Not Engaged Yet
Options

Thoughts ?

So I came across this letter this morning.  I thought it was very well written and wanted to share.

I do understand both sides to it.   On the one side there is the struggle to be accepted, and on the other is a company working in a marketplace full of competition and trying to set themselves apart.  It struck a cord with me. 

So what are your thoughts?

Click me!
photo bridalparty.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Thoughts ?

• Options
    The account was suspended - love to read, but I can't.
  • Options
    That must have just happened, I was able to pull it up.

Copied and Pasted: 

An Open Letter from a “Fat Chick” to Mike Jeffries, CEO of Abercrombie + Fitch

Posted by Amy Taylor on May 9, 2013 in Letters | 675 Comments
    amy

This is me…not wearing Abercrombie.

I remember the moment as though it were yesterday (which is saying a lot, because it was nearly two decades ago…) Last week of 8th grade. One of the “popular girls” walked over to me in gym class and asked if she could write in my yearbook. When she handed my book back, I excitedly turned the cover, only to discover that she had written (in beautiful penmanship) the following:

Have a great summer. Stay thin.

Except the word “thin” had been crossed out with a single line. 

I have always struggled with my weight. Big-boned. Plus-size. Thick. Curvy. Voluptuous. Padded. Pick your adjective. Over the years I learned to deal with it in different ways. I learned to ignore it. Compensate for it. Deny it. Dress it up. Cover it over. Like everyone who struggles with something physical, I wear my battle on the outside for the world to see. There’s no running from it, because there is no hiding it.

According to Elite Daily, Mike Jeffries, CEO of Abercombie + Fitch, has allegedly commented on everything from why he hates fat chicks to why he doesn’t want “not-so-cool” kids shopping in his stores.

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.31.29 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.32.02 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.32.13 PM

While I was initially outraged by the story, by the time I reached the end of the article, I felt more of a sense of overwhelming pity for the Abercrombie CEO than anything. A man blessed with unimaginable success proudly spouting off soundbites reminiscent of a cruel little girl I knew in eight grade? It would seem Mike Jeffries is a deeply unhappy man.

Mean-spiritedness aside, Mr. Jeffries’ comments raise a flag about a bigger, more troubling cultural issue. Pretend, for one moment, that instead of fat chicks, unattractive people or “not-so-cool” kids Mr. Jeffries had said “African Americans” or “homosexuals” or “single moms.” As a society, we would rise up and crucify any brand that flaunted that kind of exclusionary business plan.

I’m not slamming Abercrombie, proposing that they start carrying larger sizes or suggesting they welcome everyone into their stores. What I am questioning is why, in a country where two out of every three adults are considered overweight, is it acceptable for anyone, let alone the CEO of a major company, to proudly and publicly sling what could be considered by some to teeter on hate speech?

With each brand that joins arms with companies like DoveTOMS and Anytime Fitness, opting to lead with their values in order to drive new, important conversations, a positive change is happening. Who do you think will thrive? I’m willing to bet at least two out of three Americans can answer that question…and they’ll do so with their dollars.

Now on to the letter.

AN OPEN LETTER TO MR. MIKE JEFFRIES, CEO ABERCROMBIE + FITCH

Dear Mr. Jeffries,

Hi there. It’s me, Amy. We’ve never met, but since it seems we won’t be sitting at the same lunch table (or crossing paths in your stores) anytime soon, I thought it was important that you get to know me if you’re going to hate me. I’m one of the two out of three Americans you can’t stand and don’t want in your stores. I’m your neighbor. Your doctor. The young woman working behind the hotel check-in desk. I’m your child’s third grade teacher. Your sister’s best friend. I’m the veterinarian who saved your dog’s life…twice. And the lady sitting next to you on the flight to Los Angeles. I’m the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. I’m the housewife with one heck of an expendable income. I’m the 13-year-old teetering on the verge of an eating disorder. And the 22-year-old battling depression and low self-esteem. I’m the employee working in your office, living in fear that two pounds are the difference between my paycheck and the unemployment line. I’m the American Woman…and I’ve got something to say to you.

Mike (can I call you Mike?), I’m not only a fat chick, I’m also a “not-so-cool” kid. Always have been, always will be. I’ve had 31.5 years to come to terms with that. Along the way I have been bullied, tortured, teased and harassed. Somehow I came out the other end better for it. In case you haven’t noticed, those not-so-cool kids are the ones who are passing people like you by–and doing some pretty amazing things. (You can read about a couple of them here and here and here.) Funny thing about wearing your struggle on the outside: it makes you stronger. It teaches you how to adapt. It forces you to dig deep and do more. And while people like you are sitting at the cool kids table intent on holding others down, the ragtag team of not-so-cool kids is busy pulling others up…and we’ve become an unstoppable force driving the world forward.

You got me, Mike! I don’t wear a size 4. You should probably also know that my middle fingers curve ever-so-slightly outward and I have a Morton’s toe. I’m terrible at long division and I’m not that great at parallel parking. But I’m a good person. I have an awesome job, great friends and a family that I wouldn’t trade for the world. I have mentors with brains as big as their giant hearts, and a rescue dog who is always happy to see me at the end of the day. Like everyone (size 4 or size 24), I have wants and hopes and dreams. I dream of writing a children’s book and inheriting a large sum of money so I can open a rescue retirement home for all the old shelter dogs that nobody wants. I’d like to pay for the person behind me at the toll booth sometime, and it’d be nice to get around to taking the “Great American Road Trip” one day. Overall I’m a pretty happy person. I’m a loyal friend and I strive to make the world better whenever and however I can. I love my community and I’m proud to call Columbus home. Although Abercrombie is headquartered here, you don’t represent the voice or the spirit of the place I know and love. When people think of this city, it is my hope they’ll choose to forget your name and instead think of people like Jeni Britton Bauer and Christian Long and Liz Lessner; doers and thinkers giving Columbus (and humankind) a good name.

As a marketer, I understand where you’re coming from on some level, Mike. I really do. When you say “a lot of people don’t belong in our clothes–they can’t belong,” I get it. For consumers, every purchase is a declaration. With each dollar a consumer spends, they are saying, “I am part of this brand and this brand is a part of me. I believe what this brand believes. I support what this brand supports.” As I sit here wrapping up this letter, I am proud to say that I may be a not-so-cool kid and the extra pounds I carry may not be a thing of beauty, but I am nothing like you or your brand–and that, Mr. Jeffries, is a beautiful thing.

Sincerely,
    Amy Taylor

I french with my man
  • Options
    Well that stinks!  It was there just a bit ago.  

Essentially it was about Abercrombie's ideal customer and the CEO's comments that they didn't want "fat" or "uncool" customers.  The letter was written from one of the "uncool" customers to the CEO.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    I don't see the side of the issue where A&F is trying to set themselves apart in a market as being a "good thing" here. For whatever reason, I can't articulate it more clearly than that right now.

Thanks, Peek, for posting the letter.
  • Options
    I'm actually less bothered by the "fat people can't shop here" than I am the "we only cater to the cool kids" mantra. If he doesn't want to make his clothes above a size 10, that's fine, I'm not going to shop there anyway. It's more the fact that Abercrombie clothes are severely overpriced, which makes it so only well-off people can shop there, which enhances the "us vs. you," cool kid, bullying scenario. As someone who grew up poor... I mean POOR.. I never was able to have brand name clothes/shoes/etc. and I got teased for it. Obviously, I got through it just fine, but that culture is so much more exacerbated now. Everyone is trying to so hard to stop bullying - and this is a corporate form of that, and THAT is what bothers me.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    I think that A&F is entitled to have whatever views they want to.  The fact is that 15 year olds who are popular and skinny and whatever who hear this are going to be like "OMG THIS IS AWESOME," and it's going to alienate everyone else.  

The same kind of outcry happened when Chick Fil A started talking about how anti-gay they are.  

I think Mike Jeffries is a troll, and he has absolutely zero room to talk about how he only supports pretty people.  Dude, you're ugly, get a life.

As someone who was never cool enough in school, and whose parents didn't have enough money to buy A&F clothes, I really hope that the backlash shows kids what's important.  Because in all seriousness, the brand of your clothes shouldn't determine your popularity, but it does.  Maybe parents will read what he said, and sit their kids down and talk to them about negativity, and how to treat other people.  It's a long shot, but maybe there's some good that can come out of this.

Also, my size 10 calves would like to tell Mike Jeffries that he can BLOW ME.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    I live in Columbus and heard some commentary on this on the radio this morning.  I've always struggled with my weight.  During my adult years my weight has ranged from a low of 160 (I'm 5 ft 3 and I was a size 10/12 there) to a high of 207 (size 18 at that weight).  

A&F was very popular during my college years and I was a 14/16 through most of college and I remember I was a size XXL in their tops and none of their pants ever fit me.  It devastated me at the time but now I realize that some clothes just fit your body better than others and A&F was never a brand that "fit" me and know I know why.

It is one thing to focus your marketing on a specific segment but to publicly state that they have no desire to be more inclusive (and use the language he did) is pretty sad.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I never even asked to buy something from A&F because I knew it would be a no- $75 for jeans with holes? C'mon. He's a bully of a little girl on the inside, making fun of and excluding others as a coping mechanism for his own problems. I mean, he was married to a woman, but then came out, which is probably one reason for his need to be accepted as part of an "elite" group and not a social outcast. And he only keeps young men around as his house and jet staff - super creepy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jeffries_(CEO)

The cool kids wore A&F, but they also were a-holes. I also hated how the company name was on EVERYTHING. I didn't want to buy over-priced billboards.

He's an a-hole and I hope that people who DO purchase clothing from that store realize it and think twice.
  • Options

I've never shopped at A&F. Never could due to my size and shape. Their clothes have never fit me. When I was in high school I would walk by and lament that I couldn't wear the 'cool kid' clothes. And long before he said it, I had a sense that the company felt this way towards 'fat' or 'not cool' kids.

Now, I walk by the store front and think "Poor kids are blowing their paychecks on a tag." And I feel sad. I feel sad that society has taught us to think that if you don't wear A&F, or Hollister, or whatever other overpriced name brand clothing you can think of, you're not worthy of acceptance. I feel sad that young people long (like I did) for a tag because somehow that tag equals acceptance. It's just a tag. It doesn't tell the world who you are inside.

Fuk Mr. Jeffries and fuk his tag.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    AprilH81 said:
    I live in Columbus and heard some commentary on this on the radio this morning.  I've always struggled with my weight.  During my adult years my weight has ranged from a low of 160 (I'm 5 ft 3 and I was a size 10/12 there) to a high of 207 (size 18 at that weight).  

A&F was very popular during my college years and I was a 14/16 through most of college and I remember I was a size XXL in their tops and none of their pants ever fit me.  It devastated me at the time but now I realize that some clothes just fit your body better than others and A&F was never a brand that "fit" me and know I know why.

It is one thing to focus your marketing on a specific segment but to publicly state that they have no desire to be more inclusive (and use the language he did) is pretty sad.  
    This is the side I saw from the marketing focus.  I think they are clearly entitled to focus on any demographic they want, but I don't think they are necessarily going about it the correct way.

The "fat" piece is true of many organizations out there.  There are many clothing brands that don't have sizing for plus size.  It clearly is not the demographic they are targeting, but they don't make it quite as overt as AF does. 

The "uncool" piece resonated with me the most.  Grade school and high school years everyone is fighting for acceptance.  Over priced clothing should not be what gets you accepted, but sadly it can be one of the factors that does.  AF demonstrates that even among their employees.  They have a strict wardrobe image they keep, even down to how shirt sleeves and pant legs are rolled.  It creates an image.  One that when you're younger can be hard to not copy.  It doesn't encourage individuality or finding yourself.  It shows that being a copy cat drone is normal and what should be expected of everyone.

AF clothes were very popular when I was in high school.  The sheer number of copy cat AF images roaming my school was sad.  I lived to that stereotype, and didn't realize until college that its okay to find your own voice and step away from the crowd.  It would've been nice to do that earlier.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    I think Mike Jeffries is a troll, and he has absolutely zero room to talk about how he only supports pretty people.  Dude, you're ugly, get a life.

Also, my size 10 calves would like to tell Mike Jeffries that he can BLOW ME.
    Pee k,

These might be among my favorite comments of the morning.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options

I hate the fact that he is perpetuating bullying.  A company does have a right to express an opinion but it also has a social responsibility to express that opinion carefully (i.e., in a way that doesn't represent a high school cat-fight).  He's an idiot and A&F is foolish to keep someone like him on. 

I bought at AF during high school/college and bought clothes for my niece there a few years ago too...I won't be buying there anymore.  Like the author of the piece, it isn't about the fact that you are marketing a certain audience that perturbs me, its the fact that you do so in a manner that is intentionally disrespectful and hurtful.

• Options
    minskat30 said:

I hate the fact that he is perpetuating bullying.  A company does have a right to express an opinion but it also has a social responsibility to express that opinion carefully (i.e., in a way that doesn't represent a high school cat-fight).  He's an idiot and A&F is foolish to keep someone like him on. 

I bought at AF during high school/college and bought clothes for my niece there a few years ago too...I won't be buying there anymore.  Like the author of the piece, it isn't about the fact that you are marketing a certain audience that perturbs me, its the fact that you do so in a manner that is intentionally disrespectful and hurtful.

Yeah, you said it better than I did...  lol
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Minskat, I agree that Jeffries is an idiot, but do companies really have social responsibilities when expressing opinions? That argument seems to anthropomorphize companies, and I think that's a fallacy.
  • Options
    I can probably fit into some of his stuff, but I wouldn't know because I refuse to even walk in the door.  I've never spent one dime in that place, and I never will.  This is also the first photo I've seen of that guy.  He looks like a weird, waxy Muppet.  What a tool.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Minskat, I agree that Jeffries is an idiot, but do companies really have social responsibilities when expressing opinions? That argument seems to anthropomorphize companies, and I think that's a fallacy.
    When they're aimed directly at young people (pre-teens/teenagers), then yes, I definitely think they have social responsibilities.

We have other companies out there who are doing their damndest to stop bullying and help young people feel better about themselves - and this dude, and his company, is completely undermining that.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    What I'm saying is that I'm not fully convinced that companies -- in and of themselves -- have a social responsibility for better or worse in their marketing. If they choose to market for better, good; if they choose to market for worse, bad; but I think that saying a company has a "responsibility" to stop bullying and improve young people's self-esteem is a little much.

That's probably going to be my unpop op for the day.

Note: I definitely do not agree with Jeffries' opinions or the way he's marketing, I just think that we're a hop, skip, and a jump away from blaming societal ills on marketing.
  • Options
    It's the same reason that people freaked a few weeks ago about VS' 'Pretty Bright Thing' (or PYT, whichever) line they wanted to market straight to preteens and teens. Ultimately yes, it is the parents decision to allow their child to shop there, but their social responsibility as a company is not to sexualize young girls or make them feel like they need lacy thongs that say 'Call Me' on it more than the media already does. It's more about trying to protect children and less about saying 'Here is what we believe, deal with it!'

At least that's how I see it.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I'm on the fence here regarding social responsibility and marketing.

While I don't think companies have a responsibility to stop bullying and improve self-esteem, I also don't think that they should be encouraging bullying outright, as Jeffries seems to have done this week.  I think it would have been just fine to keep quiet on the subject, and when asked why A&F doesn't provide plus sizes, to say "it's a decision we've made based on our product."  End of story, goodbye, no more questions.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    What I'm saying is that I'm not fully convinced that companies -- in and of themselves -- have a social responsibility for better or worse in their marketing. If they choose to market for better, good; if they choose to market for worse, bad; but I think that saying a company has a "responsibility" to stop bullying and improve young people's self-esteem is a little much.

That's probably going to be my unpop op for the day.

Note: I definitely do not agree with Jeffries' opinions or the way he's marketing, I just think that we're a hop, skip, and a jump away from blaming societal ills on marketing.

I agree with all of this.  A private company has no responsibility to the public, aside from what we as the public impress upon them.  This is not a new marketing campaign or strategy (just like CFA's policies and monetary donations weren't new), but it's like the public has now suddenly turned around and gone "Oh my gosh!  This is mean and wrong!".  So, if that's the case, stop shopping there, stop letting your kids shop there, and the problem will rectify itself.  The beauty of a market economy is that we CAN hold corporations to whatever standard we want.  We just have to stop biiiitching on FB about it and DO something instead.

Do you think that we've suddenly turned around and cried witch hunt on some companies simply because this American trend of trying to end bullying, whereas when we were in middle/highschool/college it just 'was'? Like.. If you wore the clothes, you were cool and well off. If you didn't, you were a loser. End of story, nobody whined (except to their parents about not having them) and no one felt they were being 'bullied' by a company?

I only ask this to see what others think, because it appears that way to me.

Bullying is wrong. :)
  • Options
    minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013

Yes, I think they do have social responsibilities when expressing opinions. They have a platform and a "voice", if you will, that is larger than a typical person's voice. I understand the arguments that corporations are not people and that my argument would also require political parties, which are organizations and not people, to be socially responsible.

In my mind, if you have an opinion as a political party/corporation about abortion, gay marriage, taxes, etc. I can listen to, respect and maybe come to understand your argument even if I don't agree with it but, if you don't express it in a respectful way treating people with human dignity, I'm not going to give much credence to your opinion. So maybe it isn't that corporations, etc. need to have social responsibility but they certainly should. Just my two cents.  

• Options
    edited May 2013
    KM, I think the bigger trend is the advent of the internet. Like, when I was in junior high / high school, the internet was out there, but it wasn't being used for social activism nearly to this extent. So I believe the availability of the knowledge of business practices, the tendency of companies to forget that nothing on the internet ever ever goes away, and the "trend" of trying to end bullying are all playing a role.

ETA: Should probably address KM for clarity, fix punctuation
  • Options
    Honestly, from a marketing standpoint I get what they're doing and why they want to market exclusivity, but I don't think they thought this through enough to realize that this could easily hurt more than it helps.  Corporate social responsibility is more emphasized now than ever, and people do not take too kindly to attitudes like that these days.

I shopped at A&F a bit as a teenager, but stopped for many reasons (the quality of their clothes is pretty bad, the perfume they spray in there makes me sneeze and gives me a headache, and apparently they discriminate against girls with boobs whether they're thin or not, so that was that).  To be totally truthful, I was one of the cool kids in high school, but I was never ever a bully, and if a public statement like this was made ten years ago I probably would never have shopped there in the first place.

I feel bad for Jeffries.  He's obviously a troll, and he's obviously still trying to find a way to fit in with the cool kids...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ultimately, whether it is a company's responsibility to watch what they say or not, those were some stupid statements to just throw out there. As evidenced by this thread, it sounds like a lot of people are now not interested in spending their money there. Fine, don't make plus-sized clothes if that's not your thing, but talking about who's cool and who's hot and drawing a line seems like a bad business plan. I still have to buy clothes and might have bought them from there in the past if there hadn't been that separation between the cool kids and us not-so-cool kids. As it is, I'll just buy the same stuff from a thrift store for a fraction of the price and make everyone uncomfortable by wearing something I'm obviously not hot enough for.
  • Options
    @Amapola14, agreed wholeheartedly. But may I say that I'm kind of glad that this derailed into a philosophy conversation?
  • Options
    @KeptInStitches, @Amapola14, I agree with the both of you. Stitch, I think the internet does play a big part in that. It plays a huge part in everyones everyday lives now. 
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    The fact that A&Fs CEO is an asshole just makes me feel even better for never having given them a single penny. Everyone wore that crap in college, and my university was exactly their demographic--rich white kids living in California. I knew that was their target market and that I wasn't part of it. Yeah, I can fit in their clothes, but I don't want to, and even now that I make good money, I would not pay $75 for a pair of jeans.

I believe he has the right to say what he said, even if I think it's idiotic. And we all have the right not to give his company any money. Hopefully public assholery will lead to a drop in sales and this guy getting fired.

ETA: I think this is similar to Chick-Fil-A management being against gay marriage. I won't ever give them my money, either.
  • Options
    leia1979 said:
    The fact that A&Fs CEO is an asshole just makes me feel even better for never having given them a single penny. Everyone wore that crap in college, and my university was exactly their demographic--rich white kids living in California. I knew that was their target market and that I wasn't part of it. Yeah, I can fit in their clothes, but I don't want to, and even now that I make good money, I would not pay $75 for a pair of jeans.

I believe he has the right to say what he said, even if I think it's idiotic. And we all have the right not to give his company any money. Hopefully public assholery will lead to a drop in sales and this guy getting fired.

ETA: I think this is similar to Chick-Fil-A management being against gay marriage. I won't ever give them my money, either.
    That's my philosophy right there. Natural consequences are the best teachers of all. Well said, Leia.
  • Options
    Honestly, I've never really liked the way the company portrayed themselves in the mall to begin with, thus I've never shopped there. I this the statement about "fat" kids not being "cool kids" was very untrue at my high school.

I think he's very out of touch with the rest of the world and stuck up to say the least. I will never be shopping at any of his stores.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I pretty much agree with Leia.

That's all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards