Chit Chat
Options

Lame idea or not?

I figured chit chat gets more action than the honeymoon section, so i'm reposting:

So we're headed to Eastern Europe for our vacation. We set up a honeyfund. People can buy us portions of our tickets, hotels, entertainment, etc.

My question is this:

Instead of sending a thank you card to thank people for their monetary gift, would it be tacky to send a thank you post card?

Say for example, an aunt bought a portion of our train ride to Croatia. So I send her a post card from Croatia saying something this: "thank you for your wedding gift. Because of you, we're having an awesome time in Croatia. See you soon!"

Is this a rude form of thanking someone? It would be a considerably time before they get the thanks card because we're getting married beginning of June and taking the trip in August.

Thanks.

Re: Lame idea or not?

• Options
    I'm not going to touch the Honeyfund. Others can take care of that.

Thank you cards need to be sent out as soon after the wedding as possible. Also, chances are you won't want to send out TYs while on your honeymoon because, you know, you'll be too busy enjoying your trip. They'll become a burden.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    What if you don't get enough money to fund the trip? Then how would you write a thank you post card from Croatia if you can't even get to Croatia?
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to be working on my thank you notes during a honeymoon, at all.  My vacations are me time.  Guests don't typically expect someone to send out their notes during the HM.  Perhaps you could purchase the post cards while you're there and do them right after you get back?
  • Options
    We take vacations all the time. So, it's not the "taking the time to write" thing thst bothers me. Personally, I see nothing wrong with honeyfund. We have household items. Why waste your gifts on something we don't need, like an extra set of dishes and put it to good use instead. Feel line ponying up for a gift? Put it towards the honeyfund.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Lame idea or not?:
    [QUOTE]We take vacations all the time. So, it's not the "taking the time to write" thing thst bothers me. Personally, I see nothing wrong with honeyfund. We have household items. Why waste your gifts on something we don't need, like an extra set of dishes and put it to good use instead. Feel line ponying up for a gift? Put it towards the honeyfund.
    Posted by Blingerz[/QUOTE]

BECAUSE...what you get from the honeyfund is a check in the mail from the website company.  You are not getting the things you are registering for.  You are only getting the funds to pay for those excursions (and sometimes you only get a partial amount of the funds gifted because the website will either take their cut from your end or from your guests end, thus charging them a fee).

So in the end you are basically asking for money when you use this type of registry and asking for money is rude.

If you don't think you need anything household wise then don't register.  Plan the honeymoon that you can afford and any monetary gifts you receive from your guests use it as some fun spending money on your HM or put it into savings.

HM registries are rude.  Period.

• Options
    I'm sorry. But the Dudearino and I come from families and culture for that matter where asking for cash....even though we're not asking because you can gift if you want....is not a big deal. So slamming your head on a desk seems like a big waste of time. Honeyfund is there for people who feel like they must buy "something" for the couple. Because, you know, if they don't feel like they're buying "something," they end up slamming their head on a desk.
  • Options
    You do know who bought you stuff. It says on the registry. And people can cut you a check at the wedding but still mark off that they bought you two tickets to a museum on the honeyfund.
  • Options
    Jessa617 Jessa617 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]You do know who bought you stuff. It says on the registry. And people can cut you a check at the wedding but still mark off that they bought you two tickets to a museum on the honeyfund.

I think you've missed the point of PP. Your guests are not buying you anything at all. They are giving you money through another company which takes a percentage of it. That neato museum you want to go to? You're not getting tickets sent in the mail. You're getting a check from honeyfund, less the fees they take out to handle the transactions. That's it.

ETA: So to answer your question, yes, your entire idea is lame.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You didn't answer my question.
  • Options
    Ok. Linger, I can see you and I are from two different schools of thought. Obvously your advice isn't helping me.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Ok. Linger, I can see you and I are from two different schools of thought. Obvously your advice isn't helping me.

Obviously you just don't want to listen to sound advice.

I also don't give too hoots if your families think it is ok to ask for money.  You are also inviting friends to this wedding of yours.  Am I correct?  They may not feel the same way.  Aksing for money is rude.  It just is.

And why on earth would you be ok for Aunt Sally to "buy" you a trip to a museum only to receive a percentage of what she paid?  Why not just not register at all and receive the full amount in cold hard cash from her in person?  Cut out the middle man.

Also, what happens if the money she spent on that fun filled museum trip doesn't get used becasue the museum is closed?  Will you give her the money back and let he know that unfortunatly you couldn't use her gift?  Or will you keep it and buy something nifty along the way?

This is where these registeries are exceptionally rude.  You can say you will use that money towards what is being bought all you want but in the end you could be using it for rent.  Then dear Aunt Sally thinks she bought you this great excursion when in fact you didn't use it for that at all.

• Options
    Golly gee gosh. You mean we don't get tickets in the mail to our neato museum? Whuuuuuuuuuuht? Dear lord baby Jesus what do we do now. Yeah, no sht our tickets don't come in the mail. The honeymoon has already been paid for, yo. So, again, I don't care what you think of honeyfund. Because, if you'd like, we could talk about the rudeness of a typical registry at Macy's, or pottery barn. It's rude to register with the intent that people but you gifts, period. It's rude to register for household items and then to broadcast via word of mouth, because in the grand scheme of things, it's rude to ask for gifts. So ladies, who feel its perfectly ok to drop 15k on one day in their lives rather than put it towards a useful endeavor like a house or a honeymoon. imagine that, I'm not asking you what you think of the honeyfund. I'm asking what you think of a postcard idea.
  • Options
    Take your "I'm better than you because I'm following the wedding industry's idea of a perfect wedding and perfect courtesy" attitude, and answer the question at hand.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Golly gee gosh. You mean we don't get tickets in the mail to our neato museum? Whuuuuuuuuuuht? Dear lord baby Jesus what do we do now. Yeah, no sht our tickets don't come in the mail. The honeymoon has already been paid for, yo. So, again, I don't care what you think of honeyfund. Because, if you'd like, we could talk about the rudeness of a typical registry at Macy's, or pottery barn. It's rude to register with the intent that people but you gifts, period. It's rude to register for household items and then to broadcast via word of mouth, because in the grand scheme of things, it's rude to ask for gifts. So ladies, who feel its perfectly ok to drop 15k on one day in their lives rather than put it towards a useful endeavor like a house or a honeymoon. imagine that, I'm not asking you what you think of the honeyfund. I'm asking what you think of a postcard idea.

I think it sounds dumb, and more trouble that it's going to be 'cute'. Happy?
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Golly gee gosh. You mean we don't get tickets in the mail to our neato museum? Whuuuuuuuuuuht? Dear lord baby Jesus what do we do now. Yeah, no sht our tickets don't come in the mail. The honeymoon has already been paid for, yo. So, again, I don't care what you think of honeyfund. Because, if you'd like, we could talk about the rudeness of a typical registry at Macy's, or pottery barn. It's rude to register with the intent that people but you gifts, period. It's rude to register for household items and then to broadcast via word of mouth, because in the grand scheme of things, it's rude to ask for gifts. So ladies, who feel its perfectly ok to drop 15k on one day in their lives rather than put it towards a useful endeavor like a house or a honeymoon. imagine that, I'm not asking you what you think of the honeyfund. I'm asking what you think of a postcard idea.

If the HM is already paid for then why are you asking people to buy portions of your tickets and hotel rooms?  Hmmmmmm?

And traditional registries are not rude.  People can register for everything at BBB but that doesn't mean you are forcing people to buy you anything.  The point of a traditional registry is to provide people with ideas for things to give you if they are wanting to get you a present for your wedding.  That is all.  If they don't want to get you anything then they don't have to.  Their perogative.

I guess the same could be said about a HM registry except for the fact that in a HM registry you are asking for money, which in any shape or form is rude.  You can easily get the same money by just not registering.  And then those that want to give you some money as a gift can and they will be actually giving you the full amount rather then "buying" some imaginary item.

And you are really going to judge how people use their money?  If people want to spend a million dollars on their wedding day that is their choice.

Also, a honeymoon is not a useful endeavor.  Saving for the future, buying a house, paying off debt, etc are useful endeavors but a vacation is not what I call useful.

Oh and finally, I think the postcard idea is stupid.

• Options
    TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    The Honeyfund thing isn't a good idea because there are fees and your guest shouldn't have to pay to give you a gift they already paid for.

HOWEVER

You sound pretty sold on this idea, and that's fine. I propose you send out thank you cards immediately after the wedding, and send postcards from your vacation if you think about it (especially if someone paid for a certain tour or something). But don't wait to send out the thank you cards because it's so easy to get caught up in everything else and forget.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, kmbryant. Thank you.
  • Options
    Got it. So a twofer thank you and the occasional postcard. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm sorry linger, I can't help you with your irrationality. If you're mad at a wedding board, then you seriously need to rethink your priorities.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Thank you Maggie. For a minute there, I thought you were just some snarky btch...

Paging Knot Jackie, paging Knot Jackie.  Please report to "Lame idea or not?" thread STAT.

• Options
    kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry linger, I can't help you with your irrationality. If you're mad at a wedding board, then you seriously need to rethink your priorities.

You are just a peach, aren't you? Bless your heart.

ETA: Nice pic, Linger. Very appropriate.
  • Options
    Maggie. I'm thanking you for your help. I wanted to know if postcards are dumb. You answered my question by saying they are. If you'd like to tell on me, then ok. But, make sure you point out all your rudeness beforehand, too.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Maggie. I'm thanking you for your help. I wanted to know if postcards are dumb. You answered my question by saying they are. If you'd like to tell on me, then ok. But, make sure you point out all your rudeness beforehand, too.

Pretty sure no where in my posts was I rude to you.  I just didn't agree with your ideas and explained why they were rude.  Never once did I resort to vulgar language.  I am a bit more mature then that.

• Options
    Like I said, linger. I can't help you if you want to pick a fight, are angry, are irrational and so forth. It's time to move on if you can't answer the question.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Maggie. I'm thanking you for your help. I wanted to know if postcards are dumb. You answered my question by saying they are. If you'd like to tell on me, then ok. But, make sure you point out all your rudeness beforehand, too.
  • Options
    You're right. It's mature to tattle.
  • Options
    "The honeymoon has already been paid for, yo." Then how come you registered for one? You said didn't register for household items because you said you didn't need any. But, then why is registering for a honeymoon any different? If you are going on your HM right after your wedding.... If you are going to do the post card idea, I'd wait until you got back. Just buy the postcards while you're there and send them when you get back. If you aren't going on the HM right after the wedding, then it's more important to get those TY cards out first as opposed to waiting until your HM.
  • Options
    Jessa617 Jessa617 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]Like I said, linger. I can't help you if you want to pick a fight, are angry, are irrational and so forth. It's time to move on if you can't answer the question.

Pretty sure you're the one picking fights, yo.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks simply.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]You're right. It's mature to tattle.

I'm sorry but calling someone a "snarky btch" (we all know what you meant even if you took at the i) is rude a personal attacke.  We don't take to kindly to personal attacks around here.

I am sorry that you didn't like the fact that I didn't agree with your HM registry idea but in no way were you justified in calling me a b*tch.  Sorry you just weren't.  I have no problem reporting people who are out right rude and vulgar to someone because they can't debate maturely.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards