Chit Chat
Options

What is the worst...

Engagement/wedding gift you have received or saw someone receive?

We are 2.5 months away from our wedding and definitely haven't received anything yet, but I'm just curious for those with experience. I know it's lovely and wonderful for someone to care enough about you to send you a gift, but ever get one that you just looked at thought "Why would someone buy this?"

For instance: My mom told me that someone bought her and my dad matching Budweiser clogs. They are neither Budweiser fans nor really fans of clogs. And the clogs sure weren't on their registry.

So, that is my question of the day. Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What is the worst...

• Options
    Ceramic rooster... no rhyme or reason to it.  My friend was the bride and her aunt bought it for them so if anyone was to get it it would have been the bride, but no.
    Were they Portuguese? I have a friend who is Portuguese whose Mom always gives some sort of rooster (ceramic, linen, metal, etc.) as a gift because it's supposed to be good luck in her culture.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options

Ceramic rooster... no rhyme or reason to it.  My friend was the bride and her aunt bought it for them so if anyone was to get it it would have been the bride, but no.

That is totally random! My mom went through a rooster phase when I was a kid and Fitz and Floyd everything were all the rage.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

ohhhhh reddit had an AMAZING post about this that I found. I was totally dying the whole time I was reading it.

Clicky

Here's a sample from it:

The Ultimate Guide to Getting it On with a note explaining it was to help us out in case we "didn't know what to do."
    - A check that bounced, so it was a gift of -$35
    - An empty box with a note inside that said "Wear this on your wedding night."
    - A painted rock. A really big painted rock.
    - When my parents got married, my mother's uncle gave them a set of bed sheets. More specifically, a mismatched set of sheets for a twin-sized bed.
    - My wife's friend bought us an ashtray even though she knew we both weren't smokers.
    - Someone gave us a set of cedar hangers and the Official Dollywood Cookbook. I'm allergic to cedar, and we are not fans of country music or condensed soup based cooking, so the gift was really wasted on us.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    bunni727 said:

Used casserole caddy. Complete with spaghetti sauce stains.

OMG. That is horrible!! I get re gifting sometimes but something that used?? Ewww

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @lingerlonger1 I've heard the rooster being a "thing" to give for weddings. My friend got one with a blurb about the tradition. It was for her kitchen. I don't remember what it said. I remember thinking it was odd.

Oh as for my own story, my friend got some really old plastic set of lobster bibs, plastic disposable table cloth, and some napkins at her shower.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    MuppetFan said:

ohhhhh reddit had an AMAZING post about this that I found. I was totally dying the whole time I was reading it.

Clicky

Here's a sample from it:

The Ultimate Guide to Getting it On with a note explaining it was to help us out in case we "didn't know what to do."
    - A check that bounced, so it was a gift of -$35
    - An empty box with a note inside that said "Wear this on your wedding night."
    - A painted rock. A really big painted rock.
    - When my parents got married, my mother's uncle gave them a set of bed
    sheets. More specifically, a mismatched set of sheets for a twin-sized
    bed.
    - My wife's friend bought us an ashtray even though she knew we both weren't smokers.
    - Someone
    gave us a set of cedar hangers and the Official Dollywood Cookbook. I'm
    allergic to cedar, and we are not fans of country music or condensed
    soup based cooking, so the gift was really wasted on us.

Ohh I'll have to read that later at work! That sounds like an amazing good read!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ooh classy @muppetfan! I really wonder what goes through people's heads.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Our weirdest gift was a wrought iron heart shaped bottle opener that was HUGE. We both were like 'wtf' when we opened it.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    The worst gift we got was a photo album made of bright white puffy satin fabric and faux pearls. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Don't we tell people to give the bride a ceramic rooster if they are being a gift-grabby hoar? You must have pissed someone off.

Or did your rooster story inspire us to threaten whiny brides with ceramic roosters? Which came first: the chicken or the e--erm, rooster?

• Options
    Soup, WTF?  That is hilarious. 

Bunni, my aunt got a gift that still had a piece of the previous wrapping paper on it, and until now, I thought THAT was the worst regifting oversight. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Don't we tell people to give the bride a ceramic rooster if they are being a gift-grabby hoar? You must have pissed someone off. Or did your rooster story inspire us to threaten whiny brides with ceramic roosters? Which came first: the chicken or the e--erm, rooster?
    Your signature is priceless.

• Options
    rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    @hoorayforsoup hahahaha omg if we were Jewish I would totally ask if I could buy that off of your for a gag groom's gift
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @HoorayForSoup - I hope you and/or your FI are Jewish, at the very least?

I haven't seen anything genuinely terrible - just hideous lingerie. Like, floor-length robe with feathery trim and matching floor-length slip. It looked like something Adelaide would wear in Guys and Dolls. But hey, maybe the bride loved it. Who knows.
  • Options
    @hoorayforsoup did you have to open that a shower and pretend to love it? I'm not sure I could fake that!!

I am loving these stories! And am also getting terrified as to what I might get in the near future.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Don't we tell people to give the bride a ceramic rooster if they are being a gift-grabby hoar? You must have pissed someone off.

Or did your rooster story inspire us to threaten whiny brides with ceramic roosters? Which came first: the chicken or the e--erm, rooster?

The chicken because I learned from the kids in the playground you can only get pregnant if you come first :) 

Hey-o!

• Options
    @daria24 OMG I just pretty much fell off my bed laughing! That is priceless!!

@hoorayforsoup you are a better woman than I. I really don't think I could muster up fake enthusiasm that was believable.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    These are hilarious. I am looking forward to my upcoming shower even more now if that is possible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @rel1988 lol this is making me scared for mine!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    OMG, Soup, for a second I thought you maybe were not even Jewish, which would have made it even better. 

• Options
    Daria, no!  Who the hell ARE these people giving these weird gifts?!  
  • Options
    daria24 said:
    This photo, framed. No it is not a photo of our cat. I hung it in the bathroom so it stares at you when you pee. 

Is it bad that I WANT this cat picture to hang in MY bathroom to watch people pee?!?!

I am trying soo hard not to let anyone hear my laughing at work.

Anniversary
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    AddieL73 they were friends of my parents. The husband is a photographer as a hobby and the kicker is...apparently he gave my MOTHER a bunch of options and she chose the cat. I can only imagine what the others were! 

We were wide awake on our wedding night so after the hanky panky we opened our cards & gifts. I nearly fell off the bed laughing when I opened the cat. 
  • Options
    TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I got a candy necklace and a half-eaten PBJ with chips in a Disney Princess Ziploc bag at my bridal shower. It was meant to be a gag gift because my friend didn't have time to go to the store to get a "real gift". I haven't received the "real gift" yet, so I sent her a thank you card for the candy necklace, sandwich and chips.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We got a Hello Kitty Toaster from my husband's uncle.

It leaves an imprint of Hello Kitty on your toast.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards