Wedding Etiquette Forum

WEDDING HAS HAPPENED UPDATE - Rude Rsvp (?) WWYD?

Re: WEDDING HAS HAPPENED UPDATE - Rude Rsvp (?) WWYD?

• zitiqueen said:

laradoll said:

LMc0322 said:

That's another thing-- 'rough' kids? I've never been to a wedding where kids beat the hell out of each other.
    He thinks my family is a bit 'rough' why I have no idea - we just aren't as posh as FI family (this cousins side especially) But we certainly aren't going to beat you up.
    How do I say this. My family is mostly Working class made good. FI family are very good made better

You don't! Your FI does!

Seriously, this is exactly none of your responsibility. He needs to deal with his family, NOT YOU!

Correct me @laradoll if I am wrong but I think she was trying to figure out how to describe their families. I guess I might be in the minority that I don't see why she has to deal with her family only and he deals with his. Maybe it is because once I realized I wasn't getting important info on family holidays or camping trips because FH would get the email from his mom or aunt and forget to say something or forward it to me. I gave his mom and a couple aunts my email so they could send me the info directly vs relying on FH to tell me. I think it shows a united front on our part that we share responsibility of dealing with each others family. Maybe because we have known each other since birth and I did grow up with him and his parents, so his fa.iky has felt like my family my whole life.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kmmssg's wording is perfect. Either you or your fiance can be the one to deliver the "bad news." The child's "boyfriend" is not invited, see ya later, the end.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I can't wait to hear how this turned out. It's all just too rich!

An 8 year old bringing a "boyfriend"?! Give me a break! And how rude of them to insinuate that the other children there will be poorly behaved and bully their delicate, little flower of a daughter.

PUH-LEEEEZE!

As everyone is saying, stick to your guns. Honestly, I would respond very simply with, "I am sorry, but our guestlist is firm. We hope to see you, your wife and __________ there."

Likely, they won't show up... But that doesn't really seem like much of a loss at this point.

• edited May 2013

sorry. double post.

• 2.4k viewers for this post!
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• mc4dj13mc4dj13 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This is the most far-out thing I have heard (thus far) regarding RSVP responses. I think you handled it pretty well, considering the situation is almost comical (now that we know the daughter is not special needs)

There is no obligation to invite the main squeeze of this child, and his cousin should be glad your guest list is able to accommodate any children in the first place! If they pitch a fit then your reply is simply, "We will miss you at the wedding" Good luck !
  • Oh, you have to come back and give us an update if these whackjobs do end up attending your wedding!

Good job to your FI!
  • omg I've heard about indigo children! I think their parents believe they're old souls trapped in young bodies, or something (which is why they'd allow her to have a boyfriend, since she's not "really" 8). In the same article, there was some speculation that severely autistic children are actually communicating with the universe on a higher level, but I don't remember if they were "indigo children" or something else.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well this update made my morning. Good on your fiancé for saying what he needed to say and not entertaining these freaks. 
  • I had actually never heard this term.  So, of course, I went to Wikipedia: "Although no scientific studies give credibility to the existence of indigo children or their traits, the phenomenon appeals to some parents whose children have been diagnosed with learning disabilities and to parents seeking to believe that their children are special. Skeptics view this as a way for parents to avoid proper (and generally pharmaceutical) pediatric treatment or a psychiatric diagnosis. The list of traits used to describe the children has also been criticized for being vague enough to be applied to almost anyone".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Also I would give anything to find out what the parents of the "boyfriend" think of all this.  I bet this kid's teacher has the most hilarious stories ever.
  • allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    Wait, so if his daughter is an old soul and a mini-adult and blah blah blah... does that mean her "boyfriend" is as well? Or is his daughter a cradle robber???

ETA: sorry, forgot to put "boyfriend" in quotes :-)
  • Good for your FI! He handled it perfectly. This is definitely one of the craziest stories I've read on TK.
  • allispain said:
    Wait, so if his daughter is an old soul and a mini-adult and blah blah blah... does that mean her "boyfriend" is as well? Or is his daughter a cradle robber???

I WAS THINKING THAT. Only the opposite. I was terrified her special exceptions included dating someone far her senior.
  • LMc0322 said:
    allispain said:

I WAS THINKING THAT. Only the opposite. I was terrified her special exceptions included dating someone far her senior.
    How true - did they ever say how old the "boyfriend" is anyway? I'm too lazy to go back to the original post...
  • I should not have checked this thread when I should be getting ready for work. I think googling indigo children is going to be my new favorite time sucker.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

And here I thought I was a mauve kid

That poor child doesn't have a chance.

• Holy moly!  Does anyone else in FI's family know about this?  What do they have to say?  That little girl doesn't stand a chance in life with those crazy parents.
  • Omg I just. Wow.

Good for you and FI holding your ground. This guy sounds like an asshat. It's going to be an interesting road for that family...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    JFC just kill me now.
  • Wow.  thanks for the update.   They are cray-cray.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • OMG I've heard of Indigos! Apparently the first sign you have one is that they never follow the rules, and TELL you that they are too special to be bothered with your wishes.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• OMFG, this is the funniest thing I have ever read.   If the family shows and brings the "boyfriend" please send them a bill for his food.

• edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards