing can disturb the ceremony!  As for cellphones, if you are worried about them ringing, you could put something in your program as a gentle reminder to have them either off or on silent.  Nothing worse than a guests cellphone ringing right as you go in for your first kiss!! (Seen it happen before, I felt soooo bad forthe bride!)
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cellphone/Camera ban : I don't plan on walking around and collecting phones. I want to have those that are invited to my wedding enjoy my wedding and not be posting pictures on places like Facebook for those that are not invited to see. Especially weird to me that friends of my friends that I don't know would see my personal, private moment in life. The aisle shot you mention is what I want to avoid. I want to see the faces of those I invited to share this day with and not their electronics. It's not to be controlling and the reception would have an instagram hashtag so I can have those candid shots in one place. 

People are going to post photos of you on facebook whether you ask them to or not. I'd suggest changing the settings on your FB, because chances are there will be some pictures up from at least the reception. Mine is set to super private and pictures with me tagged have to be approved by me before they can publish with the tag.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cellphone/Camera ban : I don't plan on walking around and collecting phones. I want to have those that are invited to my wedding enjoy my wedding and not be posting pictures on places like Facebook for those that are not invited to see. Especially weird to me that friends of my friends that I don't know would see my personal, private moment in life. The aisle shot you mention is what I want to avoid. I want to see the faces of those I invited to share this day with and not their electronics. It's not to be controlling and the reception would have an instagram hashtag so I can have those candid shots in one place. 

But some people enjoy weddings by taking pictures.  Stepping out in the aisle is too much, but I admit to having NEVER seen that a wedding.  It's not like every guest is going to do it.

I'm not sure how to say this well so bear with me.  I completely agree that a wedding ceremony is a private, personal event.  For this reason, we invited ten people to witness it.  If you invite 100+, then you have to admit that you've reasonably given up on the private-factor.  These people have come to celebrate with you and they will each take pictures and post them online as they please.  This is how life and social media works now.  You can not like it, but it's how it is.

You will see all their faces at your reception when you greet each one individually and thank them for coming.  Beyond that, you are coming across controlling whether you think so or not.  Stop trying to police everyone to do exactly what you want.  Enjoy the day.  Enjoy the pictures that come.  Relax.  Just relax.

Honestly you can't tell people what they can and can't post on their personal social media pages, sites. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it makes you feel any better, my SIL, who was IN the wedding party, and standing up at the altar, was taking pictures throughout the whole ceremony. We have very few ceremony pictures without her either in the act of taking a photo, or looking at the pictures she just took.

I was REALLY pissed when I got our photos back, and I still cannot believe she did that.  But, now, 7 months later, I laugh about it.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    No matter what, someone may still pull out their smartphone or camera and spend the whole time taking pictures of you.

It's annoying, but there just isn't any polite way to make the request and make it stick.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cellphone/Camera ban : But some people enjoy weddings by taking pictures.  Stepping out in the aisle is too much, but I admit to having NEVER seen that a wedding.  It's not like every guest is going to do it. I'm not sure how to say this well so bear with me.  I completely agree that a wedding ceremony is a private, personal event.  For this reason, we invited ten people to witness it.  If you invite 100+, then you have to admit that you've reasonably given up on the private-factor.  These people have come to celebrate with you and they will each take pictures and post them online as they please.  This is how life and social media works now.  You can not like it, but it's how it is. You will see all their faces at your reception when you greet each one individually and thank them for coming.  Beyond that, you are coming across controlling whether you think so or not.  Stop trying to police everyone to do exactly what you want.  Enjoy the day.  Enjoy the pictures that come.  Relax.  Just relax.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

That is a good perspective. Thank you!

• I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to either have a sign or have the officiant make a brief but POLITE announcement, say, encouraging guests to allow those around them to watch the ceremony by not blocking views when stepping out into the aisle. 

Is there a space (i.e., off to the side) where those who might insist on taking photos for the majority of the ceremony can stand specifically to take photos or videos? I don't know if it would work but maybe encourage guests to take photos at the reception, so that guests would want to save battery?

Good luck :)
    [QUOTE]I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to either have a sign or have the officiant make a brief but POLITE announcement, say, encouraging guests to allow those around them to watch the ceremony by not blocking views when stepping out into the aisle.  Is there a space (i.e., off to the side) where those who might insist on taking photos for the majority of the ceremony can stand specifically to take photos or videos? I don't know if it would work but maybe encourage guests to take photos at the reception, so that guests would want to save battery? Good luck :)
    Posted by CSkahan148[/QUOTE]

Good thinking! Politeness is always mandatory :)
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I thought this was an interesting perspective.  Granted, it was from a photographer's POV, but it does demonstrate the variety of ways in which pictures can be ruined.

• This! Everything this photographer is saying is my nightmare! I want to have those pictures for the rest of my life and pass them down for generations to come and I want quality photos, not ruined by amateur photo-takers.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    See, I love pictures.  I love taking them, I love seeing them.   I've seen some amazing photos captured by guests, not professional photographers.

As long as folks aren't standing in the aisle...then it won't bother me.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe I've only been to very polite weddings, but I've never seen someone step into the aisle to take a picture.  I've only ever taken pictures at a reception and that usually doesn't happen either!
  • It won't bother me if people want to take photos as long as they don't get in the way of the real photographer. 

If I was going to do this, the approach I would take is

"We will share all of our photos with you via [however you will share them] so please feel free to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ceremony." 

First, I would have to ensure that I did have a way (and it was allowed by my photographer) to share unwatermarked photos with everyone. If I couldn't verify that, I would just allow people to take photos. Most people realize they will never, ever see all of the professional photos so they want to take their own to ensure they have some. Perhaps letting the guests know in advance that they will be able to access the photos will encourage them to be less determined to get their own shots. 

• IDK what everyone else is doing, but I am definitely asking guests to turn off/leave cell phones behind during the ceremony. Fo shure.
  • MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

It was part of our contract with the photographer that there be no other photographers, and that people not take photos in the ceremony.  We're all aware that people will do what they want, but in an attempt to keep people from taking photos in the ceremony, we added a note about it on our wedding website.

The main concern is people blocking her from doing her job.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards