Wedding Etiquette Forum

WEDDING HAS HAPPENED UPDATE - Rude Rsvp (?) WWYD?

Re: WEDDING HAS HAPPENED UPDATE - Rude Rsvp (?) WWYD?

• Can we have an AMA with this kid? I'm always up for a good laugh.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I will be the only indigo child at my wedding!!!

I have never heard that term, I will be googling. lol

OP, you and the FI did the right thing. I also hope, for your sake that those crazies do not attend your wedding! 
  • d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]

Are you or your children an indigo?

These are the characteristics of an indigo as stated in The Care and Feeding of Your Indigo Child:

Strong willed

Born in 1978 or later

Headstrong

Creative, with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc.

Prone to addictions

An "old soul" as if they’re 13 going on 43

Intuitive or psychic, possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people

An isolationist, either through aggressive acting-out, or through fragile introversion

Independent and proud, even if they’re constantly asking you for money

Possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way

Wavers between low self-esteem and grandiosity

Bores easily

Has probably been diagnosed as having ADD or ADHD

Prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep

Has a history of depression, or even suicidal thoughts or attempts

Looks for real, deep, and lasting friendships

Easily bonds with plants or animals.

If you possess 14 or more of these traits you are an indigo. If 11 to 13, you’re probably an indigo in training. If you’re an adult with these traits you could be a "lightworker."
    [/QUOTE]

lol 
  • I feel like most of those describe just children. Your child isn't special because they talk back. They just do that.

And the "born after 1978" is the weirdest one to me.
  • I feel like most of those describe just children. Your child isn't special because they talk back. They just do that. And the "born after 1978" is the weirdest one to me.

I don't get that one either.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Jenni8412 said:
    I guess heaven was having some budgeting issues in 78, and that's when souls started getting recycled...?

Seriously, this whole thread made my day. And this quote made me laugh so loud I startled my coworkers.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• It's going to be interesting to see what type of adult she grows up to be.  She'll probably be living with her parents until she's 40 because no one else will treat her like the special snowflake she is....
    Anniversary
  • Please PLEASE send this in to the STFU, Parents blog!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wow... just... wow...

I think you and your Fi handled this very well, considering you're dealing with people who are clearly off their rocker.
    Poor child though, she's going to have a harsh dose of reality when she gets in the real world and not treated like the special snowflake she was brought up to believe she is.

I agree with all pp's in saying that we want an update when your wedding does happen.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• bbbb78bbbb78 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    reading update:
  • I know I haven't been here long, but I think this is my favorite thread ever.
  • akaneliakaneli member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hahaha sorry this is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard! Polite me agrees with PPs who think you should stand your ground, you have given them your answer the matter is closed. Period. ...."keeping it real" me would reply and say "sorry you feel this way. we will miss you there." Now I have heard it all. WOW! Good luck with that.
  • I'm just sad I didn't know about this term when I was a kid because I totally would have tried to tell my mom I was an indigo child and the inevitable "shut the f up, you're no longer my child" look on her face would have have sustained me through many a dark times in my life.
  • This is the sort of situation I don't want to believe is real, because then I have to admit that people like the cousin exist in the world.  I seriously would have started laughing about halfway through that conversation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This update made my night. That poor little girl has some wacko parents.

Good on your fiance for standing his ground!
  • This is insane.... 
    Just email her a link to the Wikipedia page on "Indigo Children"
    This is my favorite quote:
    "Critics have stated the promotion of indigo children is used as a way for unqualified people to make money from credulous parents through the sales of related products and services."

Seriously though, do it because there could actually be something wrong with her and her parents probably think, "nothing can be wrong with our perfect little girl" so maybe they need someone to knock them off their high horse and realize their child might have a mental illness or autism.  
    d2va said:
    [QUOTE]

These are the characteristics of an indigo as stated in The Care and Feeding of Your Indigo Child:

Strong willed

Born in 1978 or later

Headstrong

Prone to addictions

Intuitive or psychic, possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people

An isolationist, either through aggressive acting-out, or through fragile introversion

Bores easily

Prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep

If you possess 14 or more of these traits you are an indigo. If 11 to 13, you’re probably an indigo in training. If you’re an adult with these traits you could be a "lightworker."
    [/QUOTE]

lol 
    I'm assuming whatever "credible" indigo child institution that came up with this "test" is going ask for money the moment you say, "My goodness! That's my child to a T!"
    I fall into 11 of these and the rest, I don't want to be so please no "training" for me. Seriously though, they "train" kids to be more like this? wtf...
  • d2va said:
    [QUOTE]

Strong willed

Born in 1978 or later

Headstrong

Prone to addictions

Bores easily

[/QUOTE]

lol 

Apparently I'm Indigo in Training.  Who knew?
  • Oh, PLEASE. Seriously??? I've been invited to several weddings where I wasn't even allowed my +1--as an adult in a long-term, committed relationship (who I am now marrying, FWIW). These people need therapy, and that kid probably needs a puppy. -.- 
  • Salsera29 said:
    This is one of those times I'm so happy I don't teach in a wealthy area. I'm going to take a leap here and say there is probably some sort of correlation between "indigo child" and annual income. 

Agreed, this is definitely a first world problem if I've ever heard one.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • According the the "test" I was an Indigo. Guess what that meant? It meant I still had to follow rules! Like every normal child!!!

These New Age people are just, well, odd. And I'm being polite cause I'm officially in my 30 min to weekend mode. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OneLuckyNurseOneLuckyNurse member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I have a minor in psychology and am a nurse in a Children's hospital and Have never even heard of this. So entertaining to read about it! Its actually really funny to read it talk about it actually child psychology journals...lets just say that it is not an accepted diagnosis :) I had a lot of these traits growing up...but if I acted like a spoiled brat I would get a stern talking too not special treatment! Sheesh this cracks me up. Good luck with the hassle of all this. I would love an after wedding update!

Visit The Knot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited May 2013
    They sound completely nuts, and your reply was appropriately polite. There's no rule that says her parents have to bring her if she or they are not comfortable without her creepy little boyfriend. If it's important to them to come, they can hire a babysitter. 
  • It bothers me that they are enabling this child to be this way.  Future of america, everyone--FML!  I sure hope you are invited to her wedding at 12 when she gets knocked up by her boyfriend.

Anniversary
  • Most favorite Knot post so far!!!
  • runpipparunrunpipparun member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    We just got an RSVP back from my dad's old work colleague, his wife, and their 3 kids (ages 8, 8, and 6). I'm pretty sure they might be "indigo children," after reading this... They've have been known to run round naked at pool parties and other public occasions because their mom wants them to feel "free." Last time they came to our house, they pilfered some of our belongings, and I had to barter them back, because their parents don't believe in scolding them.

I suppose I should be glad the 8 y/o's aren't bringing their partners.
  • Maybe the daughter should just stay home.  Stick to your guns and cross your fingers the whole family declines. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards